Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Joe Biden thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Two words - Electoral College.
    Considering that my home state has maps to avoid poop in San Francisco, has a huge homeless problem, and only the rich and affluent can afford housing... I’m glad the EC exist.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      Clinton only ‘won’ the popular vote because of my insane home state.
      And she lost the EC vote because she took a number of states for granted. SERIOUS mistake.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Clinton only ‘won’ the popular vote because of my insane home state.
        Well, that's just dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Well, that's just dumb.
          So it isn’t true that Clinton’s 3 million vote lead is due to the California tally? Thank God for the EC sparing California’s destruction from the rest of the country.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

So it isn’t true that Clinton’s 3 million vote lead is due to the California tally? Thank God for the EC sparing California’s destruction from the rest of the country.
            No, it isn't true. She recieved some 66 million votes, the 3 million could come from anywhere and everywhere within that 66 million..

Comment

No, it isn't true. She recieved some 66 million votes, the 3 million could come from anywhere and everywhere within that 66 million..
              Even the lefties at Snopes can't call the claim "false" -- they compromise and label it "mixture".

Hillary Clinton’s Popular Vote Win Came Entirely from California

In any case, it is true that the margin of votes by which Hillary Clinton won the state of California was significantly greater than the margin by which she won the national popular vote. But even if Clinton’s 4.3 million vote victory over Trump in California provided her overall winning edge, it wouldn’t be an issue if she hadn’t also amassed enough votes all the other states to make that outcome possible.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Let’s check the math:

2016 California presidential tally:

Clinton: 8,753,788
                Trump: 4,483,810

Difference: 4,269,978

So since your claim is that she won by 3 million votes and she was up in California by nearly 4.3 million votes, my claim is true. The math doesn’t lie Jimmy.
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Even the lefties at Snopes can't call the claim "false" -- they compromise and label it "mixture".

In any case, it is true that the margin of votes by which Hillary Clinton won the state of California was significantly greater than the margin by which she won the national popular vote. But even if Clinton’s 4.3 million vote victory over Trump in California provided her overall winning edge, it wouldn’t be an issue if she hadn’t also amassed enough votes all the other states to make that outcome possible.
                  Which shows how big of political hacks they truly are. It’s a hard math question. She won’t the popular vote by 3 million, she was up in California by almost 4.3 million, so yeah, California pushed her over the top.
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Once again you're exhibiting your reading comprehension problem.

Comment

Sure, Jim.

Comment

I noted you don’t want to deal with the math. Why Jimmy?
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

JimL, let's spell it out for you in words of one syllable. With no CA, Trump wins popular vote.

It's true.
                          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                            JimL, let's spell it out for you in words of one syllable. With no CA, Trump wins popular vote.

It's true.
                            No, it's not true. It's a dumb argument. If you're going to remove California from the Clinton column then you need remove Texas from the Trump column. In that case Hillary still wins the popular vote by 232,477. Duh!

Comment

So, apparently Biden has indicated he would only serve one term - maybe to calm the fears of those who say he'd be way too old for a second term.

The Dems, therefore, have to face that possibility.

Why Democrats should embrace a one-term President Biden

It is time for progressive Democrats to prepare for the possibility of a Joe Biden presidency — and for that presidency to last just four short years.

Why? Because that's apparently is what Biden himself is doing. Politico on Wednesday reported the former vice president is "quietly" signalling to aides he would serve only a single term, if elected, in part to mollify young lefty voters who seem unenthusiastic about his campaign.

"If Biden is elected, he's going to be 82 years old in four years and he won't be running for re-election," an unidentified campaign adviser said.

Biden denied the story, but a denial would be expected. And there is a precedent for such a move — Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) won the House speakership earlier this year based, in part, on a pledge to give up the post no later than 2022. It seems the septuagenarians who make up the leadership of the Democratic Party are taking an Augustinian approach to passing the torch to the next generation: They're willing to do it, but not just yet.

It could work. Biden has been at or near the top of the Democratic polls since entering the race, and he has continued to poll solidly among the African-American voters who are a critical part of the party's base. The party's leftmost activists find Biden endlessly frustrating — with good reason — but right now there is a pretty good chance he will be the party's nominee next fall.

Comment

Do you really believe that if Biden is elected, that he wouldn't seek a second term?
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment