Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Paid family Leave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paid family Leave?

https://www.crisismagazine.com/2020/...isan-concensus

Three proposed plans to fund paid leave (we currently have unpaid leave):

1.) use retirement funds (like IRA); does not use any new tax, but it draws on monies needed for retiremnt

2.) Medicare type funding, a 0.2% tax to create a general fund, but can also be used to care for sick relatives. A direct tax increase.

3.) a plan to allow parents to 'borrow" from the child tax credit (there is a child tax credit which is a type of payment, not a deduction) and then pay it back in yearly installments through a reduced child tax credit. (take 5,000 now, receive 1,000 bucks less for five years)

I am not sure that one can briefly summarize any complex idea in a single line without "misrepresenting" it in some way. However, I do think it possible to discuss it, even though the OP may be imperfectly written. I doubt anyone really wants to read a 5,000 word OP which manages to accurately represent the bills which no one will read. I did try to accurately portray the substance of the bills, as well as the pluses and minuses.

Here is one article on it. https://www.crisismagazine.com/2020/...isan-concensus

When our first child was born my wife was working at a university in Sydney. She received a full year paid maternity leave and another year of unpaid leave which she took. That was fully paid by the University.

I received one month paid paternity leave which was paid by the government and two months paid by my employer.

It’s pretty good here in Australia.

Comment

As someone who has had to use FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) twice in the last 5 years (personal medical issues) I think the current system is pretty good. Basically the FMLA guarantees that the company can't fire you for having to take off up to 3 months from work. Most companies will offer a short and long term disability leave that coincides with the FMLA to pay you while you are out. That is how the company I work for handles it. The short term disability is handled by the company and the long term (which kicks in after 3 months) is paid for through insurance. of course by the time the long term kicks in the FMLA runs out and the company can replace you. But at least in my case, the disability will pay 60% of my salary until I reach 65. And as it is disability, I believe is tax free so that means the 60% is pretty close to my take home pay. Haven't had to use that yet. Plus if you were permanently disabled you could also get social security disability.

Comment

Why should the government interfere in and regulate the labour market? Why not let it be a free market?
        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
          Why should the government interfere in and regulate the labour market? Why not let it be a free market?
          Is the free market al effective in arriving at just decisions?

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
            Why shouldn't it be, when there's the magical invisible hand?

Comment

Pay is given for work done. Why should there be pay when no work is done?

Comment

How the heck did we manage all these years without it...
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  How the heck did we manage all these years without it...
                  So why do we need protections against child labour and this FMLA?

Comment

My ungenerous nature does not agree with anyone having to pay for other people having children.

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post
                      My ungenerous nature does not agree with anyone having to pay for other people having children.
                      I even begrudge the neighbour's their screaming children that they visit on me!! A very high price to pay for their decision to be fruitful and multiply.

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post
                        I even begrudge the neighbour's their screaming children that they visit on me!! A very high price to pay for their decision to be fruitful and multiply.
                        How many ultimately view children, and by extension, life, as a burden, an expense, an inappropriate use of funds?

How many see spending on families and children as part of the common good?

Many families find the financial constraints to be the insurmountable barrier to life and being open to children. So is it a political issue, of balanced budget and political goals, or a religious issue of openness to life?

Comment

How many ultimately view children, and by extension, life, as a burden, an expense, an inappropriate use of funds?

How many see spending on families and children as part of the common good?

Many families find the financial constraints to be the insurmountable barrier to life and being open to children. So is it a political issue, of balanced budget and political goals, or a religious issue of openness to life?
                          It's a personal issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            It's a personal issue.
                            ???

Viewing children as a burden and an expense is a personal issue? Those are one root cause for abortions!

Getting an abortion is also a personal issue, but that argument is rejected by many Christians. Yes, I believe abortion is a personal issue, but also one which the Church has much to say. And I do believe that the laws on permissive abortion are a catastrophe.

Openness to life is not the same as "quiverfull".

Comment

???

Viewing children as a burden and an expense is a personal issue? Those are one root cause for abortions!

Getting an abortion is also a personal issue, but that argument is rejected by many Christians. Yes, I believe abortion is a personal issue, but also one which the Church has much to say. And I do believe that the laws on permissive abortion are a catastrophe.

Openness to life is not the same as "quiverfull".
                              Whether to have children or not is a personal issue. Whether you kill those that are already alive is not.

Whether a couple decides to have children or not, and for what reasons is none of anyone's business. If they feel having children would be a burden then they shouldn't have them. It's their decision. Raising children is a huge responsibility.

Comment