Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Modern Art...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I'm curious about his statement, "This is the gallery where anyone can do art, right?"

Is he saying that you don't have to be a legitimate artist to exhibit in the gallery, or was there an open invitation for anybody to post their work?
    G. K. Chesterton famously said that "Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly", though he had in mind the ordinary day to day pursuits of individuals, and I doubt even this paradox can stretch to accommodate those events.

Frankly, I think the only one making the bold statement was the guy who was arrested.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I would say taping a banana to a wall is burst right through the envelope into "jumping the shark" territory.
      Such an extreme form of 1 it deserves it's own category?

Ok.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I'm curious about his statement, "This is the gallery where anyone can do art, right?"

Is he saying that you don't have to be a legitimate artist to exhibit in the gallery, or was there an open invitation for anybody to post their work?
        What is a "legitimate artist?"

Anyone can do art. Some do it very badly, like the whole banana bit.

Comment

Source: $120K Art Basel banana gets the private jet treatment

The Art Basel Miami banana that consumed the art world even split back to New York by private jet.

The infamous fruit pinned to the wall of gallery Perrotin’s booth with duct tape — which sold three times at the fair for between $120,000 and $150,000 — was this weekend seen taped to the outside of three BladeOne private jets taking art lovers home to New York.

Fresh bananas, duct-taped near the aircraft door, welcomed passengers as they boarded in Miami, but we are told the funky fruit was peeled off all of the jets before wheels up.

Meanwhile the banana titled “The Comedian,” by artist Maurizio Cattelan, was taken down early Sunday before the art fair ended as it attracted so much commotion it became a safety hazard for the surrounding art.

Plus, on Saturday, performance artist David Datuna pulled the banana off the wall and ate it. It was replaced by the gallery, which insists the sculpture still survives.

Bananas were not on the deck earlier in the week when Blade CEO Rob Wiesenthal hosted a lavish Art Basel bash at Faena with LionTree’s Aryeh Bourkoff. Guests included Irving Azoff, Discovery’s David Zaslav, Discovery Land’s Mike Meldman, producer Ben Silverman and photographer Jean Pigozzi.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Taping a banana to wall is considered art, and eating the banana is considered performance art.

Fittingly, the person who did it, David Datuna, calls himself a performance artist.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This is one of the works by my lady friend...

9781008_orig.jpg
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                This is one of the works by my lady friend...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41288[/ATTACH]
                That is good art.

Here is one of my landscape paintings..

Painting bySparko.JPG

Comment

That is good art.

Here is one of my landscape paintings..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41289[/ATTACH]
                  You did that? Good clouds and peaks! I know Jan gets about a grand each for her works...
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

My sister does beautiful watercolours.

Blue herona.jpg

DSC00163a.jpg

These are only 2 of her many gorgeous paintings. I am blessed to own 2 of them, (not these 2 I have posted) and each of my children and my girly have been gifted art by their auntie.

THIS is real art!
                    Last edited by mossrose; 05-17-2022, 08:56 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      You did that? Good clouds and peaks! I know Jan gets about a grand each for her works...
                      I have never sold any of mine. I haven't been painting much lately. I do a lot of digital art. I have a thread here.
                      Last edited by Sparko; 12-09-2019, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I have never sold any of mine. I haven't been painting much lately. I do a lot of digital art. I have a thread here.
                        Does a pirate frame his art using driftwood or... planking?

Comment

That painting is gorgeous, Sparky!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Popeyes has entered the world of avant-garde artists. It has a chicken sandwich, duct tape to a canvas, for sale. The price is $120,003.99, a bargain, as anyone who has eaten at Popeyes knows.

I wonder what they would do with the money? My guess is donate it to charity. Sounds like an interesting fundraiser, selling a chicken sandwich duct tape to a wall, then donating the proceeds to.............Salvation Army!
                            Last edited by simplicio; 12-11-2019, 03:17 AM.

Comment

And to think of all the priceless artwork my mother made me scrub off my bedroom walls when I was young. We could have had the house paid off and moved to a mansion.
                              When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                                And to think of all the priceless artwork my mother made me scrub off my bedroom walls when I was young. We could have had the house paid off and moved to a mansion.
                                A lot of it relies on the ability to brazenly B.S. about some esoteric meaning in a way that causes others to feel stupid if they don't "get it."

Comment