Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Iran Fires Missiles at U.S. Forces in Iraq

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Iran Fires Missiles at U.S. Forces in Iraq

    Iran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles at two bases in Iraq where American troops are based, the Pentagon said Tuesday.

    The attack on the two bases, including Erbil in northern Iraq and the large Al Asad base in western Iraq, began about 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time, defense officials said.

    There was no initial indication of any casualties or assessment of damage, defense officials said. At the bases, personnel remained hunkered down until an all clear could be given that the attack had concluded. Neither base has Patriot anti-missile batteries, which are used to defend against ballistic missile attacks, military officials said.

    https://www.wsj.com/articles/stamped...s&page=1&pos=2

    Last edited by seer; 01-07-2020, 08:16 PM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

  • #2
    One thing Iran can do that the US cannot: Overrun Iraq with troops.

    Iran allegedly has just short of a half million-man army. If they decided to invade Iraq, the US would be hard pressed to respond. That's not our game. The US is high tech, sparse and spread out in that region. We could batter Iran with missiles and bombs but we could not turn back an Iranian invasion using manpower.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Ronson View Post
      One thing Iran can do that the US cannot: Overrun Iraq with troops.

      Iran allegedly has just short of a half million-man army. If they decided to invade Iraq, the US would be hard pressed to respond. That's not our game. The US is high tech, sparse and spread out in that region. We could batter Iran with missiles and bombs but we could not turn back an Iranian invasion using manpower.
      The US Army’s total active duty, reserve, and guard strength is a little over a million.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        The US Army’s total active duty, reserve, and guard strength is a little over a million.
        Yes, we can win a war with Iran, hands down, if we put our back into it. Why do more have to die, especially when you believe most of the ones killed will go straight to hell? And some of our boys and girls will go to hell as well? And more empty mouths and stomachs over here from coast to coast. And and and...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          The US Army’s total active duty, reserve, and guard strength is a little over a million.
          But where are they? Scattered around the globe or on bases at home. We couldn't get them there in time to stop a rout.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
            Yes, we can win a war with Iran, hands down, if we put our back into it. Why do more have to die, especially when you believe most of the ones killed will go straight to hell? And some of our boys and girls will go to hell as well? And more empty mouths and stomachs over here from coast to coast. And and and...
            On a personal note, if someone is physically assaulting my family, I will do whatever is necessary to stop them, up to and including lethal force, and I won't stop to inquire about the state of their soul first.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God


            From "Fools Gold" by Petra

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
              Yes, we can win a war with Iran, hands down, if we put our back into it. Why do more have to die, especially when you believe most of the ones killed will go straight to hell? And some of our boys and girls will go to hell as well? And more empty mouths and stomachs over here from coast to coast. And and and...
              The reality is that Iran isn’t going to start a full scale invasion. I was just pointing out that the US military is hardly small. The US has the 4th largest military, in the world.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                But where are they? Scattered around the globe or on bases at home. We couldn't get them there in time to stop a rout.
                The US military prides itself on being a global deploying force. Moving that many would be the largest operation since WWII, but I really doubt Iran would go for a full scale invasion. It would bleed the country dry and likely end with the Iranian people putting their own leaders against the wall.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

                Comment


                • #9
                  It seems more people were killed in today's funeral procession than were killed in the missile attack.

                  55 to 0
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God


                  From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    On a personal note, if someone is physically assaulting my family, I will do whatever is necessary to stop them, up to and including lethal force, and I won't stop to inquire about the state of their soul first.
                    Not much of a Mennonite, eh?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                      The reality is that Iran isn’t going to start a full scale invasion. I was just pointing out that the US military is hardly small. The US has the 4th largest military, in the world.
                      Everyone knows about the US's military might, even its citizens .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        It seems more people were killed in today's funeral procession than were killed in the missile attack.

                        55 to 0
                        Have they verified that there were 0 US Casualties but there were some Iraqi casualties?
                        "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Have they verified that there were 0 US Casualties but there were some Iraqi casualties?
                          The 55 were trampled to death during the funeral procession.

                          Early reports are that the missiles missed their targets and there were no causalities.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God


                          From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            The 55 were trampled to death during the funeral procession.
                            Iranians, yes.

                            Early reports are that the missiles missed their targets and there were no causalities.
                            OK, I was hearing no US casualties, but some Iraqi casualties. And FOUR of these very expensive precision missiles are said to have failed. (Other reports say these missiles are just glorified scud missiles. )
                            "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              OK, I was hearing no US casualties, but some Iraqi casualties.
                              That's the last thing I read, too. Some Iraqi casualties, but unknown if dead or injured.

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by CivilDiscourse, Yesterday, 06:39 PM
                              14 responses
                              73 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post whag
                              by whag
                               
                              Started by seer, Yesterday, 02:30 PM
                              6 responses
                              41 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Cow Poke  
                              Started by whag, Yesterday, 02:17 PM
                              2 responses
                              24 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post whag
                              by whag
                               
                              Started by Cow Poke, Yesterday, 01:58 PM
                              13 responses
                              52 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Cow Poke  
                              Started by CivilDiscourse, Yesterday, 07:03 AM
                              64 responses
                              241 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Cow Poke  
                              Working...
                              X