Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

FISA court says Carter Page warrent invalid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FISA court says Carter Page warrent invalid

The FISA court officially acknowledged Thursday that the FBI submitted false information when obtaining warrants to surveil Trump campaign aide Carter Page. Therefore, the FISA warrants that were issued are invalid.

"Thanks in large part to the work of the Office of the Inspector General, U.S. Department of Justice, the Court has received notice of material misstatements and omissions in the applications filed by the government in the above-captioned dockets. See Docket No. Misc. 19-02, Order (Dec. 17, 2019; DOJ PIG, Review of Four FISA Applications and Other Aspects of the FBI's Crossfire Hurricane Investigation (Dec. 2019)," the court released in an order. "DOJ assesses that with respect to the applications in Docket Numbers 17-375 and 170679, 'if not earlier, there was insufficient predication to establish probable cause to believe that [Carter] Page was acting as an agent of a foreign power.'"

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...valid-n2560007

The FBI has agreed to “sequester” all information and evidence received as an outcome of all the FISA warrants issued against Carter Page. Meaning, all material, in any court proceeding or subsequent secondary warrant on another target, application, filing, motion, prosecution or downstream use of the information gathered and obtained; the FBI will now assemble all materials, from any location, that stemmed from the Carter Page FISA warrants.

In essence, the FBI will now look and retrieve any evidence that stemmed as an outcome of the Carter Page FISA warrant. Some of this material *may* (perhaps likely) will be in the Special Counsel Mueller investigation.

[ie. a proverbial search for the fruit of a poisonous tree. Where is it?]

Once the sequestration has taken place, the DOJ will then be able to determine to the court what collateral impacts they have identified.

The DOJ has yet to inform the court how exactly they plan to do this, or when they anticipate to have completed the task. However, the FBI has agreed to undertake this sequestration for ALL of the FISA applications, not just the two renewals they now admit are invalid.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...alid-warrants/

I don't think the significance of this can be overstated. Since the warrants are valid for "two-hops", meaning everybody Page had contact with, and everybody who those people had contact with, we're talking hundreds and possibly thousands of emails, text messages, phonecalls, and other forms of communication, and any case or investigation in which they were used as evidence.

This is huge.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 01-23-2020, 06:11 PM.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

That is an enormous amount of "fruit from the poison tree" that must be returned to the fruit stand.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's not so much a poison tree as it is a poison orchard. I have a feeling there are a lot of defense lawyers looking carefully at past and present cases to see if their clients can benefit from this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        It's not so much a poison tree as it is a poison orchard.
        Well, yeah.

I have a feeling there are a lot of defense lawyers looking carefully at past and present cases to see if their clients can benefit from this.
        Unfortunately, as often happens, some VERY BAD people may be set free because of malfeasance from the courts.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And, don't forget, this REALLY puts former Director James Comey and Deputy Director Andrew McCabe in a bad light, with their numerous egregious "mistakes", 100% of which worked against Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            The FISA court officially acknowledged Thursday that the FBI submitted false information when obtaining warrants to surveil Trump campaign aide Carter Page. Therefore, the FISA warrants that were issued are invalid.

"Thanks in large part to the work of the Office of the Inspector General, U.S. Department of Justice, the Court has received notice of material misstatements and omissions in the applications filed by the government in the above-captioned dockets. See Docket No. Misc. 19-02, Order (Dec. 17, 2019; DOJ PIG, Review of Four FISA Applications and Other Aspects of the FBI's Crossfire Hurricane Investigation (Dec. 2019)," the court released in an order. "DOJ assesses that with respect to the applications in Docket Numbers 17-375 and 170679, 'if not earlier, there was insufficient predication to establish probable cause to believe that [Carter] Page was acting as an agent of a foreign power.'"

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...valid-n2560007

The FBI has agreed to “sequester” all information and evidence received as an outcome of all the FISA warrants issued against Carter Page. Meaning, all material, in any court proceeding or subsequent secondary warrant on another target, application, filing, motion, prosecution or downstream use of the information gathered and obtained; the FBI will now assemble all materials, from any location, that stemmed from the Carter Page FISA warrants.

In essence, the FBI will now look and retrieve any evidence that stemmed as an outcome of the Carter Page FISA warrant. Some of this material *may* (perhaps likely) will be in the Special Counsel Mueller investigation.

[ie. a proverbial search for the fruit of a poisonous tree. Where is it?]

Once the sequestration has taken place, the DOJ will then be able to determine to the court what collateral impacts they have identified.

The DOJ has yet to inform the court how exactly they plan to do this, or when they anticipate to have completed the task. However, the FBI has agreed to undertake this sequestration for ALL of the FISA applications, not just the two renewals they now admit are invalid.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...alid-warrants/

I don't think the significance of this can be overstated. Since the warrants are valid for "two-hops", meaning everybody Page had contact with, and everybody who those people had contact with, we're talking hundreds and possibly thousands of emails, text messages, phonecalls, and other forms of communication, and any case or investigation in which they were used as evidence.

This is huge.
            Huge, really? The corrupt Atty. Gen. already corruptly exonerated Trump. What do you think you're going to gain by this?

Comment

Poor Jimmy, always a week late and $10 short.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Huge, really? The corrupt Atty. Gen. already corruptly exonerated Trump.
                You needed one more "corrupt" before "Trump".

Comment

I don't think his copy of "Liberal Talking Points For Dummies" prepared him for this, so he's winging it.

Comment

A couple of comments

1) I fully support treating any information which was improperly collected as appropriate.
                    2) Was there actually much information which came specifically from monitoring Page? Or is that speculation? This article says Page was exonerated by Mueller.
                    3) Reread item 1).
                    4) You guys are cheering that evidence of wrongdoing would be suppressed. That's a legal victory but not a moral one.
                    5) Reread 1) one more time.

But I'm happy to hear what evidence you think is covered by 2).

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                      4) You guys are cheering that evidence of wrongdoing would be suppressed. That's a legal victory but not a moral one...
                      Does THIS look like "cheering"?
                      Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Unfortunately, as often happens, some VERY BAD people may be set free because of malfeasance from the courts.

What kind of twisted mind do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Does THIS look like "cheering"?

What kind of twisted mind do you have?
                        I admit I missed that line from you.

It's hard not to assume glee from MM, however.

Comment

A couple of comments

1) I fully support treating any information which was improperly collected as appropriate.
                          2) Was there actually much information which came specifically from monitoring Page? Or is that speculation? This article says Page was exonerated by Mueller.
                          3) Reread item 1).
                          4) You guys are cheering that evidence of wrongdoing would be suppressed. That's a legal victory but not a moral one.
                          5) Reread 1) one more time.

But I'm happy to hear what evidence you think is covered by 2).
                          I explained in the OP: these were "two hop" warrants covering a period of months and encompassing anybody Page contacted, and anybody those people contacted which could easily include hundreds of people and thousands of communications, and any cases or investigations arising from that illegally gathered evidence could end up being struck down. That includes the Mueller investigation and anything that spun off from it. Remember Carter Page was THE predicate for the whole thing.

As I said, the significance of this can not be overstated.

Comment

It's hard not to assume glee from MM, however.
                            And you would be wrong.

Comment

How much of the Mueller report just went up in smoke?
                              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment