Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

EVERY Democrat Opposed Senate Resolution Honoring Military for Soleimani Strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Or are you still trying to pretend that Trump wants to distract attention away from the impeachment
    It would take just four Republican senators to make the difference between a quick sham trial, as proposed by McConnell etc, and calling witnesses who could turn the tide toward conviction - and this has become a real possibility. So yes, I think Trump wants to distract attention away from the impeachment. He knows he's done wrong.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
      Trump says it doesn't matter if Soleimani posted an imminent threat.

“The Fake News Media and their Democrat Partners are working hard to determine whether or not the future attack by terrorist Soleimani was ‘eminent’ or not, & was my team in agreement,” Trump tweeted Monday morning, incorrectly spelling imminent.

“The answer to both is a strong YES., but it doesn’t really matter because of his horrible past!” the president continued.

Another *ahem* tower of lies continues to collapse.
      Soleimani didn't just pop out of thin air here. He has been a known terrorist for a long time.

Obama designated Soleimani a terrorist in 2011 for the attempted terror attack in Washington DC. He just never did anything about it other than sanction him.

Flashback: Obama Sanctioned Soleimani for Attempted Terror Attack in Washington, DC

Soleimani, leader of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Quds force, helped plot the attack on a popular restaurant in the nation’s capital, where the target was to be the Saudi ambassador to the U.S.

As the U.S. Treasury explained in announcing the sanctions against Soleimani and four others in 2011:

The U.S. Department of the Treasury today announced the designation of five individuals, including four senior Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-Qods Force (IRGC-QF) officers connected to a plot to assassinate the Saudi Arabian Ambassador to the United States Adel Al-Jubeir, while he was in the United States and to carry out follow-on attacks against other countries’ interests inside the United States and in another country. As part of today’s action, Treasury also designated the individual responsible for arranging the assassination plot on behalf of the IRGC-QF.

As IRGC-QF Commander, Qasem Soleimani oversees the IRGC-QF officers who were involved in this plot. Soleimani was previously designated by the Treasury Department under E.O. 13382 based on his relationship to the IRGC. He was also designated in May 2011 pursuant to E.O. 13572, which targets human rights abuses in Syria, for his role as the Commander of the IRGC-QF, the primary conduit for Iran’s support to the Syrian General Intelligence Directorate (GID).
      https://www.breitbart.com/national-s...ashington-d-c/

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Soleimani didn't just pop out of thin air here. He has been a known terrorist for a long time.

Obama designated Soleimani a terrorist in 2011 for the attempted terror attack in Washington DC. He just never did anything about it other than sanction him.

Flashback: Obama Sanctioned Soleimani for Attempted Terror Attack in Washington, DC

Soleimani, leader of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Quds force, helped plot the attack on a popular restaurant in the nation’s capital, where the target was to be the Saudi ambassador to the U.S.

As the U.S. Treasury explained in announcing the sanctions against Soleimani and four others in 2011:

The U.S. Department of the Treasury today announced the designation of five individuals, including four senior Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-Qods Force (IRGC-QF) officers connected to a plot to assassinate the Saudi Arabian Ambassador to the United States Adel Al-Jubeir, while he was in the United States and to carry out follow-on attacks against other countries’ interests inside the United States and in another country. As part of today’s action, Treasury also designated the individual responsible for arranging the assassination plot on behalf of the IRGC-QF.

As IRGC-QF Commander, Qasem Soleimani oversees the IRGC-QF officers who were involved in this plot. Soleimani was previously designated by the Treasury Department under E.O. 13382 based on his relationship to the IRGC. He was also designated in May 2011 pursuant to E.O. 13572, which targets human rights abuses in Syria, for his role as the Commander of the IRGC-QF, the primary conduit for Iran’s support to the Syrian General Intelligence Directorate (GID).
        https://www.breitbart.com/national-s...ashington-d-c/
        It appears to go back even further:

Soleimani was first designated a terrorist and sanctioned by the U.S. in 2005 for his role as a supporter of terrorism

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It appears to go back even further:

Soleimani was first designated a terrorist and sanctioned by the U.S. in 2005 for his role as a supporter of terrorism
          I think I remember him way back when. He always wore that tan jacket everywhere. I called him Leisure Suit Larry.

Comment

I think I remember him way back when. He always wore that tan jacket everywhere. I called him Leisure Suit Larry.
            That was the name of an early "adult-themed" video game

As I've previously mentioned I was familiar with him due to my continuing interest in improvised/home-made/field expedient explosive devices.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That was the name of an early "adult-themed" video game
              I know.

Comment

Don't even go there. 'imminent' threat to four embassies is what I was sold. Pompeo was totally unambiguous on that.

Comment

Why was Soleimani in Iraq? He was invited.

This thing is much, much worse than I first thought.

BAGHDAD/LONDON: Iraq's caretaker Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi on Sunday said that the late Iranian commander, Qasem Soleimani, had travelled to Baghdad to reach a diplomatic agreement between Saudi Arabia and Iran and to 'discuss de-escalating tensions'between the two countries.

According to the Washington Post and UK's Daily Mail, Iraq was part of a bid to tone the tensions between the Kingdom and the Islamic Republic. Abdul-Mahdi added as per the publication that he was expecting a meeting with Soleimani the day the commander was killed in a US-sanctioned airstrike.

He came to deliver me a message from Iran, responding to the message we delivered from Saudi Arabia to Iran,” the Iraqi prime minister said, according to Washington Post.

"What happened was a political assassination," Abdul Mahdi added. He noted that Trump had asked him to intervene and arbitrate a discussion with Iran after protests outside the US embassy in Baghdad.
                  https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/59...d-before-death
                  “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                  “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                  “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Another *ahem* tower of lies continues to collapse.
                    Many twebbers have build their house on sand...
                    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      Why was Soleimani in Iraq? He was invited.

This thing is much, much worse than I first thought.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/59...d-before-death
                      Yup. Trump is doing everything he can to permanently ruin Americans word and reputation. The only comfort is he's going to take the entire GOP down with him.

Comment

Yup. Trump is doing everything he can to permanently ruin Americans word and reputation. The only comfort is he's going to take the entire GOP down with him.
                        Weren't you the one in the other thread (that not surprisingly died) that posted a link to an article that claimed senators used the impeachment noose around Trump's neck to pressure him into doing it?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                          Weren't you the one in the other thread (that not surprisingly died) that posted a link to an article that claimed senators used the impeachment noose around Trump's neck to pressure him into doing it?
                          I think I said something along those lines. I stated my view very poorly. I came across as if that were the only, or even a primary, reason for holding the articles. I did expect that the pressure from impeachment would cause him to make a blunder (as he did). Of course I was hoping for a blunder less consequential than getting us kicked out of Iraq.

I absolutely deserve a beating with a wet noodle for how I stated things in that thread.

Comment

I think I said something along those lines. I stated my view very poorly. I came across as if that were the only, or even a primary, reason for holding the articles. I did expect that the pressure from impeachment would cause him to make a blunder (as he did). Of course I was hoping for a blunder less consequential than getting us kicked out of Iraq.

I absolutely deserve a beating with a wet noodle for how I stated things in that thread.
                            No, you posted a direct link to an article stating senators used impeachment to pressure Trump. If you don't believe that, why did you bother posting the link?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                              No, you posted a direct link to an article stating senators used impeachment to pressure Trump. If you don't believe that, why did you bother posting the link?
                              If you can at least remember the thread I'll go through and find the post. If you think I made the wrong call then I take that feedback.

Comment

Business Insider

President Donald Trump told associates that he assassinated Iran's top military leader last week in part to appease Republican senators who'll play a crucial role in his Senate impeachment trial, The Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.

In a lengthy piece detailing how the president's top advisers coalesced behind the strike on Iranian Maj. Gen. Qassem Soleimani, The Journal reported that Trump had told associates he felt pressured to satisfy senators who were pushing for stronger US action against Soleimani and who will run defense for him on impeachment.
                                I'm just not sure why you posted that link, if now you're arguing it's all Trump's doing

Comment