Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Impeachment: Republican Senators leaving Senate Chamber During Impeachment Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impeachment: Republican Senators leaving Senate Chamber During Impeachment Trial

https://www.politicususa.com/2020/01...sentation.html

Sen. Bob Menendez confirmed that Republicans are getting up and leaving the Senate chamber for extended periods of time instead of listening to impeachment evidence.

Menendez told CNN when he was asked about Senators getting up and leaving, “We do have a series of our colleagues, particularly on the other side of the aisle who seem to get up quite a bit and often leave the chamber for extended periods of time. Listen, it’s not a great comfort to sit there for endless hours, but at the end of the day I want to hear all of the testimony, and I can’t do that if I’m not in the chamber….There are a fair number of people on the other side who seem to get up and I guess they’ve had enough, and they just don’t want to listen to the rest of the testimony.”

Trumpers, is this in keeping with the oath they swore to God?

Maybe the Dems could try not speechifying until 2AM? They only had two pages of impeachment articles. That doesn't take yapping for days.

And this article [ https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/22/polit...und/index.html ] says it is happening on both sides. Nobody can stay seated that long DivineOb. You need to get up, walk around, take bathroom breaks, get something to eat, etc.
    Last edited by Sparko; 01-23-2020, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
      https://www.politicususa.com/2020/01...sentation.html

Sen. Bob Menendez confirmed that Republicans are getting up and leaving the Senate chamber for extended periods of time instead of listening to impeachment evidence.

Menendez told CNN when he was asked about Senators getting up and leaving, “We do have a series of our colleagues, particularly on the other side of the aisle who seem to get up quite a bit and often leave the chamber for extended periods of time. Listen, it’s not a great comfort to sit there for endless hours, but at the end of the day I want to hear all of the testimony, and I can’t do that if I’m not in the chamber….There are a fair number of people on the other side who seem to get up and I guess they’ve had enough, and they just don’t want to listen to the rest of the testimony.”

Trumpers, is this in keeping with the oath they swore to God?
      Let’s see,

Listen to democrats mindlessly drone on again and again or sleep? I think I’d choose Chinese water torture and get it over with.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

As I understand it, Schiff ran out of material (which we've all heard before anyway) very quickly and then started repeating himself, and repeating himself, and repeating himself. Delusional liberals saw a brilliant exploration of applied legal theory coupled with irrefutable and damning evidence. Everybody else was struggling to stay awake.

However, the Senate rules apparently require that every Senator remain in the chamber while the trial is in session, so the fact that some of them left is curious, but I've not heard their side of the story, so it's hard to reach any definitive conclusion.

And I note, too, that Democrat Diane Feinstein, a ranking member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, left for good for the evening while Shifty still had over an hour left in his presentation.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Seems there were breaches in decorum on both sides of the aisle:

CNN anchor John Berman lectured the U.S. senators who didn't stay in their seats for every minute of Wednesday's opening arguments in the impeachment trial against President Trump ... "In fact, many of the senators of both parties were not at their desk at different times despite the rules which will require the apparently herculean task of sitting down for a few hours," Berman said.

Berman confronted his guest Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) about it on Thursday, and the Democrat defended his colleagues and their need for physical comfort, considering some breaks are three hours apart.

"I don't see it as any dereliction of duty to stand instead of sit in the chamber as long as you're standing quietly in the back, and not interfering with anybody's view," Whitehouse added.

Other people go in and out from the cloakroom for a variety of reasons.

"Sometimes nature even calls senators," he noted.

One senator, Rand Paul, was caught doing a crossword puzzle.

The CNN anchor was especially frustrated by Paul's exercise. When he mentioned it to Whitehouse, the senator chuckled. Berman didn't like that either.

"I'm glad he thinks it's funny," Berman said. "The president of the United States is on trial today."

Yet, lost on the CNN anchors was how Rep. Cedric Richmond (D-LA) was watching the President's Club golf tournament while the Judiciary Committee was debating the articles of impeachment during one of last month's hearings.

Surely watching sports during such a "solemn" process is a bit more egregious than a word game?

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortne...-golf-n2559986

So... much ado about nothing?

Comment

I called Feinstein's office and they confirmed that she left early. They said she was "under the weather." What a load of rubbish ! I expressed how disappointed in her I was to hear that she left early.

I think there is some difference between what she did and since it was a lot of Republicans who were leaving and they were leaving in the middle of the day. But I acknowledge that some amount of 'both sides' is unfortunately appropriate :(.

Originally posted by MAGA Man View Post
            As I understand it, Schiff ran out of material (which we've all heard before anyway) very quickly and then started repeating himself, and repeating himself, and repeating himself. Delusional liberals saw a brilliant exploration of applied legal theory coupled with irrefutable and damning evidence. Everybody else was struggling to stay awake.
            I think the repetition was so he would cover the case both during the day and during prime time for those who couldn't tune in while at work.

However, the Senate rules apparently require that every Senator remain in the chamber while the trial is in session, so the fact that some of them left is curious, but I've not heard their side of the story, so it's hard to reach any definitive conclusion.
            I would encourage everyone to call their senators and find out if they left the room during the trial and what is their explanation. Remind them they work for us even if it means sitting through a "boring" (according to them) presentation. They didn't have to volunteer for the job if they didn't want to do it.
            Last edited by DivineOb; 01-23-2020, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAGA Man View Post
              So... much ado about nothing?
              Absolutely incorrect!

I have no idea what Chief Justice Roberts is thinking by allowing himself to be pushed around like this. What a loser.

Comment

I like how you think "MAGA Man" is an insult.

You were doing much better with "Hilly Hobbit", but even that's not particularly insulting since Tolkien's works portray Hobbits as shrewd and honorable creatures.

Last edited by Mountain Man; 01-23-2020, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  I like how you think "MAGA Man" is an insult.

You were doing much better with "Hilly Hobbit", but even that's not particularly insulting since Tolkien's works portray Hobbits as shrewd and honorable creatures.

I meant it as a compliment since, against all odds, you posted by far the most substantive reply in the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                    I meant it as a compliment since, against all odds, you posted by far the most substantive reply in the thread.
                    Oh, well then...

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Maybe the Dems could try not speechifying until 2AM? They only had two pages of impeachment articles. That doesn't take yapping for days.

And this article [ https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/22/polit...und/index.html ] says it is happening on both sides. Nobody can stay seated that long DivineOb. You need to get up, walk around, take bathroom breaks, get something to eat, etc.
                      The remedy for this would be for McConnell to have scheduled arguments over a longer set of days, not truncate the number of days with the understanding that senators would flout the rules and leave the "courtroom". Any juror doing so at trial would be removed immediately and held in contempt of court.

--Sam
                      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                        The remedy for this would be for McConnell to have scheduled arguments over a longer set of days, not truncate the number of days with the understanding that senators would flout the rules and leave the "courtroom". Any juror doing so at trial would be removed immediately and held in contempt of court.

--Sam
                        McConnell didn't schedule it to last till 2AM either.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          McConnell didn't schedule it to last till 2AM either.
                          The House managers are speaking for as long as the McConnell resolutions allow. If the trial begins at 1 PM and the House managers are allotted 24 hours over three days, House managers are going to speak until 9 PM.

If senators can't be expected to sit around and pay attention for that long, the problem is with the McConnell rules, not the prosecution.

--Sam
                          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Now there's this:

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), forced to stay off of the campaign trail due to the Senate impeachment trial of President Trump, is reportedly struggling with boredom and has been spotted yawning, “shuffling in his chair,” and reading the back of a tin containing what appeared to be lozenges throughout the hours-long process.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...achment-trial/

It seems Shifty can't even keep those who already have the knives out for Trump interested!

Comment

Did any of your call your Senators? Please do so and let them know to take their oath seriously. It only takes a second. We get no better of a government than the one we demand.

Comment