Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How the Trump Administration's Israel-Palestine Peace Plan Will Change Middle East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    I won't support it. In fact, I don't like it.
    Me too.

Enough with handing out US tax dollars. Otherwise, it sounds fine.
    I think keeping the pressure on Iran would really help the "peace process", as much of the "Palestinian" warfare is simply Iran's proxies.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
      You would have a point if it was not front loaded by Jared Kushner with enough insults that the Israelis would need a lot of concessions and back room maneuverings to make it palatable to the Palestinians.

If the Israelis would need to make significant concessions, ot would hardly be in Israel's interests. Which is why I see the proposal as pandering to the base at home as well as Bebe's base, and less a serious proposal.

The irony is that I thought Trump would want to make a mark on history, and have bragging rights at deserving a Nobel Peace medal. An agreement is historic, Nobels have been awarded for proposals, and Obama got one right off the bat. The diplomacy surrounding this is counterproductive and inept if the goal was to actually encourage Palestinians bargain in good faith.
      The only way to make a deal "palatable to the Palestinians" is to arrange for Israel to disappear completely.

And given some of its recent recipients, I'm not sure a Nobel Peace prize is anything much to write home about.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Me too.

I think keeping the pressure on Iran would really help the "peace process", as much of the "Palestinian" warfare is simply Iran's proxies.
        Hopefully Iran's government is on the wane.

Palestinians want most or all of Israel and militants won't be satisfied with anything less. I don't see any solution to that - other than hoping all the militants die off eventually.

But this constant bribery and extortion of US tax money is frustrating. Carter pledged $2.5 billion of our tax money per year to Israel and Egypt if they would be friends. They're still getting it, IIRC. Pure extortion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
          Palestinians want most or all of Israel and militants won't be satisfied with anything less. I don't see any solution to that - other than hoping all the militants die off eventually.
          Good that you mentioned "militants", because by FAR, the Jews and "Palestianians" in Israel, particularly in Jerusalem, get along quite well, with many "Palestinians" depending on Jews for their employment and livelihood.

But this constant bribery and extortion of US tax money is frustrating. Carter pledged $2.5 billion of our tax money per year to Israel and Egypt if they would be friends. They're still getting it, IIRC. Pure extortion.
          I'm not a fan of these infamous quid-pro-quos.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            The only way to make a deal "palatable to the Palestinians" is to arrange for Israel to disappear completely.

And given some of its recent recipients, I'm not sure a Nobel Peace prize is anything much to write home about.
            So do you think this administration proposed a plan that they even believe is at all practical?

I criticized the diplomacy used by Jared, and you responded with how bad the Palestinians are.

Comment

So do you think this administration proposed a plan that they even believe is at all practical?
              Actually, yes:
              Source: Melanie Phillips

U.S. President Donald Trump's Middle East "deal of the century" offers the Palestinians a state. They have rejected it and threatened instead to ramp up violence against Israel.

No one can be surprised. They have rejected every offer of a state previously made to them in 1937, 1947, 2000, 2008 and 2014.

So is this latest deal anything more than Groundhog Day for the Middle East all over again? Yes, because this isn't a deal. It's an ultimatum.

Israel intends to enact its part in the plan unilaterally by declaring sovereignty over the Israeli settlement blocs and the Jordan Valley. The big change is that despite the subsequent crossed wires over timing, the United States will accept this.

That's because this isn't a "peace process" in which both sides must progress in tandem with each other — a process that gave the Palestinians an effective veto even while they continued to wage their war of extermination against Israel.
              ....The Trump plan won't bring peace; however, it restores the truth and justice that are essential prerequisites of peace. Crushing the lethal and poisonous fantasies about Israel and the Jewish people, as well as taking a hard-headed approach to Palestinian intentions, it replaces illusions by reality.

© Copyright Original Source

I criticized the diplomacy used by Jared, and you responded with how bad the Palestinians are.
              No, I responded with reality. That you want to pretend otherwise is not my problem.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

A proposal which strips some citizen of their citizenship rights is a good faith proposal? Many Israelis object to that clause.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...7c1_story.html

Comment

A proposal which strips some citizen of their citizenship rights is a good faith proposal? Many Israelis object to that clause.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...7c1_story.html
                  For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

That proposal, of course, is entirely arbitrary and conceived with malice aforethought.

"Many Israelis" object to all sorts of things; that doesn't make their objection valid. I'd say more, but the article is behind a paywall and you neglected to quote any of it.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

That proposal, of course, is entirely arbitrary and conceived with malice aforethought.

"Many Israelis" object to all sorts of things; that doesn't make their objection valid. I'd say more, but the article is behind a paywall and you neglected to quote any of it.
                    I firmly believe that citizenship rights are a basic and fundamental human right. The World War II era demonstrated the power of the passport (read: citizenship) as the premier advocate of human rights, not the vague but inspirational view advocated by the French Revolution (and enlightenment) view of rights, nor the toothless Christian view of rights as some universal.

I should provided a quote, apparently I hit my limit of free information, here is another but written with a different editorial stance: https://nationalinterest.org/blog/mi...zenship-117996

The peace plan “contemplates the possibility” of redrawing Israeli borders to exclude “the Triangle,” a cluster of Arab communities, according to a document published by the White House after Trump’s speech. Leaders of the Israeli Arab community feared that the plan could strip them of their rights.

Comment