Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I'm not going to dig through this massive argument by web link of sources that are known to promulgate fake news, but I will address one point you elaborated on:

Even Snopes has debunked this one:

What's True
    During a Feb. 28, 2020, campaign rally in South Carolina, President Donald Trump likened the Democrats' criticism of his administration's response to the new coronavirus outbreak to their efforts to impeach him, saying "this is their new hoax." ...

What's False
    Despite creating some confusion with his remarks, Trump did not call the coronavirus itself a hoax.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...-rally-remark/

Don't be so gullible, and stop playing politics with this situation. It's disgusting.
    The disgusting part is your continued avoidance of the truth.

But I will grant you one morsel. As poorly as Trump's statement was constructed, it is possible for it to mean things other than that the virus itself was the hoax he was referring to.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 03-18-2020, 02:23 PM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      The only part I disagree with here is the part I bolded/emphasized. I don't think Trump ever said the virus itself was a hoax. What he said was that the Democrats were blowing it all out of proportion and politicizing it. I am not naive enough to think the Democrats were NOT politicizing the issue, but it's rather easy to hit a lobbed softball. Trump was messing up the response badly, giving the Democrats ample room to point to his failings and say, "we need better."

It's one of those things where pure motivations are basically not possible: they could get traction with a public that needed to be warned while simultaneously emphasizing the shortcomings of a political opponent that does not lack for shortcomings. Win-win.
      I think what the 'this' is in his statement is vague at best. But the plain truth is syntactically the most direct reference is the pandemic itself. But I will grant it is possible he was not referring to the pandemic itself. Given his attempts to play it down - to point of absurdity up to the last few days - it is not hard to make the case he was in fact referring to the Pandemic itself.

Though I am not referring to you here in a negative way, I find it just so amazingly sad that the focus so far on that list is the one item I listed that has some ambivalence and not the other 7 items and their supporting information and/or videos showing Trump making absurd and irrefutably false or inappropriate statements about this situation.

My bad for not sticking to those statements - there are so many solid, irrefutable events I had no need to reference anything that could be the subject of any real debate.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        I'll just point out something concerning the first two sources cited:
        throw you folks a stack of evidence a mile high and you'll sift through it and make a 4 page long case on the one micron thick sheet that might, maybe, not support the argument 100%.

Whatever handwaving you may engage in, the one element that shines through oh so loud and clear: When it comes to Donald Trump you are not even remotely interested in what is the truth.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          The disgusting part is your continued avoidance of the truth.

But I will grant you one morsel. As poorly as Trump's statement was constructed, it is possible for it to mean things other than that the virus itself was the hoax he was referring to.
          STOPposting.jpg
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Whatever handwaving you may engage in, the one element that shines through oh so loud and clear: When it comes to Donald Trump you are not even remotely interested in what is the truth.
            CEPG0BtWoAAlovd.jpg
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Is it really so hard for you to openly admit that you were suckered by fake news?
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Store food rationing are starting to happen in some countries. How crazy would it be if food rationing becomes a global thing?
                Last edited by seanD; 03-18-2020, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                  Wait!! I don't know how to handle a situation where we might agree with each other

Please. Can you just edit your post?
                  I could...

ETA: I noticed a few of the other posts after I posted this. I try, Mike, not to make definitive statements about things I cannot gather facts on, or to eliminate possibilities I cannot honestly eliminate. The fact is, your scenario is a possibility. So is the possibility that they have a superior treatment approach. So is the possibility that their demographics trend younger, or that the vast majority of their cases were among the young. I don't have enough information to make a definitive statement, so I don't make a definitive statement. That is why my post noted the situation and raised the question, without taking a stance. If that makes me "slippery" or "like nailing jello to the wall," I can live with it. Worse things have been said about me.
                  Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-18-2020, 03:24 PM.
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• In response to the present situation, Hillary demands that voting by mail become the norm.

In other words, Hillary demands that rampant cheating and voter fraud become the norm.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...mail-the-norm/
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Is it really so hard for you to openly admit that you were suckered by fake news?
                      Is really so hard for you to admit Donald Trump has bungled the response to COVID-19, and that a large number of your preferred news sources did and possibly still are misinforming the public as to the dangers this virus represents?

Comment

I think what the 'this' is in his statement is vague at best. But the plain truth is syntactically the most direct reference is the pandemic itself. But I will grant it is possible he was not referring to the pandemic itself. Given his attempts to play it down - to point of absurdity up to the last few days - it is not hard to make the case he was in fact referring to the Pandemic itself.

Though I am not referring to you here in a negative way, I find it just so amazingly sad that the focus so far on that list is the one item I listed that has some ambivalence and not the other 7 items and their supporting information and/or videos showing Trump making absurd and irrefutably false or inappropriate statements about this situation.

My bad for not sticking to those statements - there are so many solid, irrefutable events I had no need to reference anything that could be the subject of any real debate.
                        As I noted, that was the only item on your list I disagreed with. Trump is, IMO, a travesty. He cannot be out of that office soon enough, though my preference would be for him to be voted out on 11/3. Right now, I'll feeling pretty good about that possibility. More and more of the people I know who voted for him in 2016 are disgusted with him and looking to turn elsewhere in 2016. Trump's base is doggedly devoted to him and shows every sign of defending anything he says or does. His strong opposition is just as solidly against him (and I count myself in that number). It is the moderates and the independents he has to swing, and I have high hopes that he has lost a tremendous amount of their support. When we remember that he only won by less than 100,000 votes in three states, and we see the outcome of the last several election cycles, I am very hopeful.
                        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]43347[/ATTACH]
                          No.

Comment

In response to the present situation, Hillary demands that voting by mail become the norm.

In other words, Hillary demands that rampant cheating and voter fraud become the norm.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...mail-the-norm/
                            I don't think voting by mail is a very good solution. But there are ways to implement a means of electronic voting from home that could be more secure than the current in person systems.

Comment

Is really so hard for you to admit Donald Trump has bungled the response to COVID-19, and that a large number of your preferred news sources did and possibly still are misinforming the public as to the dangers this virus represents?
                              Iron E.jpg

This coming from someone who continues to post things as fact that various fact checkers (many of whom don't have any love for Trump like AP and Snopes) have beat into a fine pink mist, and yet you write about how anyone who doesn't continue to disseminate such demonstrable falsehoods as sources who "are misinforming the public."

Then again I really should no longer be surprised at the level of TDS displayed by anyone who still pushes the collusion delusion even after that was terminally refute by Mueller's report and later testimony.
                              Last edited by rogue06; 03-18-2020, 03:46 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]43352[/ATTACH]

This coming from someone who continues to post things as fact that various fact checkers (many of whom don't have any love for Trump like AP and Snopes) have beat into a fine pink mist, and yet you write about how anyone who doesn't continue to disseminate such demonstrable falsehoods as sources who "are misinforming the public."

Then again I really should no longer be surprised at the level of TDS displayed by anyone who still pushes the collusion delusion even after that was terminally refute by Mueller's report and later testimony.
                                nice attempt at obfuscation and diversion. This thread is about covid19

Comment