Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Comes Under Fire After Sharing Name Of Alleged Whistleblower On Twitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    DivineOb was probably before your time, but he was an early member of Tweb.
    And I don't consider my "participation" to have been all that uplifting at the time.

To answer his question, a man attempting to hide behind the fig leaf of whistleblower while coordinating the passing off of hearsay with a congressman in a transparent attempt to fraudulently take down a sitting president absolutely deserves to be exposed to ridicule in furthering of the national interest.
    As was pointed out by Sam the WB complaint was found to be credible. Are you suggesting that that finding was in error? Legitimate whistleblowers should absolutely be protected.

Those actively attempting to undermine the administration should be prosecuted, not protected.
    I assume your meaning is that those who are "fraudulently" attempting to do so. If it were shown that the WB was filed appropriately and found credible would you still believe that this describes the WB?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Not that I don't trust you, but that's not what I asked for. Citation, please.

Well, first, thanks for acknowledging he's an "alleged" whistle blower.
      Second, not quite sure what that sentence is supposed to mean. Trump put [him/her] "on blast"?
      Third, assuming you mean Trump tweeted his name publicly, I don't need to explain how [whatever you're calling it] serves to protect against retaliation, because I never claimed it.
      The legitimacy of the whistleblower's status as such is not alleged. The alleged identity of the whistleblower, who folks here and in high office are spreading without care or caution, is alleged.

"On blast" means exposing someone, usually a lesser-known personality, to widespread criticism or harassment, often online.

If you're not claiming that Trump's action is protecting against retaliation, are you acknowledging that his action serves to increase retaliation or the risk of retaliation?

--Sam
      Last edited by Sam; 12-30-2019, 04:25 PM.
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        So , you quote me as if I had not censured your use of his name! So not only will you not respect the law, you will spit in the face of my attempt to respect it?
        Respect what law? There is no law which prohibits me or anyone else from saying that Eric Ciaramella has been identified as the whistleblower, a fact that has been public knowledge for two-months and is trivial to find using any internet search engine.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Have any of them actually addressed how Ciaramella's first going to Schiff's staff to turn complain, who then directed him to file a complaint to and may well have assisted him in drafting it, could have nullified any claim to be a whistleblower and made him an ordinary leaker
          A constant PRATT that continues to be without substance. The ICIG has not revised his assessment, even after discussions with the whistleblower regarding the matter.

--Sam
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

It's Trump.
            Trump has a greater reach than any other citizen of this country so this is hardly a defense.

He stupidly tweeted something that was common knowledge.
            What was stupid about it if the name was common knowledge?

I don't believe it really impacts national security at all. It just riles up those with TDS.
            I know this has been touched on in other posts but do you believe future whistleblowers will be less likely to come forward as a result of this action?
            Last edited by DivineOb; 12-30-2019, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Respect what law? There is no law which prohibits me or anyone else from saying that Eric Ciaramella has been identified as the whistleblower, a fact that has been public knowledge for two-months and is trivial to find using any internet search engine.
              He has bought Schiff's line that the "whistleblower" has a "statutory right" to privacy -- a claim that the WaPo gave him three "Pinocchios" for when they fact checked it. This was right after bestowing four Pinocchios on a previous claim Schiff made about the whistleblower (where he denied that either he or his staff had previous contact with him).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Since you appear to be new, I'm not sure how to take you. Are you actually SERIOUS?
                Divine isn't new.

Been awhile. Hi DO!
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  That's an assumption of Trump's intent. The question was about the consequence of his action.

--Sam
                  The leaker has no claim to protection and it pretty obviously isn't a national security matter since Ciaramella's name has been public knowledge for over 8 weeks.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Two glaringly obvious problems.

That, given the whistleblower's position, the claim that the "COMPLAINANT did not even know what the ICIG was" strains credulity.

And Schiff's spokesman's declaration that "At no point did the Committee review or receive the complaint in advance" is questionable in that Schiff apparently cited information in the complaint just before it was officially filed.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

He has bought Schiff's line that the "whistleblower" has a "statutory right" to privacy -- a claim that the WaPo gave him three "Pinocchios" for when they fact checked it. This was right after bestowing four Pinocchios on a previous claim Schiff made about the whistleblower (where he denied that either he or his staff had previous contact with him).
                      If he thinks I'm breaking the law then I invite him to report my post to the appropriate authorities.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Two glaringly obvious problems.

That, given the whistleblower's position, the claim that the "COMPLAINANT did not even know what the ICIG was" strains credulity.

And Schiff's spokesman's declaration that "At no point did the Committee review or receive the complaint in advance" is questionable in that Schiff apparently cited information in the complaint just before it was officially filed.
                        Rather than straining credulity, it makes perfect sense that the whistleblower, having already elevated their concern to CIA legal counsel, would take the matter up with HPSCI if they didn't know about the avenue afforded with the ICIG.

Gonna have to substantiate that last claim with some good sourcing.

--Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          The leaker has no claim to protection and it pretty obviously isn't a national security matter since Ciaramella's name has been public knowledge for over 8 weeks.
                          A leaker sends confidential or classified documents to an outside source, usually for reporting. The ICIG is not an outside source.

The national security risk would be the chilling effect maltreatment has on future whistleblowers, even if you believe (in contradiction with ICIG and DNI) this one's complaint is not valid.

--Sam

Comment

A leaker sends confidential or classified documents to an outside source, usually for reporting. The ICIG is not an outside source.

The national security risk would be the chilling effect maltreatment has on future whistleblowers, even if you believe (in contradiction with ICIG and DNI) this one's complaint is not valid.

--Sam
                            Information - leaks are frequently just information without documentation - and you knew that.

The statute requires the whistle blower begin the process internally, not by calling a congressional office. Schiff's office IS external, it's therefore a leak.

And you knew it.
                            Last edited by Teallaura; 12-31-2019, 01:00 AM.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              You might be right about what the legality is for the average citizen like yourself. I'd hoped you were better than this.

But it doesn't really matter. It is incredibly sad, but I'm quite sure there is no conscience there to be appealed to. You've laughed or spat on (figuratively) every appeal to conscience I've ever made to you.

My last appeal to you is this: please stop going down this path before it destroys you.
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                Information - leaks are frequently just information without documentation - and you knew that.

The statute requires the whistle blower begin the process internally, not by calling a congressional office. Schiff's office IS external, it's therefore a leak.

And you knew it.
                                If the whistleblower approached HPSCI staff and said "There was some bad stuff going on; I reported it to CIA legal counsel but it got all hung up and I don't know where to go now" and HPSCI staff said "Get a lawyer and go to the ICIG" that's not a leak.

The statute requires that classified information is sent to ICIG. The ICWPA statute is intended to allow whistleblower complaints while protecting classified information. So long as the whistleblower wasn't providing HPSCI with any potentially classified information -- or really anything they could work with at all -- it's not a leak.

And since we've been all over the ICWPA before, you should know that.

--Sam

Comment