Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Joe Biden thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
    If you can hear how he mangles the word "beautiful" coincident with his involuntary body movement and not have even a little concern then there's nothing I can do for you.
    There's little I can do for the TDS-afflicted. In this case, ignoring the context that he's making a point about wishing Merry Christmas and therefore rhetorically 'interrupting' himself just as he appears to be wishing Merry Christmas.

The TDS have swallowed 'Trump is demented' since 2016, I shouldn't be wasting any more time on this issue.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Either it's okay to try to diagnose Biden and Trump, or it's okay to try to diagnose neither long distance. It is not suddenly ethical to diagnose one but wrong to speculate about the other.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
        There's little I can do for the TDS-afflicted. In this case, ignoring the context that he's making a point about wishing Merry Christmas and therefore rhetorically 'interrupting' himself just as he appears to be wishing Merry Christmas.

The TDS have swallowed 'Trump is demented' since 2016, I shouldn't be wasting any more time on this issue.
        1) If he planned on doing what you're saying it would have made a lot more sense to interrupt himself saying "happy holidays." Do people even wish each other a "beautiful Christmas"? Specifically, do *liberals* do so (of course not, we wish each other happy holidays duh)?

2) He clearly says "beautifewl" not "beautiful".

3) What is up with his body movement? Why is he shrugging like that? Why does he splay his hands out to the side? He's done things like this other times too and it hasn't made any more sense in those cases either.

4) "Let me wish you a beautifewl--look" Why does he say "look"? Why is he choosing such a strange way of making this obvious point geared towards getting the crowd on his side?

I don't claim that one video proves anything. People speculated about McCain due to one round of questioning in the Senate before his diagnosis was revealed and I thought it would be inappropriate to draw conclusions then. But it was perfectly appropriate to say "That's odd, has he done something like that before?"
        Last edited by DivineOb; 12-31-2019, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          Either it's okay to try to diagnose Biden and Trump, or it's okay to try to diagnose neither long distance. It is not suddenly ethical to diagnose one but wrong to speculate about the other.
          I don't care if mentally troubled quacks want to make fools of themselves in public. What I mind is your egregious 'playing the moderate' in my thread. Desist.

Comment

1) If he planned on doing what you're saying it would have made a lot more sense to interrupt himself saying "happy holidays." Do people even wish each other a "beautiful Christmas"?
            It is less common, but it happens. Who cares what liberals do?

2) He clearly says "beautifewl" not "beautiful".
            Yes.

3) What is up with his body movement? Why is he shrugging like that? Why does he splay his hands out to the side? He's done things like this other times too and it hasn't made any more sense in those cases either.
            Do you want to get into body language analysis?

4) "Let me wish you a beautifewl--look" Why does he say "look"? Why is he choosing such a strange way of making this obvious point geared towards getting the crowd on his side?
            Probably because it's spontaneous and unscripted.

I don't claim that one video proves anything.
            Uh-huh. You just find it 'terrifying' when taken out of context, sad!

Comment

What are you talking about? Stuff like this is totally normal and not at all terrifying.
              I see it as Trump being the typical showman that he is during speeches and pandering to his crowd who are probably predominantly religious. He switches from wishing a Merry Christmas to the issue of the left suggesting "Merry Christmas" is offensive. That's why the video is cut at that point. He's pandering to the religious folks in that crowd about a recent political issue and doing it in the typical way Trump does it. This is different than when he's actually in a debate with someone, like when Biden was in a debate and lost it and almost called the guy a "fat ...." because the guy was questioning his son's activity in Ukraine. Trump is going to exploit that and push his buttons to no end during their debates.

Comment

I can just see the political ads from the Trump camp as we speak. Man, is that going to be brutal.

Comment

It is less common, but it happens. Who cares what liberals do?
                  The rhetorical point he's making is that he was going to wish everyone the PC saying (happy holidays) and then interrupts himself to point out that he's put the Christ back in Christmas. Beautiful Christmas is no more PC than Merry Christmas so it doesn't make sense to use as the foil to his actual point ("I brought Christ back."). I assume you'll agree that liberals are the ones "credited" with "happy holidays" which is why it *would* make sense to point that out at a conservative event.

he is wishing everyone "happy holidays"
                  Except he's wishing everyone a *beautiful Christmas* not *happy holidays*.

and then interrupts himself to point out that we can now go back to wishing a merry Christmas. Conservatives never stopped wishing each other merry Christmas, it's only liberals who insist on happy holidays.
                  Right, *happy holidays* is what liberals insist on, *not* beautiful Christmas so it's not a reversal to interrupt "beautiful Christmas" and then talk about bringing Christ back.

Do you want to get into body language analysis?
                  I'll answer my own question: he clearly throws his hands to the side and switches to saying "look" as a cover for flubbing the word "beautiful" and giving some sudden unexpected body movement. You can disagree with me but you haven't provided a more plausible explanation for his behavior.

Probably because it's spontaneous and unscripted.
                  Which part was spontaneous and unscripted? That he was going to "begin by wishing you HH/BC/MC"? That he was going to take credit for putting the Christ back in Christmas? This just sounds totally ad hoc on your part.

Uh-huh. You just find it 'terrifying' when taken out of context, sad!
                  The only times I've done anything close to what he does in this video I've been high on DXM. One way or the other something is not right with him in this video and I rightly find that terrifying.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                    I see it as Trump being the typical showman that he is during speeches and pandering to his crowd who are probably predominantly religious. He switches from wishing a Merry Christmas to the issue of the left suggesting "Merry Christmas" is offensive.
                    I understand what the logical start to his speech would have been. Here's two ways off the top of my head he could have made the point much more clearly and I'm not even a typical showman

1) Wish everyone a Merry / Beautiful Christmas and then comment on how nice it is to hear those words again instead of HH
                    2) Start saying HH and then interrupt himself and switch to talking about bringing Christmas back

At best he totally flubbed his warm up lines. The fact that you and demi won't even concede that much tells me all I need to know.

That's why the video is cut at that point. <snip>
                    The video is cut there because everyone already knows what he's going to talk about next and the relevant part already happened. If you think there is more context which changes a one word of what I've written link me and I'll admit amend what I've said.

Trump is going to exploit that and push his buttons to no end during their debates.
                    I'll give you N:1 odds that Trump doesn't participate in any general election debates. He's already setting up for that by saying he'll participate if the debates "are fair." Weren't they fair last time?

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                      The rhetorical point he's making is that he was going to wish everyone the PC saying (happy holidays) and then interrupts himself to point out that he's put the Christ back in Christmas..
                      The point you are missing so well is that he wants to wish people a great Christmas, but interrupts himself to make a point about what he's done. What the PC saying is irrelevant. It's not about a 'reversal' which you are fixated on, it's about how great he's done.

At best he totally flubbed his warm up lines
                      I don't care if he flubbed up, Trump speaks off the cuff all the time and naturally that comes with a share of mistakes. You assuming he's demented then backtracking and hedging is the really sad part.

Comment

I understand what the logical start to his speech would have been. Here's two ways off the top of my head he could have made the point much more clearly and I'm not even a typical showman

1) Wish everyone a Merry / Beautiful Christmas and then comment on how nice it is to hear those words again instead of HH
                        2) Start saying HH and then interrupt himself and switch to talking about bringing Christmas back

At best he totally flubbed his warm up lines. The fact that you and demi won't even concede that much tells me all I need to know.

The video is cut there because everyone already knows what he's going to talk about next and the relevant part already happened. If you think there is more context which changes a one word of what I've written link me and I'll admit amend what I've said.

I'll give you N:1 odds that Trump doesn't participate in any general election debates. He's already setting up for that by saying he'll participate if the debates "are fair." Weren't they fair last time?
                        You're describing a polished politician. Trump ain't a polished politician. It's a sign of a character flaw. It's a goofy act he puts on during speeches where he constantly rambles off the cuff in different directions. We've seen it before. If you want to assume a medical condition off of one edited clip, have at it. And I'll take that bet. Trump wouldn't refuse a debate with Biden when that's obviously his strong suit and would be seen as a clear sign to the entire nation that he's scared. No way would his fragile ego tolerate that.

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                          The point you are missing so well is that he wants to wish people a great Christmas, but interrupts himself to make a point about what he's done. What the PC saying is irrelevant. It's not about a 'reversal' which you are fixated on, it's about how great he's done.

I don't care if he flubbed up, Trump speaks off the cuff all the time and naturally that comes with a share of mistakes. You assuming he's demented then backtracking and hedging is the really sad part.
                          Did you not think I'd notice your edit removing your reference to "happy holidays"? Who's backtracking now, slick? I'm giving you a timeout without your binky.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            You're describing a polished politician. Trump ain't a polished politician.
                            Do you have any idea how much public speaking experience Trump has? I don't but only because I can't count that high.

It's a sign of a character flaw. It's a goofy act he puts on during speeches where he constantly rambles off the cuff in different directions.
                            An act... riiiiight. It's all a ploy to make us *think* he's enfeebled. You saw the drubbing the Republicans suffered in 2018 and realize he needs to pick up new voters this time around, don't you?

We've seen it before. If you want to assume a medical condition off of one edited clip, have at it.
                            When I have a chance I will try to track down a few more examples and we can have a look in another thread if you'd care to. I didn't start out convinced that this was the case just like I didn't start out convinced that McCain had a brain tumor even though some raised the possibility.

And I'll take that bet. Trump wouldn't refuse a debate with Biden when that's obviously his strong suit and would be seen as a clear sign to the entire nation that he's scared. No way would his fragile ego tolerate that.
                            Ok. Since we're probably not allowed to bet money on here how about you suggest something pointless to do to our signatures / avatars down the line. But because now it looks like I'm "backtracking" if you really want to bet money then private message me and we'll work something out like one of us gives a few $ to wikipedia or something.

Comment

Do you have any idea how much public speaking experience Trump has? I don't but only because I can't count that high.

An act... riiiiight. It's all a ploy to make us *think* he's enfeebled. You saw the drubbing the Republicans suffered in 2018 and realize he needs to pick up new voters this time around, don't you?

When I have a chance I will try to track down a few more examples and we can have a look in another thread if you'd care to. I didn't start out convinced that this was the case just like I didn't start out convinced that McCain had a brain tumor even though some raised the possibility.

Ok. Since we're probably not allowed to bet money on here how about you suggest something pointless to do to our signatures / avatars down the line. But because now it looks like I'm "backtracking" if you really want to bet money then private message me and we'll work something out like one of us gives a few $ to wikipedia or something.
                              I have no idea what your on about. I just said the dude puts on a goofy character during speeches, not because of any sort of ploy but because he's a goofy dude.

Comment

• It's the usual nonsense.

Fake News: 'Take this seriously!!!!!'
                                TDS-afflicted: 'Yessss...it is serious Normal people, don't you agree!?!??!'
                                Normal people: 'No.'
                                TDS-afflicted: meltdown

Comment