Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Confederate flags again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate flags again

In service of virtue, or service of evil?

Nikki Haley recently commented the the Confederate flags symbolism has been hijacked by the likes of Dylan Roof. But is that accurate?

Has it ever been embraced apart from the racism inherent at its inception? Or is that a modern invention?

Fixed the title from "omfederate" before popped a blood vessel.

As for the flag always having been a symbol of racism...

Maybe you should ask these folks:

The first image is of a former NAACP Chapter leader and the last one is of a woman going to vote.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Actually the Confederate flag is a symbol of the justification of secession of the Southern States to preserve the institution of slavery.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        Actually the Confederate flag is a symbol of the justification of secession of the Southern States to preserve the institution of slavery.
        Frank, I think the winner writes and rewrites history. Originally the Confederate Flag had less to do with slavery and pride about self-preservation. Unfortunately, it has become a symbol of the KKK and the neonazi movement which makes it difficult to seperate its place in history. It makes me sad.
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
          Frank, I think the winner writes and rewrites history. Originally the Confederate Flag had less to do with slavery and pride about self-preservation. Unfortunately, it has become a symbol of the KKK and the neonazi movement which makes it difficult to seperate its place in history. It makes me sad.
          No, the history is actual history not rewritten. The Confederate flag was the battle flag of the Confederate States of America. Based on the testimony of the leaders of the Confederacy the purpose of the secession was to preserve the right of states to maintain the institution of slavery.

These are facts that do not involve the rewriting of history.
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            No, the history is actual history not rewritten. The Confederate flag was the battle flag of the Confederate States of America. Based on the testimony of the leaders of the Confederacy the purpose of the secession was to preserve the right of states to maintain the institution of slavery.

These are facts that do not involve the rewriting of history.
            Just to add; it is the Confederate descendents and sympathizers that are trying to rewrite history.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
              Nikki Haley
              We all know S.C. governor Nikki Haley rebuffed efforts to remove the Confederate flag from the S.C. State House grounds during her 2014 reelection campaign. And that prior to that, she went on record supporting the flag’s presence on the north lawn of the building.

Haley is now calling for the flag to come down in the aftermath of last week’s “Holy City Massacre” – the murder of nine black churchgoers by a racist white gunman.
              https://www.fitsnews.com/2015/06/22/...federate-flag/
              Now she's flipped again.
              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Symbols can change their meaning. The question is what does the flag mean to those in South now?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                  Symbols can change their meaning. The question is what does the flag mean to those in South now?
                  It's pretty much synonomous with Racism/white Nationalism. There are some people that don't see it that way, and tend to see it as a heritage thing but they are fewer and farther in between. I wouldn't have or fly one myself...
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41379[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41380[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41381[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41385[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41383[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41384[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41382[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41386[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41387[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41388[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41389[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41390[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41391[/ATTACH]

The first image is of a former NAACP Chapter leader and the last one is of a woman going to vote.
                    Er, isn't one of those the Mississippi state flag?
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

It's pretty much synonomous with Racism/white Nationalism. There are some people that don't see it that way, and tend to see it as a heritage thing but they are fewer and farther in between. I wouldn't have or fly one myself...
                      That's not my experience.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Er, isn't one of those the Mississippi state flag?
                        Unfortunately the Mississippi State flag is the only flag that includes the Confederate battle flag. One of the flags is an older version. There is an alternate official flag without the Confederate flag offered for those that do not want to use the regular state flag. Universities in Mississippi and the Statue of Liberty will not will not fly the one with the Confederate flag, and people may choose an alternate licence plate.

Frank

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41379[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41380[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41381[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41385[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41383[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41384[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41382[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41386[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41387[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41388[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41389[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41390[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41391[/ATTACH]

And exactly why should we ask ignorant people that question?

Comment

Wrong. The civil war was over slavery and the Flag was created in support of that war. People may have been proud of their slave states and may have wanted to preserve it, but that doesbn't alter the fact that the flag was meant to sybolize the fight for its continuence.

Comment

Rogue googles “blacks with confederate flags”

Comment