Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Globalism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Do you know what hyperbole is? Why would God say to honor your mother and father and then tell you to hate them?
    I am not the one claiming there is no contradiction so it is not my job to make it all work together. You can of course claim it is hyperbole but can you support it with anything other than the convenience than that it makes the pieces fit a bit better together though contradiction is still there? Where is the context about the family "trying to stop" someone from following Jesus. Where is it made completely clear that it is based on that that I should HATE my own children?

It seems your precondition is that contradiction does not exist and thus you interpret the verses based on that precondition and allow yourself to explain the inconvenient parts out as "hyperbole" or something that certainly does not mean what it says.

Maybe if you read Matthew 10:37 “Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.”
    I have read that numerous times and there is no talk of HATE. There is not even the need to hate my son or daughter in order to love Jesus more. Nothing in it promotes hate or explains the other expression. It does not make the other expression of the need for hate go away, it is just another verse that you might prefer and thus use as your context and even suggest others are stupid for not using it as such. It is, however, your chosen context which does not explain any need for hate. Nor does it take the content and the explicit expression about hate for your own children away.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
      I am not the one claiming there is no contradiction so it is not my job to make it all work together. You can of course claim it is hyperbole but can you support it with anything other than the convenience than that it makes the pieces fit a bit better together though contradiction is still there? Where is the context about the family "trying to stop" someone from following Jesus. Where is it made completely clear that it is based on that that I should HATE my own children?
      I can and did. Do you suppose that the writers of the bible were so clueless as to write down that Jesus was advocating hating your parents after the bible says clearly you should honor them?

But then I really don't care what you think about it, Chuck. If you believed the bible, you would be a Christian.

Comment

I can and did.
        You did not. And it based on the rest of your post it seems you can't.

Do you suppose that the writers of the bible were so clueless as to write down that Jesus was advocating hating your parents after the bible says clearly you should honor them?
        It is not my job to explain why the Bible tells me to hate my children. I am simply pointing the contradiction out. You have failed to take it away and your question to me is obviously not and anser but a question that seemingly you cannot answer yourself. You can presuppose there is no contradiction. That is completely different from actually showing it is not there.

But then I really don't care what you think about it, Chuck. If you believed the bible, you would be a Christian.
        I was asking for your explanation and you have not even started to give one before you certainly do not care what I think. Back to the good old personal attacks instead of providing the examples, the context and the good arguments. Reading your explanation so far it rather seems you are a "Chrstian" because you allow yourself to interpret the verses as you see fit. Feel free to correct that impression if you can and do so without personal attacks if you want it to look convincing.
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

You did not. And it based on the rest of your post it seems you can't.

It is not my job to explain why the Bible tells me to hate my children. I am simply pointing the contradiction out. You have failed to take it away and your question to me is obviously not and anser but a question that seemingly you cannot answer yourself. You can presuppose there is no contradiction. That is completely different from actually showing it is not there.

I was asking for your explanation and you have not even started to give one before you certainly do not care what I think. Back to the good old personal attacks instead of providing the examples, the context and the good arguments. Reading your explanation so far it rather seems you are a "Chrstian" because you allow yourself to interpret the verses as you see fit. Feel free to correct that impression if you can and do so without personal attacks if you want it to look convincing.
          You do this regularly, asking a question and when answered, keep claiming it wasn't answered. You just did the same thing in the virtue signalling thread. Are you blind, unable to comprehend the answers, or just trolling?

Either way, I couldn't care less if you are satisfied with my answer. I did answer you. Clearly and if you don't like the answer, that's your problem. Have a day.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
            RINO = "Republican In Name Only."
            No true Scottsman? They're Republicans, and they support ever larger and larger military spendings, even at the detriment of the debt to gdp ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              No true Scottsman? They're Republicans, and they support ever larger and larger military spendings, even at the detriment of the debt to gdp ratio.
              So do the democrats, as we've just seen. In fact, that's probably the only bipartisan stance they take. Funny how Trump is pure evil and a Russian asset, yet they give him all the powers of the NDAA.

Comment

You do this regularly, asking a question and when answered, keep claiming it wasn't answered. You just did the same thing in the virtue signalling thread. Are you blind, unable to comprehend the answers, or just trolling?

Either way, I couldn't care less if you are satisfied with my answer. I did answer you. Clearly and if you don't like the answer, that's your problem. Have a day.
                Perhaps we should clarify that the following statement is one you refer to as an answer:

Well what is more noble in your mind? One who pushes against the popular culture (Like a MLK) one one who just goes along? Is the one parroting the popular line doing so because they deeply believe it, or because they are just cowards? http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post692485
                Sentences follow by a question mark are questions, not answers..... Quite basic.

Anyway, you of course cannot take contradiction away by pointing to other verses having other content. You see, the point is that the text I quoted refers to "hate". We have to hate our family. You then find verses you prefer and claim they are "context" that the other quote was hyperbole but then you are unable to justify that interpretation and the go for personal attacks instead.

Well, since I do not believe we should hate others I can say have a NICE day.

Comment

Perhaps we should clarify that the following statement is one you refer to as an answer:

Sentences follow by a question mark are questions, not answers..... Quite basic.

Anyway, you of course cannot take contradiction away by pointing to other verses having other content. You see, the point is that the text I quoted refers to "hate". We have to hate our family. You then find verses you prefer and claim they are "context" that the other quote was hyperbole but then you are unable to justify that interpretation and the go for personal attacks instead.

Well, since I do not believe we should hate others I can say have a NICE day.
                  It's known as a rhetorical question, Chuckiepoo. Like "Does a bear poop in the woods?" The answer is obvious.

Here is a whole page of answers from bible scholars for your edification. Normally this would be considered "argument by weblink" but since I already answered you and you keep insisting on more, here you go:

https://biblehub.com/commentaries/luke/14-26.htm

It says the same thing I said, but with more detail. Enjoy.

Comment