Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christianity Today Op Ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
    It could be asked, but you are the ones who naively believe the constant and blatant lies of Trump and friends. So, there's your answer.
    You're right, that does answer the question. It just doesn't answer it the way you think.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      The same question could be asked of you.
      It could, but that fact is nothing more than a diversion on your part in this case. The issue is that jaecp has first hand knowledge of who these people are having worked with them. Yet his observations are not being taken seriously, giving preference to talking points fielded by seriously and obviously biased sources. And so the question applies directly and precisely to pixies post in the context of this discussion and its participants.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        It could, but that fact is nothing more than a diversion on your part in this case. The issue is that jaecp has first hand knowledge of who these people are having worked with them. Yet his observations are not being taken seriously, giving preference to talking points fielded by seriously and obviously biased sources. And so the question applies directly and precisely to pixies post in the context of this discussion and its participants.
        Was Jaecp at Charlottesville? I don't believe he ever indicated that he was.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• I'm very happy Antifa tackled the guy about to pepperspray me while I was going about rather generically counter protesting.

They're really quite nice people if you're not coming to Portland to make a mess

Comment

• Oh, and Antifa also protected me when thugs came with water balloons through of sewage water and bricks at the occupy ice camp.

I hid in a tent for 2 hours while a group of angry men in red hats did what Portland has come to understand what groups of angry men in red hats do

It's a pity we can't really have a conversation because I'm a firsthand observer of plenty of these events, but so many of you are caught up in a cage of nonsense that I doubt anything I could say could get through :(

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
              Oh, and Antifa also protected me when thugs came with water balloons through of sewage water and bricks at the occupy ice camp.

I hid in a tent for 2 hours while a group of angry men in red hats did what Portland has come to understand what groups of angry men in red hats do

It's a pity we can't really have a conversation because I'm a firsthand observer of plenty of these events, but so many of you are caught up in a cage of nonsense that I doubt anything I could say could get through :(
              Nonsense like video evidence, like antifa harassing elderly people? My favorite video is an antifa guy getting KO'd when he tried to swing a stick at some unarmed dude and the dude laid him out.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                Nonsense like video evidence, like antifa harassing elderly people? My favorite video is an antifa guy getting KO'd when he tried to swing a stick at some unarmed dude and the dude laid him out.
                I mean, you're not talking about John Blum are you? That guy came spoiling for a fight, baton and all, but after he got his Edited by a Moderator kicked in the fight he came for local right-wing media figures like Andy Ngo portrayed him as just some old man that Antifa attacked for vague reasons

There's a lot of misinformatiom, Sean, but so long as the examples you've got are from Portland I'll probably be able to provide more information as a local than you're going to get from googling :)

Moderated By: DesertBerean

Jaecp I believe you've been around TWeb long enough to know the rules on acceptable vocabulary

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by DesertBerean; 01-08-2020, 05:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  The problem is that you are treating the UTR rally as an isolated unique event. It wasn't. There were protests at the Lee Statue nearly every day for 5 months. Different groups protested. Not all were neo-nazis or KKK members.
                  The Charlottesville Nazi/White Nationalist rally and march has NO mitigating circumstances, it was completely beyond the pale. Why is it that the Trump supporters defend it - it is totally beyond ANY defense in a democratic republic republic such as the USA. It harks back to the bad ole' days of the Confederacy, sadly missed by some it seems.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Yeah, like UTR was supposed to be uniting the alt right with the mainstream. It failed, thankfully

Also,

All Confederate monuments should be replaced anyway. They're mostly cheap junk put up during civil rights movement by racist fools that wanted to intimidate black people

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Was Jaecp at Charlottesville? I don't believe he ever indicated that he was.
                      That also is just another evasive post. You gonna go for strike three?
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• The only thing I've said about Charlottesville has been pretty general and that it was about, you know, Uniting the Right. That name wasn't pulled out of a hat.

I have specialized, first hand knowledge of stuff relating to Portland, Oregon, Democratic party politics in the state of Washington, and the veterans deployment to the standing rock protests as well as this and that here and there like Occupy Ice, but the inability for any conservatives to ask me any questions about what the camp was like is kinda why I wrote this place off

Also,

Just so folks know, I've blocked both MM and Pix. It was before OBP mentioned it, but I authentically don't wish to be insulting anyone. I'm just gonna call idiots idiots and block em when they've shown me who they are.

The Jaecp with patience for y'alls nonsense is so very 2016

My goals are to have a good conversation and anyone that is interested in that is free to talk to me, but I don't suffer fools any longer
                        Last edited by Jaecp; 01-08-2020, 12:35 AM.

Comment

I mean, you're not talking about John Blum are you? That guy came spoiling for a fight, baton and all, but after he got his Edited by a Moderator kicked in the fight he came for local right-wing media figures like Andy Ngo portrayed him as just some old man that Antifa attacked for vague reasons

There's a lot of misinformatiom, Sean, but so long as the examples you've got are from Portland I'll probably be able to provide more information as a local than you're going to get from googling :)
                          I don't think we're talking about the same thing. It's pretty much a meme. The dude that knocked him out is a legend in the cyber world.

Are you an antifa member? Just curious because you seem to be pretty apologetic of them.
                          Last edited by DesertBerean; 01-08-2020, 05:47 PM.

Comment

I mean, it's still all federal. Link says it's federal income tax. It doesn't take into account state and local taxes or predictable yearly fees like car tabs; it's adjacent to my point because the sum total of how much is paid isn't particularly relevant to the point that these folks are cheating on their taxes. The concentration of wealth is a big issue

And yeah those negative numbers are a doozy. That companies like Amazon or GE can pay zero in federal taxes while even getting refunds is evident of a system heavily favoring one part of our economy over others and I have an issue with that.
                            Um, that's not what causes negative numbers. Money is fungible. When looking at who pays we also have to look at who receives. When you factor in government programs the lowest class actually receives more than it pays. Factor in indirect benefits and the middle class is on the receiving side of the scale.

I agree income inequality is a big problem but from what I have been reading we can't tax our way out of it. My understanding is that the financial markets are siphoning off so much and investing so little in tangible terms that they are not doing their normal functions of providing capital and growth. People are wealthy on paper that ties up the money that would otherwise have been invested in capital. Increasing taxes, if that's really the case, just drives even more money out of the real economy.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

As far as the elderly folks, this is what I"m talking about...

Probably one of the most despicable things I've ever seen. Had I been there I more than likely would have gotten into a fight.
                              Last edited by DesertBerean; 01-08-2020, 05:48 PM.

Comment

People at the top have a lot to cheat than someone making 30k a year and, for average people, taxes are harder to avoid. It actually gets easier to not pay taxes as you get richer. Unfortunately, it's also a lot easier to audit average people, too.

Also, it's 1.6 billion now. That articles from over 6 months ago and thats the website I linked to man :p

What's in the Panama Papers is just one of many many many ways the world's economic elite cheat the system. Also, you're looking at the wrong number. That 1.6B figure is just what's been recovered and not all that will be recovered. Did you look at the articles that describe how much has been stashed? It's astronomical.

Honestly, I'm confused why you're defending lawbreakers on the basis that what we've managed to return to the treasuries isn't bigger.
                                I agree with much of this. The wealthy have the means to game the system in ways that the rest do not. And the wealthy also have greater means of actual cheating. And no, it's not okay to have an unfair advantage or to actually cheat. We should do something about this.

But taxation won't solve it. The wealthy have one very big ace - mobility. They can not only move to another state; they can also move to another country.

I've seen charts indicating that the US government collects about 17 percent of GDP regardless of the tax rate. If that's true then mucking around with the tax rates has no useful effect.

I'm beginning to believe that the real reform is going to have to be in the financial markets and it's not going to be pretty.
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment