Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Black Americans are coming home to the GOP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Americans are coming home to the GOP

Anecdotally, I'm seeing this in my own area. While my Church congregation pretty well mirrors ethnicity in the community in general, where I do my "missions" stuff in town - I'm clearly a minority.

I would say that, on average, the people I work with (both ministerial, social services, clients, etc) would be about 80-85% black. Don't know why that is, but it is.

Some of the blacks who used to be very anti-Trump are not so much anymore.
    Some of the blacks who didn't used to talk about politics are a little more vocal now, and critical of the Democrats.
    Some of the blacks who didn't used to talk about politics are actually speaking well of Trump and the economy.

“‘Coming Home’ contains truths about the relationship between African-Americans and Donald Trump that will not be reported by the media. Vernon Robinson and Bruce Eberle have broken new ground and explain how this relationship is key to President Trump’s reelection.” — Ken Blackwell, former Ohio secretary of state

What do Kay Coles James, Ben Carson, Star Parker, Candace Owens, Ken Blackwell, Diamond and Silk, and Alveda King have in common?

They are bold, compassionate leaders who believe that every person is created equal by God himself. They understand that every human life has infinite value and limitless potential. They have suffered from some sort of discrimination — but are not bitter. Instead, they seek reconciliation, believe in redemption, and work to advance a more just society. They know that hard work, economic freedom, the preservation of the traditional family, and reducing government control are the keys to success.

And they are black Americans who support the policies of President Trump.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Anecdotally, I'm seeing this in my own area. While my Church congregation pretty well mirrors ethnicity in the community in general, where I do my "missions" stuff in town - I'm clearly a minority.

I would say that, on average, the people I work with (both ministerial, social services, clients, etc) would be about 80-85% black. Don't know why that is, but it is.

Some of the blacks who used to be very anti-Trump are not so much anymore.
    Some of the blacks who didn't used to talk about politics are a little more vocal now, and critical of the Democrats.
    Some of the blacks who didn't used to talk about politics are actually speaking well of Trump and the economy.

“‘Coming Home’ contains truths about the relationship between African-Americans and Donald Trump that will not be reported by the media. Vernon Robinson and Bruce Eberle have broken new ground and explain how this relationship is key to President Trump’s reelection.” — Ken Blackwell, former Ohio secretary of state

What do Kay Coles James, Ben Carson, Star Parker, Candace Owens, Ken Blackwell, Diamond and Silk, and Alveda King have in common?

They are bold, compassionate leaders who believe that every person is created equal by God himself. They understand that every human life has infinite value and limitless potential. They have suffered from some sort of discrimination — but are not bitter. Instead, they seek reconciliation, believe in redemption, and work to advance a more just society. They know that hard work, economic freedom, the preservation of the traditional family, and reducing government control are the keys to success.

And they are black Americans who support the policies of President Trump.
    Many African Americans are conservative, so it is not surprising that they would eventually be drawn to the political party associated with conservative polical philosophies.

But the biggest barriers is race, the conservative movement's inability or unwillingness to address or recognize the problems in this country. From the inception, modern conservatism has had a spotty record, William F Buckley and Barry Goldwater, the role of Bob Jones University, historical stance of resistance to civil rights, the difficulty in reconciling personal responsibility with structural injustices, all are barriers to acceptance of Republican candidates.

"Since when did white nationalism become a bad thing?" shows the work Republicans need to do before conservative blacks can be counted on for an electoral base.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
      Many African Americans are conservative, so it is not surprising that they would eventually be drawn to the political party associated with conservative polical philosophies.

But the biggest barriers is race, the conservative movement's inability or unwillingness to address or recognize the problems in this country. From the inception, modern conservatism has had a spotty record, William F Buckley and Barry Goldwater, the role of Bob Jones University, historical stance of resistance to civil rights, the difficulty in reconciling personal responsibility with structural injustices, all are barriers to acceptance of Republican candidates.

"Since when did white nationalism become a bad thing?" shows the work Republicans need to do before conservative blacks can be counted on for an electoral base.
      I don't think it's so much that Republicans are "better", but that Democrats are getting further and further left.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You do realize that it was thanks to the Republicans that the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act were passed and that the opposition came from the Democrats, right?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          You do realize that it was thanks to the Republicans that the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act were passed and that the opposition came from the Democrats, right?
          It's a fact that the Democrat party has a long history of racism from opposing Lincoln's agenda to free the slaves, to forming the KKK, to Jim Crow, to opposing civil rights, to establishing racist policies like "affirmative action". It baffles me how many black people don't appear to be aware of this.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

This is a massive oversimplification to the point it's not really true. In the House, 61% of Democrats voted in favor of passing the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and 80% of Republicans voted for it. In the Senate, 69% of Democrats voted in favor, and 81% of Republicans. (then it went back to the House in which 63% of Democrats voted in favor and 80% of Republicans voted in favor) So while it is true there was more support for it among Republicans than Democrats, it is incorrect to imply the opposition was only from Democrats or that it was only Republicans that passed it.

This was really more of a regional vote than a partisan one, as representatives (Republican and Democrat) from the northern states overwhelmingly voted yes while representative (Republican and Democrat) from the southern states overwhelmingly voted no. There wasn't a single Southern Republican in the House or Senate that voted yes.

Comment

Hence the “coming home”.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                It's a fact that the Democrat party has a long history of racism from opposing Lincoln's agenda to free the slaves, to forming the KKK, to Jim Crow, to opposing civil rights, to establishing racist policies like "affirmative action". It baffles me how many black people don't appear to be aware of this.
                Black Americans are very familiar with history of Dems on civil rights, the klan and Jim Crow. And they are familiar with the infamous quotes of men such as Thurmond, Helms, and Russell, who were Dems.

There were several civil rights bills, the most well known is the civil rights bill of 64. The vote followed geographical lines, not party. The politicians from the south, the old Confederacy, voted almost entirely against the bill.

Northern Democrats, Mansfield and Humphrey (who gained attention and notoriety for calling for civil rights for all in 48) helped guide the bill through Congress. Democrat President supported it and signed into law. Black Americans are aware of that.

The Republican Party fielded Goldwater in 64, who championed states rights and opposed the bill. Goldwater did well, capturing several deep south states. The Dems ran campaign ads in the south noting Goldwater's past support of civil rights!

Comment

Not quite accurate, the southern Republicans did not support the civil rights bills.

The Conservative movement has its home in the GOP. And it has a spotty record on civil rights. While William F Buckley, the architect of the modern conservative movement, did marginalize the overt racists, he was against integration as a federal policy, and later (he came to accept integration), he had difficulty addressing structural forms of racism.

Comment

Worth a read:
                    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blac..._United_States
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                      This is a massive oversimplification to the point it's not really true. In the House, 61% of Democrats voted in favor of passing the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and 80% of Republicans voted for it. In the Senate, 69% of Democrats voted in favor, and 81% of Republicans. (then it went back to the House in which 63% of Democrats voted in favor and 80% of Republicans voted in favor) So while it is true there was more support for it among Republicans than Democrats, it is incorrect to imply the opposition was only from Democrats or that it was only Republicans that passed it.

This was really more of a regional vote than a partisan one, as representatives (Republican and Democrat) from the northern states overwhelmingly voted yes while representative (Republican and Democrat) from the southern states overwhelmingly voted no. There wasn't a single Southern Republican in the House or Senate that voted yes.
                      Look at it this way... exactly how many Republicans were involved in the filibusters?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Not quite accurate, the southern Republicans did not support the civil rights bills.

The Conservative movement has its home in the GOP. And it has a spotty record on civil rights. While William F Buckley, the architect of the modern conservative movement, did marginalize the overt racists, he was against integration as a federal policy, and later (he came to accept integration), he had difficulty addressing structural forms of racism.
                        Back in the late 50s (there were Civil Rights bills passed then as well) through the 60s you would be very hard pressed to find a Southern Republican in national office. In effect you could fit all of them comfortably in a car.

Comment

Back in the late 50s (there were Civil Rights bills passed then as well) through the 60s you would be very hard pressed to find a Southern Republican in national office. In effect you could fit all of them comfortably in a car.
                          The Republican party did form opposition to Dems in some states, and by the 62 toppled the powerful Lister Hill for Senate. While it was small, it was making inroads, mirroring the inroads the Dems were making among black voters.

The growing influence of Bob Jones University, with its strong and almost unwavering support of Republicans, also played a role in the era before the rise of the religious right and the Moral Majority.

The Republicans did not filibuster the Civil rights bills, the Dems did. But many black Americans noted that conservative politics did not force the civil rights through congress, it was progressive politicians who supported civil rights. And it was the moderate and liberal Republicans who pushed hard for civil rights.

Also, it is significant that the Christian church in America was divided in civil rights. Christian conservatives were silent, absent, or opposed to the civil rights issues.
                          Last edited by simplicio; 01-08-2020, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Black conservatives have an uneasy home in the Republican Party. We have witnessed the bizarre comments by black conservatives, the NRA was founded to protect freemen from the KKK, the pyramids are grain silos....

Alveda King is a strong voice for the unborn, but has also made unwelcome comments on white privilege. How many Tweb conservatives can swallow. Alveda stands behind MLK's writings and ideas, not sure how many could accept the ideas from Letter from a Birmingham Jail.

Comment

As for the actual OP, my work is maybe 80-85% black and I definitely haven't seen it as of yet, but I tend to keep to myself anyway...
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment