Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Impeachment: 71% of Republicans want witnesses

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I think the magic words in that survey were "with firsthand knowledge" - so far we haven't heard from anyone under oath with firsthand knowledge. The only ones who have that are Trump and Zelensky. And if he is guilty, anyone Trump told directly what his nefarious plan was. I think I would go for those witnesses. I would also like to see the whistlblower.
    Like most surveys, we don't know the exact question or how it was setup, so the results are largely meaningless. But as I take another look at the story, it asks "whether witnesses with firsthand knowledge should be allowed to testify". Well, sure, a witness should be allowed to testify if their testimony is relevant and they are issued with a lawful subpoena, but I disagree that the Senate should or has any reason to issue such subpoenas. If the Democrats can't make their case based on the evidence gathered during their one-sided inquiry where they gave themselves every possible advantage then the Senate should dismiss the charges or vote for full acquittal.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

    Comment


    • #17
      I want witnesses too. Hunter Biden will suffice.
      That's what
      - She

      Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

      I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      Stephen R. Donaldson

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        ďTrump is so guilty that we need to keep digging till we find evidence that he is guilty!!!Ē

        Stalin would be proud, comrade.
        Machiavelli would be proudest - and of you an MM and others. The end justifies the means. If we have to excuse adultery, racism, abusive attitudes toward women, and even the coercion and bribery of foreign countries as he enlists them to interfere in our elections, so be it. Just so long as we get some conservative judges on the bench, its all ok.
        He will reply, ĎTruly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

        "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          Machiavelli would be proudest - and of you an MM and others. The end justifies the means. If we have to excuse adultery, racism, abusive attitudes toward women, and even the coercion and bribery of foreign countries as he enlists them to interfere in our elections, so be it. Just so long as we get some conservative judges on the bench, its all ok.
          Thatís a great list of opinions and worst assumptions, but I know itís totally pointless to even bother with you, since your mind is already made up, but assumptions and opinions, isnít evidence. Besides, democrats could care less about abusive attitudes towards women, since they still make excuses for LBJ and Clintonís much bigger and more documented abuses. Of course, youíre welcome to grovel and submit to your liberal overlords if you so desire, but Iíll pass on submission and your list of unsupported opinions.

          Heís guilty, you just need to keep digging till you find all this evidence of guilt and if he objects to being probed, itís just more evidence of guilt! Right comrade?
          Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 01-22-2020, 09:40 AM.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            I want witnesses too. Hunter Biden will suffice.
            You are assuming he would tell the truth under oath.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              Machiavelli would be proudest - and of you an MM and others. The end justifies the means.
              Liar. None of us are arguing that the ends justify the means. Nobody has even implied that.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God


              From "Fools Gold" by Petra

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I think the magic words in that survey were "with firsthand knowledge" - so far we haven't heard from anyone under oath with firsthand knowledge. The only ones who have that are Trump and Zelensky. And if he is guilty, anyone Trump told directly what his nefarious plan was. I think I would go for those witnesses. I would also like to see the whistlblower.
                I think Bolton and Mulvaney are the ones people have in mind. Both have firsthand knowledge.

                And Hunter Biden of course .

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  I want witnesses too. Hunter Biden will suffice.
                  Republicans control the senate, I donít think they need permission from the democrats if they want to hear from Hunter but Hunter isnít a relevant witness.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                    Republicans control the senate, I donít think they need permission from the democrats if they want to hear from Hunter but Hunter isnít a relevant witness.
                    There are 4 relevant witnesses. 2 on each side. The prosecution should call Rudy and Trump while the defense should call Hunter and Joe. No one else would make as much impact.
                    That's what
                    - She

                    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

                    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    Stephen R. Donaldson

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      There are 4 relevant witnesses. 2 on each side. The prosecution should call Rudy and Trump while the defense should call Hunter and Joe. No one else would make as much impact.
                      If you put Trump on the stand I'll give you a 2:1! That would be utter suicide.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                        Republicans control the senate, I donít think they need permission from the democrats if they want to hear from Hunter but Hunter isnít a relevant witness.
                        I think the Republicans' response today, in particular, is setting the stage for why, exactly, Hunter is at the very center of this whole thing.

                        We've had weeks and weeks of endless rumor and gossip from the Democrats, and now they're being hit with the facts and the law, as well as their own contrary testimony from previous impeachment situations.
                        "Neighbor, how long has it been since youíve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?Ē

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          I think the Republicans' response today, in particular, is setting the stage for why, exactly, Hunter is at the very center of this whole thing.

                          We've had weeks and weeks of endless rumor and gossip from the Democrats, and now they're being hit with the facts and the law, as well as their own contrary testimony from previous impeachment situations.
                          Trump's team is killing it.

                          Out of curiosity, is there some rule that says the House managers have to be sitting Representatives rather than hired attorneys with actual litigation experience? Because Schiff and his crew are so far out of their league it's embarrassing.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God


                          From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Trump's team is killing it.

                            Out of curiosity, is there some rule that says the House managers have to be sitting Representatives rather than hired attorneys with actual litigation experience? Because Schiff and his crew are so far out of their league it's embarrassing.
                            I can't find anything that prevents the House Managers from including outside counsel, but their own resolution limits their side to actual US Representatives from the House.

                            I almost have to believe that Schiff was so blinded by his disdain for Trump, and so overconfident in his own ability, that he thought this would be such a slam dunk. He's had the wind at his back this whole time, with the national media and so much of the public just lapping up his gossip and his generous piles of horsie poo....

                            It's amazing. It's like "the children have pitched their fits, and now the adults have entered the room".

                            Again...

                            Scripture Verse: Prov 18:17

                            In a lawsuit the first to speak seems right, until someone comes forward and cross-examines.

                            © Copyright Original Source

                            "Neighbor, how long has it been since youíve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?Ē

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Politicians are so used to dealing in half-truths and outright lies that I think Schiff may have genuinely forgotten how to present an honest, factual argument.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God


                              From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                Liar. None of us are arguing that the ends justify the means. Nobody has even implied that.
                                You most certainly have.
                                He will reply, ĎTruly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

                                "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by rogue06, Yesterday, 08:28 PM
                                14 responses
                                63 views
                                1 like
                                Last Post CivilDiscourse  
                                Started by Cow Poke, Yesterday, 06:00 PM
                                1 response
                                31 views
                                1 like
                                Last Post Cow Poke  
                                Started by Hypatia_Alexandria, Yesterday, 04:08 PM
                                0 responses
                                15 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Hypatia_Alexandria  
                                Started by CivilDiscourse, Yesterday, 07:47 AM
                                37 responses
                                169 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post The Pendragon  
                                Started by whag, 01-26-2021, 04:54 PM
                                17 responses
                                140 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seanD
                                by seanD
                                 
                                Working...
                                X