Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Do we need to De-Israelize US foreign policy?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do we need to De-Israelize US foreign policy?

    Patrick Buchanan noted that the US congress was Israeli occupied territory, kicking off a dispute with Wm F Buckley, about thirty years ago.

    Today were are seeing a rise of paleo conservative voices in politics, with a rise in isolationist sentiment, not to mention a need to balance the budget. Aid to Israel is costly, as was the move of the embassy from Tel Aviv.

    Is that the direction we ought to move? Does Israel have an undue influence in US foreign policy?

    Is Netanyahu and his amen corner exhilerated?

  • #2
    demi will humour your obsession:

    Warren and other candidates are skipping AIPAC conferences, Omar was making essentially the same criticism as Buchanan.

    It's becoming bipartisan, the winds are changing.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by simplicio View Post
      Aid to Israel is costly, as was the move of the embassy from Tel Aviv.
      At what cost is it no longer feasible - money-wise - to move a US Embassy to that Country's Capital?
      "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        At what cost is it no longer feasible - money-wise - to move a US Embassy to that Country's Capital?
        I don't know. But I am quite sure that it was expensive. So I assume you think the costs, effects on the deficit, are less important than the symbolism of following Israel's lead. Not all countries mobed their embassy to Jerusalem.

        Do you think Israel wields undue influence on US policy?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by simplicio View Post
          Do you think Israel wields undue influence on US policy?
          No, I think we are supporting the only real Democracy and real friend in the area. And the embassy move wasn't that expensive, I believe we use a preexisting building.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by seer View Post
            No, I think we are supporting the only real Democracy and real friend in the area. And the embassy move wasn't that expensive, I believe we use a preexisting building.
            ^that.

            Israel is the only country over there who is genuinely an ally in the Middle East.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by simplicio View Post
              I don't know. But I am quite sure that it was expensive.
              So, when you said "Aid to Israel is costly, as was the move of the embassy from Tel Aviv", you were just making it up? No clue as to the actual cost?

              So I assume you think the costs, effects on the deficit, are less important than the symbolism of following Israel's lead.
              You can assume all you want, I just suspected you were making a statement out of ignorance, and decided to challenge you on it.

              Not all countries mobed their embassy to Jerusalem.
              And that's a standard by which a friend of Israel should decide our Embassy's location? It's a matter of recognizing Jerusalem as the Capital of Israel, as many other nations have done. Some of them have moved their Embassies to Jerusalem, some to the suburbs of Jerusalem, and some were already there.

              Do you have a point?

              Do you think Israel wields undue influence on US policy?
              I think we have a symbiotic relationship with Israel that benefits us both.
              "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                So, when you said "Aid to Israel is costly, as was the move of the embassy from Tel Aviv", you were just making it up? No clue as to the actual cost?

                You can assume all you want, I just suspected you were making a statement out of ignorance, and decided to challenge you on it.

                And that's a standard by which a friend of Israel should decide our Embassy's location? It's a matter of recognizing Jerusalem as the Capital of Israel, as many other nations have done. Some of them have moved their Embassies to Jerusalem, some to the suburbs of Jerusalem, and some were already there.

                Do you have a point?

                I think we have a symbiotic relationship with Israel that benefits us both.
                No, I do not know how much it cost us to move the embassy from Tel Aviv. I do know that it generated some comments at the time. But here is an article: https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...em-cost-2018-7 An embassy is more than just a building with a fence and an phone line hooked to it.

                Yes, the stampede of countries rushing to recognize include the United States, Guatemala, and Moldova, filling up the new Embassy Row in Jerusalem. Oh snap! Except Guatemala hasn't actually moved their embassy, and the Republic of Moldova can't quite seem to shake Russian influence in its foreign affairs! (Russia is reluctant to move its embassy to Jerusalem.) Rather odd that the Knesset declared Jerusalem to be the capitol of Israel in 1981. Took the United States 37 years to recognize where the capitol of Israel was, not sure how many other countries recognize the reality of Jerusalem as capitol of Israel.

                Sounds like you are making the statements out of ignorance!

                So I take that you approve of the special position Israel has in US foreign policy, that you do not see the relationship as just a foreign entanglement, and do not see it as a burdensome expense on the US balance sheet?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  ^that.

                  Israel is the only country over there who is genuinely an ally in the Middle East.
                  Why do we need an ally thousands of miles from our shores? Your answer carries definite globalist inference, where American interests extend beyond our secure borders and involve inserting us into the domestic squabbles of foreign, sovereign nations.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                    Why do we need an ally thousands of miles from our shores? Your answer carries definite globalist inference, where American interests extend beyond our secure borders and involve inserting us into the domestic squabbles of foreign, sovereign nations.
                    derp.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                      No, I do not know how much it cost us to move the embassy from Tel Aviv. I do know that it generated some comments at the time.
                      Shocking!!!!

                      But here is an article: https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...em-cost-2018-7 An embassy is more than just a building with a fence and an phone line hooked to it.

                      Yes, the stampede of countries rushing to recognize include the United States, Guatemala, and Moldova, filling up the new Embassy Row in Jerusalem. Oh snap! Except Guatemala hasn't actually moved their embassy, and the Republic of Moldova can't quite seem to shake Russian influence in its foreign affairs! (Russia is reluctant to move its embassy to Jerusalem.) Rather odd that the Knesset declared Jerusalem to be the capitol of Israel in 1981. Took the United States 37 years to recognize where the capitol of Israel was, not sure how many other countries recognize the reality of Jerusalem as capitol of Israel.

                      Sounds like you are making the statements out of ignorance!
                      Actually, I double checked what I thought I knew, and found it to be confirmed, so I was reserved in my statement. I think you're overreacting to having been exposed on your ignorance of all things Southern Baptist.

                      So I take that you approve of the special position Israel has in US foreign policy,
                      I do.

                      that you do not see the relationship as just a foreign entanglement,
                      I do not.

                      and do not see it as a burdensome expense on the US balance sheet?
                      Correct.
                      "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Shocking!!!!



                        Actually, I double checked what I thought I knew, and found it to be confirmed, so I was reserved in my statement. I think you're overreacting to having been exposed on your ignorance of all things Southern Baptist.



                        I do.



                        I do not.



                        Correct.

                        Not sure what you mean by finding confirmation of what you thought you knew.


                        I did find this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ions_in_Israel

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by simplicio View Post

                          Not sure what you mean by finding confirmation of what you thought you knew.


                          I did find this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ions_in_Israel
                          Why do you hate Jews so much?
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by seer View Post
                            Why do you hate Jews so much?
                            Is that trolling, Tweb style, or is there a point there?

                            My post has two lines, one pointing out that few countries have an embassy in contrast to cow pokes argument. The first line is a form of request for clarification of cow pokes convoluted sentence without explicitly stating that it was convoluted, or inferring that he used the indecipherable sentence structure to avoid admitting a mistake.

                            I suppose expressing a false fact about how countries recognize the capitol of Israel is the proper Christian stand to take and an expression of solidarity, as well as preferrable to being truthful.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                              Is that trolling, Tweb style, or is there a point there?

                              My post has two lines, one pointing out that few countries have an embassy in contrast to cow pokes argument. The first line is a form of request for clarification of cow pokes convoluted sentence without explicitly stating that it was convoluted, or inferring that he used the indecipherable sentence structure to avoid admitting a mistake.

                              I suppose expressing a false fact about how countries recognize the capitol of Israel is the proper Christian stand to take and an expression of solidarity, as well as preferrable to being truthful.
                              Yes, but why do you hate Jews?
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Mountain Man, Today, 10:00 AM
                              19 responses
                              84 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post whag
                              by whag
                               
                              Started by CivilDiscourse, Today, 06:45 AM
                              46 responses
                              179 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post thormas
                              by thormas
                               
                              Started by Cow Poke, Yesterday, 03:35 PM
                              33 responses
                              192 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post firstfloor  
                              Started by Ronson, Yesterday, 09:45 AM
                              34 responses
                              175 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Ronson
                              by Ronson
                               
                              Started by Sparko, Yesterday, 09:10 AM
                              4 responses
                              44 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Mountain Man  
                              Working...
                              X