Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Clean Slate Bills...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean Slate Bills...

Clean slate bills, which are becoming popular in many states, including my state (see below), is interesting. I wonder how this will relate to ex-felons buying fire arms. I guess they will legally be able to.

New Connecticut (CONECT) to promote a “Clean Slate” bill that would have expunged people’s criminal records if they remained crime-free for up to five years after serving their sentences.

https://ctmirror.org/2020/01/08/lamo...-next-session/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

I think it's the right thing to do. The war on some drugs has incarcerated so many people who are now second class citizens in our society.

I wonder what Republicans think about giving them back guns given how strongly they feel about the 2nd amendment and how that meshes with their "tough on crime" stances.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Clean slate bills, which are becoming popular in many states, including my state (see below), is interesting. I wonder how this will relate to ex-felons buying fire arms. I guess they will legally be able to.

New Connecticut (CONECT) to promote a “Clean Slate” bill that would have expunged people’s criminal records if they remained crime-free for up to five years after serving their sentences.

https://ctmirror.org/2020/01/08/lamo...-next-session/

Not sure what I think about that. Once a person has demonstrated the capacity to commit a felonious crime, I'm not sure one can every extend full trust back to them. Especially WRT firearms. This is not to say a person can't change or be changes by Faith in Christ. It's more that one can't tell looking on the outside how real such a change is, and a line once crossed is easier to cross twice. That and there will be people that can wait five years to get a clean slate and then will turn around and use it as the opportunity to commit that or worse again. So best not to compound that by making it legal for them to own a firearm.

Interestingly - I think this applies: A person that is truly sorry and fully changed such that one could extend full trust to them after committing some heinous crime would not allow you to extend full trust back to them.
      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-10-2020, 11:31 AM.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
        I think it's the right thing to do. The war on some drugs has incarcerated so many people who are now second class citizens in our society.

I wonder what Republicans think about giving them back guns given how strongly they feel about the 2nd amendment and how that meshes with their "tough on crime" stances.
        Actually I think liberals would be more conflicted. The bill in my state would completely expunged the criminal record - so they would be able to but firearms.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

As someone who has volunteered in a Prison Ministry for the last 10+ years, and having counseled with many inmates and seen multiple men release from prison to live upstanding lives, several who have even started their own prison ministry. I think it could be a good thing for many. I think it needs good oversight though. Real investigations into those petitioning for a clean slate is in order I think. I believe Texas clean slate laws are only for deferred adjudication cases unless some special circumstances are in place (like committing a crime because you were a victim of Human trafficking) thing like that. My son had deferred adjudication (for a class B misdemeanor) and has since had his expunged. He is licensed to carry now.
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Actually I think liberals would be more conflicted. The bill in my state would completely expunged the criminal record - so they would be able to but firearms.
            I'm fine with it as long as we are deciding which crimes are eligible for this program based on data. Some of the claims in that article make sense to me and some goes against my intuition but I'm willing to follow the data wherever it leads.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
              As someone who has volunteered in a Prison Ministry for the last 10+ years, and having counseled with many inmates and seen multiple men release from prison to live upstanding lives, several who have even started their own prison ministry. I think it could be a good thing for many. I think it needs good oversight though. Real investigations into those petitioning for a clean slate is in order I think. I believe Texas clean slate laws are only for deferred adjudication cases unless some special circumstances are in place (like committing a crime because you were a victim of Human trafficking) thing like that. My son had deferred adjudication (for a class B misdemeanor) and has since had his expunged. He is licensed to carry now.
              Makes sense. Laws like this tend not to get implemented in a manner that incorporates what many of us would count as common sense, and that is where they go wrong I think.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I wonder how this will relate to ex-felons buying fire arms.
                fire arm.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                  I'm a little leery of the five year timeframe and the particulars (like jurisdiction) but I favor the concept.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment