Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Time to withdraw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, I think the vast majority of Americans have no idea how complex the situation in the middle east is.

Long ago, the Southern Baptist Mission Board stopped referring to "Countries" and started using the term "People Groups", because borders over there often contain more than one people group, and people groups often extend over one or more borders.
    The Middle East has been a revolving door of empires and dictators, conquering large parts of it, only to have the next one move in and another and another for some 4,000 years until the British/French withdrew as their empires started to break up after WWII. Many national borders were drawn up without much regard to who lived where and who claimed what.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      That's ridiculous and you know it. We liberals may not like Trump but we would unite even with you conservatives against any country that assassinated him, just as I'm sure you would if say Obama was assassinated.
      I am glad you feel that way Jim, but just looking at the left's view of Trump since he was elected, I seriously doubt what you say above would be the reaction of the far left nutjobs who are in power now. They cheered when Trump was impeached. They have burned him and beheaded him in effigy. And many have already called for his assassination as you can read here:

'I hope Trump is assassinated!': Missouri lawmaker's Facebook post leads to calls for resignation
      https://www.chicagotribune.com/natio...819-story.html

Over 12,000 tweets are calling for Trump's assassination.
      https://mashable.com/article/threate...ecret-service/

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        The Middle East has been a revolving door of empires and dictators, conquering large parts of it, only to have the next one move in and another and another for some 4,000 years until the British/French withdrew as their empires started to break up after WWII. Many national borders were drawn up without much regard to who lived where and who claimed what.
        EGGzackly.... Even Europe has had a number of shifting border lines.

And, in countries where there's a brutal dictator, you're not going to see many anti-government demonstrations without violence, and usually not for very long.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I am glad you feel that way Jim, but just looking at the left's view of Trump since he was elected, I seriously doubt what you say above would be the reaction of the far left nutjobs who are in power now. They cheered when Trump was impeached. They have burned him and beheaded him in effigy. And many have already called for his assassination as you can read here:

'I hope Trump is assassinated!': Missouri lawmaker's Facebook post leads to calls for resignation

There are, no doubt, a whole bunch of nutters like that. And I bet the Secret Services is up to their eyeballs in leads to run down.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
            I'm sure not everyone on the right would be unhappy to see that, but it would be nowhere near the sheer celebration of the left if something happened to Trump. Not even close.
            I agree that liberals would probably be much happier with Trump being ousted from the White House than conservatives would be if Obama was ousted, but that's because Trump, and his entire administration is so corrupt. But nobody, except the extreme, extreme, crazies on either side would be celebrating their assassinations by a foreign country.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              The Turks will do nothing, as long as Kurdistan does not reach across their border.
              Uh, no. They already do periodic raids across the border because their own Kurds like to launch attacks from there. If Kurdistan became a sovereign nation, they would invade it post haste.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Uh, no. They already do periodic raids across the border because their own Kurds like to launch attacks from there. If Kurdistan became a sovereign nation, they would invade it post haste.
                Well I would support the Kurds over the Turks in that case...
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  Well I would support the Kurds over the Turks in that case...
                  If Turkey weren't such a strategic partner, I would too; we rather depend on them for basing aircraft, however, which complicates things.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    EGGzackly.... Even Europe has had a number of shifting border lines.
                    My mom's side of the family comprises Saxons (Siebenburger Sachsens) from Transylvania. My eyes glazed over and some brain matter oozed out my ear just from trying to read a couple of Wikipedia articles.
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Sounds similar to the right wingers who hoped for the assassination of Obama.

While the calls for Trump somehow defines the left, I wonder if the parallel views on Obama defines the right?

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                        Sounds similar to the right wingers who hoped for the assassination of Obama.

While the calls for Trump somehow defines the left, I wonder if the parallel views on Obama defines the right?
                        The calls for Trump's assassination are coming from Congresswomen and mainstream celebrities. A wee bit different than some wacky unknown KKK guy calling for Obama's death.

Comment