Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Pompeo can't find Ukraine on a map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pompeo can't find Ukraine on a map

Even when it's pointed out to him.

Pompeo, our secretary of state, is now on record saying no American cares about Ukraine days before he travels to Ukraine.

Emails support NPR host after Pompeo calls her a liar in setting up contentious interview

By Paul Farhi
    Jan. 26, 2020 at 5:30 p.m. EST
    Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says an NPR host lied in setting up an interview with him on Friday, but email records support the journalist’s account of how the contentious exchange came to be.

In the emails Pompeo's aide, Martin, asked Kelly if she would be okay sticking with Iran.
    “Just wanted to touch base that we still intend to keep the interview to Iran tomorrow,” Martin wrote. “Know you just got back from Tehran so we would like to stick to Iran as the topic as opposed to jumping around. Is that something we can agree to?”

Kelly responded, “I am indeed just back from Tehran and plan to start there. Also Ukraine. And who knows what the news gods will serve up overnight. I never agree to take anything off the table.”

The news gods strike again.
    In an extraordinary statement issued on State Department letterhead on Saturday, Pompeo blasted Kelly for repeatedly asking him why he refused to express support for the former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine, Marie Yovanovitch. Kelly said afterward Pompeo berated her using profanity and challenged her to locate Ukraine on an unmarked map, which Kelly said she did.

Education
    Kelly graduated magna cum laude from Harvard University in 1993, with studying government and French literature. As a senior editor at The Harvard Crimson, she covered the 1992 Presidential election, and the first inauguration of President Bill Clinton.

In 1995, she completed her master's in European studies at Emmanuel College, Cambridge.

He should have believed the woman.

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Pompeo, our secretary of state, is now on record saying no American cares about Ukraine days before he travels to Ukraine.

Emails support NPR host after Pompeo calls her a liar in setting up contentious interview

By Paul Farhi
    Jan. 26, 2020 at 5:30 p.m. EST
    Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says an NPR host lied in setting up an interview with him on Friday, but email records support the journalist’s account of how the contentious exchange came to be.

In the emails Pompeo's aide, Martin, asked Kelly if she would be okay sticking with Iran.
    “Just wanted to touch base that we still intend to keep the interview to Iran tomorrow,” Martin wrote. “Know you just got back from Tehran so we would like to stick to Iran as the topic as opposed to jumping around. Is that something we can agree to?”

Kelly responded, “I am indeed just back from Tehran and plan to start there. Also Ukraine. And who knows what the news gods will serve up overnight. I never agree to take anything off the table.”

The news gods strike again.
    In an extraordinary statement issued on State Department letterhead on Saturday, Pompeo blasted Kelly for repeatedly asking him why he refused to express support for the former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine, Marie Yovanovitch. Kelly said afterward Pompeo berated her using profanity and challenged her to locate Ukraine on an unmarked map, which Kelly said she did.

Education
    Kelly graduated magna cum laude from Harvard University in 1993, with studying government and French literature. As a senior editor at The Harvard Crimson, she covered the 1992 Presidential election, and the first inauguration of President Bill Clinton.

In 1995, she completed her master's in European studies at Emmanuel College, Cambridge.

He should have believed the woman.

The Washington Post. OK.

'He says' vs 'she says' with a bunch of relevant info missing. Meh.
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Why does Pompeo go about with blank maps? What a creepy guy.
      Five Democrats on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee rebuked Pompeo for his response to Kelly in a letter to him on Saturday. “At a time when journalists around the world are being jailed for their reporting — and as in the case of Jamal Khashoggi, killed — your insulting and contemptuous comments are beneath the office of the Secretary of State,”
      WaPo
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
        The Washington Post. OK.

There are emails. Never trust anyone close to Trump.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

I seriously doubt anyone could function as Secretary of State without a strong working knowledge of geography. So I'm not buying it.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
            The Washington Post. OK.

Also, content of the post does not support the thread title.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
              Why does Pompeo go about with blank maps? What a creepy guy.

WaPo
              The Washington Compost quoting Democrats. Sure, that's credible.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                There are emails. Never trust anyone close to Trump.
                Let's see them, then. And a full transcript of the interview. Plus what his aides told Pompeo about the terms agreed for the interview.
                ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Yeah, I'm kinda wondering about that.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Like any good journalist, he's using misleading headlines and twisting peoples' words to imply meanings they obviously did not intend to convey. Gotta keep up that journalistic integrity!

I thought he was above mining the lifestyles section for serious news, but I apparently thought wrong.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                      Pompeo can't find Ukraine on a map

True journalism, everyone.
                      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Yeah, I'm kinda wondering about that.
                        You wonder correctly. For once MM has hit the nail on the head.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                          You wonder correctly. For once MM has hit the nail on the head.
                          Sweet of you to notice.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Like any good journalist, he's using misleading headlines and twisting peoples' words to imply meanings they obviously did not intend to convey. Gotta keep up that journalistic integrity!

I thought he was above mining the lifestyles section for serious news, but I apparently thought wrong.
                            It's not like this isn't being reported widely, including Pompeo's obscentity-laced rant and the blank map and the insinuation that a reporter with more years following foreign policy than Pompeo and a Cambridge masters in European studies who was just getting back from Tehran was pointing at Bangladesh.

If Pompeo had them confused, there's not a lot of options.

Of course, the obvious answer is that he's lying, but that wouldn't be generous.

Maybe he didn't speak with his aide before tweeting, either.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...tn-sot-vpx.cnn

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                              I seriously doubt anyone could function as Secretary of State without a strong working knowledge of geography. So I'm not buying it.
                              You would think the same was true for POTUS; unfortunately, it’s not. International geography is a challenge for Americans because you have a lot of states and nobody thought to arrange them in alphabetical order. No brain power left over for anything else.

Comment