Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Democrats' Self-Inflicted Diversity Vulnerability

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Democrats' Self-Inflicted Diversity Vulnerability

    Democrats' Self-Inflicted Diversity Vulnerability

    I think this is a classic example of unintended consequences...

    The top candidates vying for the Democratic presidential nomination are running counter to their party’s diversity insistence. By subdividing society and establishing the expectation that groups be represented by their own, Democrats are poised to turn off – and not turn out – voters on whom they depend. If that happens, the past pursuit of identity-group politics will inflict a heavy 2020 price.

    Democrats have only four candidates with double-digit support: Former Vice President Joe Biden, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Mayor Pete Buttigieg. All four are white; three are men; and three are at least 70 years old. The hot new entrant, former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, only reinforces this lack of diversity.

    Democrats have made diversity a mantra for the self-serving reason that they get strong support among these groups. The thinking goes that by demanding that their standard-bearers reflect the diversity of their supporters, they increase their chances of winning. (Of course, theirs is a self-defined diversity only: It notably does not apply to ideology.)

    ....
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  • #2
    Yes they do care about the minorities, but feel that an old white man knows best how to take care of them.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Yes they do care about the minorities, but feel that an old white man knows best how to take care of them.
      They care (or used to) about their votes!
      "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        They care (or used to) about their votes!
        They don't need no stinkin' votes! They can always impeach anyone later!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          They don't need no stinkin' votes! They can always impeach anyone later!
          "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." --Former General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, and according to one poster here, a right winger, Joseph Stalin

          I'm always still in trouble again

          "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            They don't need no stinkin' votes! They can always impeach anyone later!
            ONLY if they are the majority in the House.
            "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

            Comment


            • #7
              Are Jewish people not a minority? Do they have no history of oppression? Are they now to be reclassified as simply 'white'?
              Last edited by Starlight; 12-13-2019, 08:09 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                Are Jewish people not a minority? Do they have no history of oppression? Are they now to be reclassified as simply 'white'?
                There is so much wrong with this line of "reasoning" I don't even know where to begin.
                "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Democrats have only four candidates with double-digit support: Former Vice President Joe Biden, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Mayor Pete Buttigieg. All four are white; three are men; and three are at least 70 years old. The hot new entrant, former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, only reinforces this lack of diversity.
                  Bernie and Bloomberg are Jewish.
                  Pete is gay.
                  Warren is female.

                  So, actually, of the 5 candidates listed, 4 have some kind of historically-oppressed minority-group membership. Joe Biden is literally the only one who doesn't.

                  How important it is / isn't that minority groups have representation is something that we could validly discuss. But lets start from factual accurate premises please. The primary point of the OP is factually false: The main Dem candidates are members of minority groups and the OP and linked article are simply factually wrong to say they aren't.

                  The US has never had a Jewish president, it has never had a female president, it has never had an openly-gay in-a-same-sex-marriage President (there has been speculation on that subject about some past presidents, but the level of openness is new). All these would be firsts.
                  Last edited by Starlight; 12-13-2019, 08:12 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                    Bernie and Bloomberg are Jewish.
                    Pete is gay.
                    Warren is female.

                    So, actually, of the 5 candidates listed, 4 have some kind of historically-oppressed minority-group membership. Joe Biden is literally the only one who doesn't.

                    How important it is / isn't that minority groups have representation is something that we could validly discuss. But lets start from factual accurate premises please. The primary point of the OP is factually false: The main Dem candidates are members of minority groups and the OP and linked article are simply factually wrong to say they aren't.

                    The US has never had a Jewish president, it has never had a female president, it has never had an openly-gay in-a-same-sex-marriage President (there has been speculation on that subject about some past presidents, but the level of openness is new). All these would be firsts.
                    To black voters:

                    - Bernie and Bloomberg are Jewish -- which just means white (and even worse in some black circles because Jewish to them means an exceptionally evil greedy class of folks against blacks).
                    - Pete is gay -- blacks don't like gays, so he's just another privileged white guy.
                    - Warren is female -- still, just another white woman who tried to pass off as a minority to get advantages, which forced her to have to apologize later, an even worse offense against her.
                    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                      Bernie and Bloomberg are Jewish.
                      Old rich white guys. Neither really plays their Jewishness.

                      Pete is gay.
                      Blacks are not impressed --- in fact, he has a "black problem".

                      Warren is female.
                      AND AMERICAN INDIAN, to boot!
                      - old white person.

                      So, actually, of the 5 candidates listed, 4 have some kind of historically-oppressed minority-group membership.
                      Ummmm... they are SO FAR removed from their "oppressedness" it isn't funny.

                      Joe Biden is literally the only one who doesn't.
                      Another old white privileged guy.

                      How important it is / isn't that minority groups have representation is something that we could validly discuss. But lets start from factual accurate premises please. The primary point of the OP is factually false: The main Dem candidates are members of minority groups and the OP and linked article are simply factually wrong to say they aren't.
                      To quote mr Biden --- MALARKEY!

                      The US has never had a Jewish president,
                      Lieberman was close!

                      it has never had a female president,
                      Hillary is STILL blaming everybody else but herself.

                      it has never had an openly-gay in-a-same-sex-marriage President
                      Well, that's part of the dilemma -- Democrats can't win without the black vote, and the blacks have a problem with Mayor Pete.
                      "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Everyone please just shut up.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Yes they do care about the minorities, but feel that an old white man knows best how to take care of them.
                          The "old white man" currently in the WH certainly doesn't know how to take care of minorities.
                          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                            The "old white man" currently in the WH certainly doesn't know how to take care of minorities.
                            The point of the author of the article in the OP was identity-group politics, which is pushed much more on the left than the right. Black Trump supporters are going to vote no matter what. They're obviously not concerned about race. Democrats who have been pushing identity-based political platforms don't want black voters NOT to vote because they feel unrepresented based on race.
                            "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by seanD View Post
                              The point of the author of the article in the OP was identity-group politics, which is pushed much more on the left than the right.
                              Not really. The Republicans are the party of white males, the Democrats are the party of everyone. A look at the newly elected members of congress in 2018 makes that pretty clear:

                              New Congress.jpg

                              One party consists of very close to a single identity-group: The Republicans. The other party is a diverse cross-section of all Americans: The Democrats.

                              The Democrats as a party tend to pay attention to the interests of, and problems of, many and various minority groups, but they are not defined by any one group in the same way as the Republicans are.

                              I'm always amused by how often right-wingers here spin imagined stories of how all the black voters are Totally Going To Leave The Democratic Party.

                              And it also amuses me how they tell themselves that It's Totally A Weakness for the Dems that they draw votes from across a broad spectrum of different groups in the US rather than being laser focused on a single voting group the way the Republicans are. The OP linked article is yet another pathetic example of this genre, where a person from the George Bush administration virtue signals to other Republicans that it's Totally A Good thing that their party isn't diverse the way the Democrats are.

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Gondwanaland, Yesterday, 11:21 PM
                              1 response
                              25 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post seanD
                              by seanD
                               
                              Started by mossrose, Yesterday, 07:12 PM
                              9 responses
                              61 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Stoic
                              by Stoic
                               
                              Started by Hypatia_Alexandria, Yesterday, 06:47 PM
                              7 responses
                              48 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seer
                              by seer
                               
                              Started by seer, Yesterday, 09:32 AM
                              4 responses
                              56 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post seer
                              by seer
                               
                              Started by Sparko, Yesterday, 08:25 AM
                              88 responses
                              569 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post CivilDiscourse  
                              Working...
                              X