Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hate crimes and antisemitic attacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Yeah seems like all the antisemitism in government is coming from a couple of Democrat congresswomen.

And in general, over the last few years, the left has gone a bit overboard with trying to characterize everything as racism or a hate crime.

As an example of the ridiculousness of it:

Dr. Sonja Falck claims calling someone ‘nerd’ or ‘geek’ should be a hate crime

https://nypost.com/2019/12/19/dr-son...-a-hate-crime/
    Look at how the MSM and other Democrats characterized virtually every adjective used to describe Obama. We were told that things like skinny, elitist and professor were suddenly racist.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
      Is it possible that "not so fine people" on both sides are part of the problem?

And I'm no friend of the Justice Democrats.
      Indeed there are racists and anti-Semites on both the left and right. Nobody (except some of those on the left) would deny that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yeah seems like all the antisemitism in government is coming from a couple of Democrat congresswomen.

And in general, over the last few years, the left has gone a bit overboard with trying to characterize everything as racism or a hate crime.

As an example of the ridiculousness of it:

Dr. Sonja Falck claims calling someone ‘nerd’ or ‘geek’ should be a hate crime

https://nypost.com/2019/12/19/dr-son...-a-hate-crime/
        Do government officials commit the acts of violence, the hate crimes, the antisemitic acts?

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
          Do government officials commit the acts of violence, the hate crimes, the antisemitic acts?
          You haven't heard of what Ilhan Omar was saying in congress about Israel and Jews?

FYI:
          1. Accusing American Jewry of possessing dual loyalty.
          2. Alleging that Jews buy their influence with money, infamously stating "It's all about the Benjamins."
          3. Accusing Israel of having hypnotized the world.
          4. Supporting the antisemitic Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) campaign against Israel.
          5. Submitting a resolution in the House of Representatives comparing boycotting Israel to boycotting the Nazis.
          6. Having her antisemitic statements endorsed by infamous neo-Nazi David Duke.

https://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/Antis...he-year-613308

Comment

Are they really increasing in numbers?

What are the underlying, contributing, causes?

How can it be combatted?
            I hear of the increase but not so much of the details of what is happening. But there are police protecting synagogues in nearby cities -- maybe hired privately but still in uniform??

I think the schools and the media are emphasizing the idea that whites have created a culture that suppresses minorities. There is the claim that whites have privilege and are white supremacists. A lot of young people then are willing and inspired to physically harm whites. This is combined with Ilhan Omar's comments which receive no rejection of her statements specifically -- within Congress.

It looks as if the media, the Dems and Antifa all went into full propaganda mode after Trump was elected. I don't think Trump himself promoted racism nor do I think that he tries to appeal to the rare people who seem themselves as white supremacists.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Look at how the MSM and other Democrats characterized virtually every adjective used to describe Obama. We were told that things like skinny, elitist and professor were suddenly racist.
              Simply questioning his statements and political agenda was decried as racist.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

You haven't heard of what Ilhan Omar was saying in congress about Israel and Jews?

FYI:
                1. Accusing American Jewry of possessing dual loyalty.
                2. Alleging that Jews buy their influence with money, infamously stating "It's all about the Benjamins."
                3. Accusing Israel of having hypnotized the world.
                4. Supporting the antisemitic Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) campaign against Israel.
                5. Submitting a resolution in the House of Representatives comparing boycotting Israel to boycotting the Nazis.
                6. Having her antisemitic statements endorsed by infamous neo-Nazi David Duke.

https://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/Antis...he-year-613308
                And I found the insinuation that the Ukranian American Army officer had divided loyalties as outrageous. And it was a liberal Dem who first scolded the Republicans for that. I may be a political conserve, but credit is due.

So one has to ask if the worry about divided loyalties is a thing of the past. There is no pan Slavic movement in the US that I know of. There is a pan Israel movement. Omar has a worldview which is consistent with many on the religious right!

Comment

Antizionism has a death toll: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...s-a-death-toll

I think most conservatives are familiar with the antisemitism in the left. But it revolves around the distinctions, or more correctly, the lack of distinctions, of Zionism, Israel, and Jews.

But it seems that a similar lack of distinctions exists on the right.

Can antisemitic ideas coincide with support for Israel?

Comment

And I found the insinuation that the Ukranian American Army officer had divided loyalties as outrageous. And it was a liberal Dem who first scolded the Republicans for that. I may be a political conserve, but credit is due.

So one has to ask if the worry about divided loyalties is a thing of the past. There is no pan Slavic movement in the US that I know of. There is a pan Israel movement. Omar has a worldview which is consistent with many on the religious right!
                    What the heck are you going on about now?

The "religious right" supports Israel, and what do slavics have to do with antisemitism?

Comment

What the heck are you going on about now?

The "religious right" supports Israel, and what do slavics have to do with antisemitism?
                      Your post which pointed out that Omar accused Jews of dual loyalty. My post pointed out that the opening of the hearings had Republican Congressmen accusing Vindman of divided loyalties. A century ago, there was a pan Slavic movement, just as there was a pan German movement. The accusation against Vindman, a commissioned Army officer was disturbingly close to accusations of the pan Slavics.

Some forms of Zionism are a pan movement, connecting the race to the mother country through blood ties.

I think Omar is likely antisemitic, the example of jews having divided loyalties needs some examination, since divided loyalties is brought up by Republicans.

Comment

Your post which pointed out that Omar accused Jews of dual loyalty. My post pointed out that the opening of the hearings had Republican Congressmen accusing Vindman of divided loyalties. A century ago, there was a pan Slavic movement, just as there was a pan German movement. The accusation against Vindman, a commissioned Army officer was disturbingly close to accusations of the pan Slavics.

Some forms of Zionism are a pan movement, connecting the race to the mother country through blood ties.

I think Omar is likely antisemitic, the example of jews having divided loyalties needs some examination, since divided loyalties is brought up by Republicans.
                        Omar was tapping into a common sentiment dual loyalty. The topic was introduced over whether the testimony of Vindman could be trusted. His loyalty as an Army officer was called into question.

There have been several pan movements, the blood and soil ties of groups of people. The pan German movement arose in then 19th century, the pan Slavic movement arose in the early 20th. The pan African and pan Arab movements reached their height in the sixties. The loyalty of the individual is to the race and homeland, the mother nation which gave birth to the people.

So the divided loyalties accusations are problematic. The Jew who is accused of divided loyalties is having his patriotism and priorities questioned. The Ukramian American who is accused of divided loyalties is having his patriotism and priorities questioned.

The old tropes are alluring to some. Omar is resorting to an old canard, tried and true. And effective.

To accuse Jews of divided loyalties is unreasonable, yet to accuse a Ukranian American who is a commissioned officer in the US Army is not?

Comment