Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christianity Today Op Ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Quote me were I said or implied anyone, including breitbart, said 'every last one of them is violent' in reference to antifa?
    Than why were you giving links to the ADL and acting as though I believe they are all violent or mostly violent? I have no problem admitting that not all parts of Antifa, are violent. Can you acknowledge that not everyone on the right or who opposes them, are all violent?
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      Yeah it does Jim, you just can’t acknowledge it. I even said, in rather plain English, that movements have violent and non violent parts, which is a pretty obvious acknowledgement that not all Antifa members, are violent. You either lied about what I said, didn’t bother to read it, or merely lack basic reading skills. What one is it? I think you just didn’t bother to read what I said, beyond the first few sentences.
      All there is to do on this is laugh pix. You clearly have no clue. But you can have the last insult. After all, it's what you do
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

All there is to do on this is laugh pix. You clearly have no clue. But you can have the last insult. After all, it's what you do
        Poor Jim, unable to acknowledge his mistakes and claims victory because he clearly can’t read. Run away Mr Emperor and don’t admit you’re wearing no cloths.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Than why were you giving links to the ADL and acting as though I believe they are all violent or mostly violent? I have no problem admitting that not all parts of Antifa, are violent. Can you acknowledge that not everyone on the right or who opposes them, are all violent?
          Acting as if? This entire line of discussion is about how violent Antifa is and at one point you even called into question whether or not jaecp was LYING about his experience with them.

Originally posted by li'lpix
          Even assuming he is telling the truth and is unbiased doesn’t make ...
          and you are indeed included in the characterization of Antifa as violent:

Sorry Jim, but there is video, photo, and eyewitness evidence showing Antifa members engaging in violent behavior ...
          doesn’t mean that the entire Antifa movement isn’t violent.
          as was MM ...

Originally posted by MM
          It's not for nothing that they've been deemed a terrorist organization by our government.

And that is why I am quoting the ADL and trying to offer a more balanced look at what they are that could include jaecp's experience with them.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Pix, my worst day does not exceed your normal one in terms of the degrading, defamatory comments that flow so freely from you.
            Because your smug, passive aggressive hypocrisy doesn't count, am I right?
            Last edited by Mountain Man; 01-08-2020, 07:53 AM.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Your smug, passive aggressive hypocrisy doesn't count, am I right?
              nope

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                I didn't post anything to imply that the picture was a defense of chattel slavery -- that was your bit.

It's enough for me that the picture proclaims Confederate traitors (who fought for the preservation of chattel slavery, if you want to mention it) as "heroes" -- not just the generals but the grey uniforms writ large.

--Sam
                Thanks for proving my point.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                  I haven't, actually and, for what it's worth, what few I have were on people that deserved it. People who are cruel by default. I'm not just going to suck it up like I did here, for a decade, being attacked as passive aggressive for not returning insults
                  Oh, they deserved it. That makes it all better!
                  Also, dude, If that comment was you trying to be nice then oof.
                  Did I say I was trying to be nice? False dichotomy ftw!
                  You bent over backwards for someone who is crass and cruel as their default stance. I've been rude to, what, lpot and mm? Cry me a river. It's been standard here for a decade that Conservstive Christians can be jackasses but the second anyone else is rude back you and every other person that turns a blind eye to your brethrens abhorrent behavior comes out of the woodwork.

Hell, Edited by a Moderator here is accusing me of being violent with no basis whatsoever. How is a discussion even possible here?
                  I can see that objectivity is not exactly your forté, which indeed makes discussion difficult. It rather boggles the mind that you're defending antifa as non-violent; your acknowledged association with them makes the charge of violence not wholly unreasonable.

FWIW, I've pushed back at both lpot and MM at times for taking things too far. They know my stance; I'm not going to keep repeating it just to make you happy.
                  Last edited by One Bad Pig; 01-08-2020, 09:26 AM. Reason: removed name reference at poster's request
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Acting as if? This entire line of discussion is about how violent Antifa is and at one point you even called into question whether or not jaecp was LYING about his experience with them.

and you are indeed included in the characterization of Antifa as violent:

as was MM ...

And that is why I am quoting the ADL and trying to offer a more balanced look at what they are that could include jaecp's experience with them.
                    The problem is your willingness to see your opponents in the worse possible light and anyone that agrees with you, in the best possible light. My response has to be taken in with yours where you said:

“ No pix, MM. You are summarily ignoring his experience as it is expressed here without looking into his claims.”

So my response saying:

“Even assuming...”

Has to be taken, in that context. Both can be true Jim and I have no issue admitting it, why can’t you?
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

The problem is your willingness to see your opponents in the worse possible light and anyone that agrees with you, in the best possible light. My response has to be taken in with yours where you said:

“ No pix, MM. You are summarily ignoring his experience as it is expressed here without looking into his claims.”

So my response saying:

“Even assuming...”

Has to be taken, in that context. Both can be true Jim and I have no issue admitting it, why can’t you?

Admitting what? You are the one accusing me of lying. And these posts make it clear I was not. You went off half-cocked thinking I'd said something that didn't exist anywhere in my posts, implied or direct. Yet - instead of apologizing for your mistake - you are still trying to cast the blame on me.

And I think that about sums it up pix.

Comment

Admitting what? You are the one accusing me of lying. And these posts make it clear I was not. You went off half-cocked thinking I'd said something that didn't exist anywhere in my posts, implied or direct. Yet - instead of apologizing for your mistake - you are still trying to cast the blame on me.

And I think that about sums it up pix.

We’ve been through this Jim, I have no problem admitting that Antifa isn’t all violent and said it, so than we get:

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                        The thing is, Jim should know better. Antifa isn’t a movement, with a central figurehead, but is split up all over the country. Even assuming Jaecp is telling the truth doesn’t mean that the entire Antifa movement isn’t violent. The photographic, video, and eyewitness evidence says they are more than capable of being violent.
                        Which had lead to:

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        No pix, MM. You are summarily ignoring his experience as it is expressed here without looking into his claims. Without doing some legwork to find out if he has a valid point. That was my point in asking if it ever occurred to you that your biased sources might be misleading you.

That question should be being asked, and you should be trying to determine its answer. Both of you are thinking in very tribal, irrational ways on this. Instead we should be looking at what he knows and if that is representative ofca larger misrepresentation of this group.
                        Antifa has committed lots of acts of violence Jim, this is a fact. Is violent action there common thread? Well, you even quoted the ADL saying:

“Their ideology is rooted in the assumption that the Nazi party would never have been able to come to power in Germany if people had more aggressively fought them in the streets in the 1920s and 30s. Most antifa come from the anarchist movement or from the far left, though since the 2016 presidential election, some people with more mainstream political backgrounds have also joined their ranks.“

That is a pretty tact admission that they can indeed be violent, is it not? So what is the problem Jim? What did MM or I say that was inaccurate or incorrect? It appears nothing, but you’re still more than willing to paint us as unreasonable, brainwashed fools that simply believe whatever we are told, without question. I have called you stupid, a liar, or trying to cover your inability to read because there is nothing MM nor I have said that is inaccurate, but you still insist that we are somehow not being truthful or being deceitful. Keep digging Jim.
                        Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 01-08-2020, 08:23 AM.
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

No pix, MM. You are summarily ignoring his experience as it is expressed here without looking into his claims.
                          I'm not ignoring it, but the fact is, our own government has called Antifa a terrorist organization as its members have openly engaged in violent protests across the country. This has been well documented by a number of credible news organizations. Now maybe Jaecp's Portland chapter is the exception, but his anecdotes don't change the general facts.

He also made a curious statement in this thread, claiming that he doesn't dish out insults, but that when he does, it's only because the person in question "deserved it". It makes you wonder if he carries that same attitude with him into the streets, telling himself, "We're a peaceful bunch, but when my Antifa buddies beat someone to the ground, it's only because he deserved it!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            I'm not ignoring it, but the fact is, our own government has called Antifa a terrorist organization as its members have openly engaged in violent protests across the country. This has been well documented by a number of credible news organizations. Now maybe Jaecp's Portland chapter is the exception, but his anecdotes don't change the general facts.
                            I'm going to go with probably not.

From the link: "Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler came under fire over a viral video showing Antifa protesters blocking traffic and harassing drivers, but he says he supports the decision by police to watch from a distance without getting involved.

“I was appalled by what I saw in the video, but I support the Portland Police Bureau’s decision not to intervene,” he said at a Friday press conference. “This whole incident will be investigated.”

The video posted by journalist Andy C. Ngo showed protesters, including members of Antifa and Black Lives Matter, blocking an intersection and attempting to direct traffic at while officers on motorcycle watched from a block away.

At one point, the activists chased down 74-year-old Kent Houser after he made a right turn against their wishes, pounding on his silver Lexus and breaking a window. The car sustained thousands of dollars in damage, he told the Oregonian.

Even so, Mr. Wheeler insisted that “motorists should feel completely safe coming into downtown Portland.”"

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              I'm going to go with probably not.

From the link: "Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler came under fire over a viral video showing Antifa protesters blocking traffic and harassing drivers, but he says he supports the decision by police to watch from a distance without getting involved.

“I was appalled by what I saw in the video, but I support the Portland Police Bureau’s decision not to intervene,” he said at a Friday press conference. “This whole incident will be investigated.”

The video posted by journalist Andy C. Ngo showed protesters, including members of Antifa and Black Lives Matter, blocking an intersection and attempting to direct traffic at while officers on motorcycle watched from a block away.

At one point, the activists chased down 74-year-old Kent Houser after he made a right turn against their wishes, pounding on his silver Lexus and breaking a window. The car sustained thousands of dollars in damage, he told the Oregonian.

Even so, Mr. Wheeler insisted that “motorists should feel completely safe coming into downtown Portland.”"
                              Well, yeah, but those people probably deserved it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                                Read the actual article, Sparko, don't stop at unproven
                                Don't ignore the dozens of other incidents of Antifa violence while trying to nitpick one.

Defending people is something I have never seen Antifa do (other than themselves when people push back). They just attack. Maybe your antifa are different than what we see in the news, but I doubt it.

Comment