Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
    What will be the backlash if the vaccine does not work perfectly? What will be the backlash if animals (birds) play a role in spread? What will the response be if it does become pandemic and people realize that our health care system does not have the slack capacity (factory model) to handle cases?

Doctors and epidemiologists classify vaccines into two broad categories, perfect vaccines both protect the individual from getting a severe case of the illness and prevent the vaccinated individuals from spreading the disease. We have vaccines for many diseases which are not released because they do not prevent those vaccinated from shedding the disease.

If poultry or hogs (bats are a likely vector, but few have contact with bats) are a pool of potential contagion, as with some of the flu viruses, then it is unlikely that the disease will be eradicated, rather it will become a persistent disease.

We do expect godlike results from doctors at CDC, WHO, public health services, big Pharm, and at universities (I think I covered the major players), and are outraged when the recommendations resemble a form of triage. Triage plays a role only when the local health care is overwhelmed as in war and epidemics.

Epidemics depend on coordination of public health and health care itself, there are relatively few vacant beds across the system, due to efficiency concerns. Only acute case typically land in hospitals. We chose to reduce our ability to respond to epidemics as part of cost cutting measure.
    Hate to tell you this, but very few hospitals are equipped to deal with a rapidly spreading virus.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      secretly conduct nefarious experiments on the population.
      There is much precedent for that.

But one fact many may not know about San Francisco's fog is that in 1950, the US military conducted a test to see whether it could be used to help spread a biological weapon in a "simulated germ-warfare attack." This was just the start of many such tests around the country that would go on in secret for years.

The test was a success, as Rebecca Kreston explains over at Discover Magazine, and "one of the largest human experiments in history." But, as she writes, it was also "one of the largest offenses of the Nuremberg Code since its inception." The code stipulates that "voluntary, informed consent" is required for research participants, and that experiments that might lead to death or disabling injury are unacceptable.

The unsuspecting residents of San Francisco certainly could not consent to the military's germ-warfare test, and there's good evidence that it could have caused the death of at least one resident of the city, Edward Nevin, and hospitalized 10 others.

This is a crazy story; one that seems like it must be a conspiracy theory. An internet search will reveal plenty of misinformation and unbelievable conjecture about these experiments. But the core of this incredible tale is documented and true. It all began in late September 1950, when over a few days, a Navy vessel used giant hoses to spray a fog of two kinds of bacteria, Serratia marcescens and Bacillus globigii — both believed at the time to be harmless — out into the fog, where they disappeared and spread over the city.

"It was noted that a successful BW [biological warfare] attack on this area can be launched from the sea, and that effective dosages can be produced over relatively large areas," concluded a later-declassified military report, cited by the Wall Street Journal. Successful indeed, according to Leonard Cole, the director of the Terror Medicine and Security Program at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School. His book, "Clouds of Secrecy," documents the military's secret bioweapon tests over populated areas. Cole wrote:

Nearly all of San Francisco received 500 particle minutes per liter. In other words, nearly every one of the 800,000 people in San Francisco exposed to the cloud at normal breathing rate (10 liters per minute) inhaled 5,000 or more particles per minute during the several hours that they remained airborne.

This was among the first but far from the last of these sorts of tests.

Tests included the large-scale releases of bacteria in the New York City subway system, on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, and in National Airport.
      Over the next 20 years, the military would conduct 239 "germ-warfare" tests over populated areas, according to news reports from the 1970s (after the secret tests had been revealed) in The New York Times, The Washington Post, Associated Press, and other publications (via Lexis-Nexis), and also detailed in congressional testimony from the 1970s.

These tests included the large-scale releases of bacteria in the New York City subway system, on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, and in National Airport just outside Washington, DC.

In a 1994 congressional testimony, Cole said that none of this had been revealed to the public until a 1976 newspaper story revealed the story of a few of the first experiments — though at least a Senate subcommittee had heard testimony about experiments in New York City in 1975, according to a 1995 Newsday report.
      https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...ancisco-2015-7
      Some things are conspiracy facts.

Is what Darfius claiming true? Demi really can't tell.
      Last edited by demi-conservative; 03-03-2020, 11:26 AM.
      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        Hate to tell you this, but very few hospitals are equipped to deal with a rapidly spreading virus.
        None. The ones which can specifically handle it are small, relatively few beds available.

So what is your point, that we should panic if it develops into a catastrophe? Ebola was contained in a part of the world with almost no health care infrastructure.

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
          None. The ones which can specifically handle it are small, relatively few beds available.

So what is your point, that we should panic if it develops into a catastrophe? Ebola was contained in a part of the world with almost no health care infrastructure.
          Ebola wasn't airborne.

Comment

• Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• https://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/...bs-to-9-619668

The total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Washington state rose on Tuesday to 27, including nine deaths, up from 18 cases and six deaths a day earlier, the state Department of Health reported.

The deaths - eight in King County and one in neighboring Snohomish County - mark the first fatalities documented in the United States from the respiratory illness. All 27 confirmed cases are clustered in those two counties in the greater Seattle area, making it the largest concentration detected to date by the U.S. public health system.

Ok, again, my hysteria may be affecting my math here, but that's around a 30% case fatality rate, isn't it? Is that bigger than .1%? Oh, that reminds me...

https://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/...ainable-619641

About 3.4% of confirmed cases of COVID-19 have died, far above seasonal flu's fatality rate of under 1%, but the novel coronavirus can be contained, the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a Geneva news conference: "To summarize, COVID-19 spreads less efficiently than flu, transmission does not appear to be driven by people who are not sick, it causes more severe illness than flu, there are not yet any vaccines or therapeutics, and it can be contained."Tedros said that he had spoken with Thomas Bach, president of the International Olympic Committee about the 2020 Tokyo Olympics due to open in July. "I think deciding now would be too early, it would be good to monitor the situation," he said.

The "official" sources are admitting this is worse than the flu now, so we can finally lay that nonsense to rest. But don't worry, it can be contained. How, you may ask? You don't need to know that. Just trust the guys who stand to lose half a billion dollars in funding if they label this a pandemic [World "Health" Organization].

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Ebola wasn't airborne.
                True, it did spread through different means. Ebola was contained, and that represents a significant victory for the multinational response. The US took a leading role in the first outbreak in west Africa, it played a lesser, supporting tole in the Congo. Ebola has had a death rate of 1 out of 3, to 2 our of 3 in Africa.

The CDC and WHO evolved their strategies over time, in response to conditions. The responses changed, what worked in 2015 did not work in 2019. But it did dump in 1/3 of a billion dollars into the DRC (Congo). There is no approved treatment for ebola, everything is experimental.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doofus View Post
                  Ok, again, my hysteria may be affecting my math here, but that's around a 30% case fatality rate, isn't it? Is that bigger than .1%?
                  Like I told Tass, percentages are largely meaningless when dealing with such a small sample size. We also don't know how many people have actually had the virus but recovered without seeking treatment, meaning they never got into the system and therefore wouldn't be counted in any mortality stats.

But, no, you continue with your loony conspiracy hysterics because governments around the world are obviously using the coronavirus to cull the population.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Like I told Tass, percentages are largely meaningless when dealing with such a small sample size. We also don't know how many people have actually had the virus but recovered without seeking treatment, meaning they never got into the system and therefore wouldn't be counted in any mortality stats.

But, no, you continue with your loony conspiracy hysterics because governments around the world are obviously using the coronavirus to cull the population.
                    Scripture Verse: Matthew 12:36

But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

• Originally posted by Darfius View Post
                      https://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/...bs-to-9-619668

The total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Washington state rose on Tuesday to 27, including nine deaths, up from 18 cases and six deaths a day earlier, the state Department of Health reported.

The deaths - eight in King County and one in neighboring Snohomish County - mark the first fatalities documented in the United States from the respiratory illness. All 27 confirmed cases are clustered in those two counties in the greater Seattle area, making it the largest concentration detected to date by the U.S. public health system.
                      Wasn't this pretty much within a nursing center? You know, a place for the elderly who can no longer take care of themselves. A place full of people (the aged and infirmed) who everyone agrees have a much higher fatality rate when they contract the virus.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Darfius View Post
                        Scripture Verse: Matthew 12:36

But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment.

© Copyright Original Source

"He said to him, 'I will condemn you with your own words, you wicked servant!'"
                        -Luke 19:22

Comment

• So are we just going to ignore the fact all these old geezers vying for the potus are highly vulnerable, and at a time they're in contact with large crowds?

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            So are we just going to ignore the fact all these old geezers vying for the potus are highly vulnerable, and at a time they're in contact with large crowds?
                            Now that you've brought it up, what exactly do you expect us to do about it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Antibiotics don't work on viruses. What we have to fight the flu are vaccines. They are dead or weakened forms of the virus (basically parts of the virus genome) that stimulate your body to produce the correct antibodies. That will hopefully mean if you do catch the flu, your antibodies will quickly eliminate it before you feel any symptoms, or you will only get a weak form of the flu.

Antibiotics only work on bacterial infections. They are basically poisons that kill bacteria or stop their reproduction.
                              But can't ABs be useful against opportunistic bacterial co-infections in flu patients?
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Wasn't this pretty much within a nursing center? You know, a place for the elderly who can no longer take care of themselves. A place full of people (the aged and infirmed) who everyone agrees have a much higher fatality rate when they contract the virus.
                                Yes, basically a sealed system filled with the most vulnerable targets in relatively close proximity.
                                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment