Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

VEXIT - WV Governor invites Virginia counties to secede

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VEXIT - WV Governor invites Virginia counties to secede

The West Virginia state legislature has proposed a bill to admit some Virginia counties to the Mountain State, as Virginia threatens to limit its citizens’ second amendment rights. The resolution, which passed through the West Virginia Senate on January 13, was drafted and introduced by Judiciary Committee Chairman Charles Trump, IV (R) of Morgan County.

“Providing for an election to be had, pending approval of the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Virginia, and a majority of qualified citizens voting upon the proposition prior to August 1, 2020, for the admission of certain counties and independent cities of the Commonwealth of Virginia to be admitted to the State of West Virginia as constituent counties, under the provisions of Article VI, Section 11 of the Constitution of West Virginia,” the bill begins.

A bill banning assault weapons passed through the Virginia House of Delegates Committee on Public Safety Thursday morning with a vote of 12-9. HB 961 would ban the sale of certain semi-automatic firearms, including AR-15 style rifles. However, it would not require current owners of assault weapons to turn them in or register them with state police, which some earlier proposals required.

According to the Associated Press, more than 100 cities, towns and counties in Virginia have passed resolutions to become Second Amendment sanctuaries. Gun rights and abortion issues are among the main concerns of constituents in these locations.

In the meantime, one Virginia man has created a “Vexit” petition due to the state’s gun control policies. Additionally, Campbell County attorney and conservative activist, Rick Boyer, says he will follow through with a plan to add “Vexit” on the 2020 ballot, citing the state’s gun control measures.

“People are just realizing the brand new Virginia is not the Virginia I grew up in and my kids are not going to grow up in the same level of freedom that I enjoyed and they want to do something about it,” Boyer said. “I think a large part of Virginia is realizing we are not represented by the current legislation and the current Governor.”

On January 30, the Virginia House of Delegates passed seven pieces of legislation dealing with gun control, just over a week after Second Amendment supporters held a rally in Richmond. However, on Monday, Virginia lawmakers rejected a gun control bill proposed by Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam.

West Virginia’s Governor Jim Justice (R) has the bold vision of his state, which he often calls a “diamond in the rough,” competing on the national stage. But with an aging population, West Virginia is projected to lose one of its three seats in the U.S. House of Representatives following the 2020 Census.

“I don’t really want to meddle nor will I meddle with what’s going on in Virginia, but if you’re unhappy with where you’re at, and West Virginia is going like West Virginia is going, we want you to come,” Justice told Fox News.

The targeted counties in Virginia include Frederick County, along the border of West Virginia’s Eastern Panhandle. Most of the land that comprises of six West Virginia counties was once a part of Frederick County. Virginia lost that land when West Virginia became a state in 1863, after delegates decided to secede form a new state.

Frederick County Board of Supervisors chairman at-large Chuck DeHaven told the Herald-Mail that the county is not interested in leaving Virginia.

Governor Justice, who is currently running for re-election, has said he would welcome Virginians who would like to join the Mountain State. He is facing a primary challenge from multiple Republicans, including his former Secretary of Commerce, Woody Thrasher. Thrasher resigned in June 2018 at Justice’s request after 18 months on the job.

https://saraacarter.com/vexit-could-...r-gun-control/

WV is a constitutional carry state, you can carry concealed without a permit.

Interesting.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It would be a mess if the joining counties were not bordering WV.

Comment

I wish there were a way we could get some of them to join Pennsyltucky, to balance out the deep blue zones around Pittsburgh and Philly.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          The West Virginia state legislature has proposed a bill to admit some Virginia counties to the Mountain State, as Virginia threatens to limit its citizens’ second amendment rights. The resolution, which passed through the West Virginia Senate on January 13, was drafted and introduced by Judiciary Committee Chairman Charles Trump, IV (R) of Morgan County.

“Providing for an election to be had, pending approval of the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Virginia, and a majority of qualified citizens voting upon the proposition prior to August 1, 2020, for the admission of certain counties and independent cities of the Commonwealth of Virginia to be admitted to the State of West Virginia as constituent counties, under the provisions of Article VI, Section 11 of the Constitution of West Virginia,” the bill begins.

A bill banning assault weapons passed through the Virginia House of Delegates Committee on Public Safety Thursday morning with a vote of 12-9. HB 961 would ban the sale of certain semi-automatic firearms, including AR-15 style rifles. However, it would not require current owners of assault weapons to turn them in or register them with state police, which some earlier proposals required.

According to the Associated Press, more than 100 cities, towns and counties in Virginia have passed resolutions to become Second Amendment sanctuaries. Gun rights and abortion issues are among the main concerns of constituents in these locations.

In the meantime, one Virginia man has created a “Vexit” petition due to the state’s gun control policies. Additionally, Campbell County attorney and conservative activist, Rick Boyer, says he will follow through with a plan to add “Vexit” on the 2020 ballot, citing the state’s gun control measures.

“People are just realizing the brand new Virginia is not the Virginia I grew up in and my kids are not going to grow up in the same level of freedom that I enjoyed and they want to do something about it,” Boyer said. “I think a large part of Virginia is realizing we are not represented by the current legislation and the current Governor.”

On January 30, the Virginia House of Delegates passed seven pieces of legislation dealing with gun control, just over a week after Second Amendment supporters held a rally in Richmond. However, on Monday, Virginia lawmakers rejected a gun control bill proposed by Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam.

West Virginia’s Governor Jim Justice (R) has the bold vision of his state, which he often calls a “diamond in the rough,” competing on the national stage. But with an aging population, West Virginia is projected to lose one of its three seats in the U.S. House of Representatives following the 2020 Census.

“I don’t really want to meddle nor will I meddle with what’s going on in Virginia, but if you’re unhappy with where you’re at, and West Virginia is going like West Virginia is going, we want you to come,” Justice told Fox News.

The targeted counties in Virginia include Frederick County, along the border of West Virginia’s Eastern Panhandle. Most of the land that comprises of six West Virginia counties was once a part of Frederick County. Virginia lost that land when West Virginia became a state in 1863, after delegates decided to secede form a new state.

Frederick County Board of Supervisors chairman at-large Chuck DeHaven told the Herald-Mail that the county is not interested in leaving Virginia.

Governor Justice, who is currently running for re-election, has said he would welcome Virginians who would like to join the Mountain State. He is facing a primary challenge from multiple Republicans, including his former Secretary of Commerce, Woody Thrasher. Thrasher resigned in June 2018 at Justice’s request after 18 months on the job.

https://saraacarter.com/vexit-could-...r-gun-control/

WV is a constitutional carry state, you can carry concealed without a permit.
          Just your run of the mill republican nut job idea.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Just your run of the mill republican nut job idea.
            It's been done before. unlike states seceding, counties have done so in the past. Especially from Virginia. That's how West Virginia was formed in the first place.

It just seems like Governor Northam doesn't give a crap about the fact that many of the counties in his state are outright rebelling against him and his policies. I think the right thing to do would be to vote him out of office, but the liberals in the urban areas out number the conservatives in the rest of the state, so whole counties are feeling unrepresented.

West Virginia is offering them a place to feel welcome. I fear that if they don't do something like this, there will be violence.

Comment

It's been done before. unlike states seceding, counties have done so in the past. Especially from Virginia. That's how West Virginia was formed in the first place.
              I don't think that turned out so well for them.
              It just seems like Governor Northam doesn't give a crap about the fact that many of the counties in his state are outright rebelling against him and his policies. I think the right thing to do would be to vote him out of office, but the liberals in the urban areas out number the conservatives in the rest of the state, so whole counties are feeling unrepresented.
              Well that's what they did, they voted and they lost.
              West Virginia is offering them a place to feel welcome. I fear that if they don't do something like this, there will be violence.
              Yeah, every time a certain segment of the population doesn't get what they want they should secede to the neighboring state. That's not how democracy is supposed to work.

Comment

Yeah, every time a certain segment of the population doesn't get what they want they should secede to the neighboring state. That's not how democracy is supposed to work.
                Jimmy, states have done that, in the past.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Really? They actually seceded at the start of the Civil War and joined the North when Virginia joined the south. Guess which state won?

They had no idea what Northam was going to do at that time, and when they let him know their displeasure, he threatened to sick the police on them, except the police joined the people instead, so then he threatened to sick the National Guard on them. Is that the action of a rational governor? He has alienated a very large area of his own state.
                  When there is no other recourse, it makes sense. That is how the US itself was formed, JimL. And West Virginia. Heck many of the states started out as large states that were broken into smaller ones. Kentucky was also once part of Virginia and Tennessee was once part of North Carolina.

At least here we wouldn't have a new state but just a shuffling of the borders.

But I also agree it is a last resort. Hopefully they can oust Northam and repeal his unconstitutional laws.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim
                    Well that's what they did, they voted and they lost
                    Oh, the irony of that statement when you place it against the last presidential election.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      Oh, the irony of that statement when you place it against the last presidential election.
                      The one was a fair election, the other was in collusion with an adversary of the U.S., though a friend to Trump.

Comment

The one was a fair election, the other was in collusion with an adversary of the U.S., though a friend to Trump.
                        To the tune of "I love the Bunny Bunny" ---- The Bubble, the Bubble....
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Really? They actually seceded at the start of the Civil War and joined the North when Virginia joined the south. Guess which state won?
                          They didn't need to secede, half of them fought for the south anyway.

They had no idea what Northam was going to do at that time, and when they let him know their displeasure, he threatened to sick the police on them, except the police joined the people instead, so then he threatened to sick the National Guard on them. Is that the action of a rational governor? He has alienated a very large area of his own state.
                          They, the gun nuts, didn't vote for Northam anyway, and they lost.
                          When there is no other recourse, it makes sense.
                          No, the sensible thing to do when you lose an election is to recognize that you lost and try to win next time.
                          That is how the US itself was formed, JimL. And West Virginia. Heck many of the states started out as large states that were broken into smaller ones. Kentucky was also once part of Virginia and Tennessee was once part of North Carolina.
                          That was a bit of a different circumstance, the colonies were a distinct land mass on the other side of the ocean without a say in their governance.
                          At least here we wouldn't have a new state but just a shuffling of the borders.
                          Well, why not just declare a new state? We could potentially divide up every state in the country that way. We could have a 100 states, or more, instead of 50 if everytime a certain majority in part of a state doesn't like the results of the democratic process.
                          But I also agree it is a last resort. Hopefully they can oust Northam and repeal his unconstitutional laws.
                          I would say it's the only sensible resort in a democracy. If the law is unconstitutional, then there is a remedy for that as well.
                          Last edited by JimL; 02-09-2020, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Not a single American has been charged or proved to have colluded with Russia. You accept the lies of your masters well.
                            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                              Not a single American has been charged or proved to have colluded with Russia. You accept the lies of your masters well.
                              Hmmm, let's see, what would you call a campaign manager trading polling and geographic targeting data to the Russians? What would you call a President publicly asking the Russians to seek dirt on your political rival? What would you call a meeting in Trump tower with Russians who claimed to have dirt on your political rival. You accept the cover-up of your masters well.

Comment