Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

False Idol — Why the Christian Right Worships Donald Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Awesome! I eagerly await Charles chiding you on "whataboutism"
    Heck no. Charles just found himself a new bestie!
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      No Charles, no Christian here worships Trump. Who should we have voted for - Hillary? Second, Trump did exactly what I voted for Him to do - 145 originalist judges on the lower federal courts and two on the Supreme court. The courts were my main concern.
      I expect this capitalization was just a typo, but I still found it funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I voted for the President, not the Pope.
        So, when you read this in the opening post:

In Jeffress' final argument, he reminded everyone — in apocalyptic terms — what that support would mean. “What I want to say in closing is this election is not a battle between Republicans and Democrats. It’s a battle between good and evil, light and darkness, righteousness and unrighteousness. . . . This is the last chance we have, I’m convinced, as a country to turn this country around.”
        Did you agree with me and the author that there is something wrong when you describe it in these terms and that this is an improper use of terms you would usually use in a religious and not a political context? Would it make any sense for someone who believes in an almigthy God to describe the election of Trump, or any other person for that matter, as "the last chance we have"?

If you really did not vote for the pope then why do you take issues with me pointing out that the election should not be described in terms of "a battle between good and evil, light and darkness, righteousness and unrighteousness."?
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
          Charles,
          I'm sorry you had a bad experience or interpretation of Christianity when growing up.
          While your intentions are obviously good, statements like these in which you presuppose based on a lack of actual knowledge about my situation and in doing so also fail to explain or give reasons (which of course can be tough when you rely on presuppositions) reminds me of someone preaching to the choir.
          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
            While your intentions are obviously good, statements like these in which you presuppose based on a lack of actual knowledge about my situation and in doing so also fail to explain or give reasons (which of course can be tough when you rely on presuppositions) reminds me of someone preaching to the choir.
            Maybe you can clarify things a bit. Nothing has been making sense so far.

You just mention that you grew up in a Christian family but now you are agnostic. Agnosticism isn't exactly a standard Christian doctrine.

I can understand a kid growing up in a Christian family thinking he is a Christian but never really come to faith toward God. I've even heard of a deacon who realized (after he was a deacon) that he hadn't previously become a Christian. But, I don't know what your story beyond the things you have represented of yourself in this thread.
            Last edited by mikewhitney; 12-06-2019, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
              I expect this capitalization was just a typo, but I still found it funny.
              I think it was a Freudian slip.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                I think it was a Freudian slip.
                Of course an idiot would think that...
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Of course an idiot would think that...
                  You misspelled stable genius. No one knows more about the subconscious than I.

Comment

No Charles, no Christian here worships Trump. Who should we have voted for - Hillary? Second, Trump did exactly what I voted for Him to do - 145 originalist judges on the lower federal courts and two on the Supreme court. The courts were my main concern.
                    And you expect His Tr(i)umphant return in 2020?

Comment

And you expect His Tr(i)umphant return in 2020?
                      I expect his reelection... But your snide remark doesn't change what I said.
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                        You misspelled stable genius. No one knows more about the subconscious than I.
                        Misspelled what where? And sometimes a cigar is just a cigar....

Comment

I expect his reelection... But your snide remark doesn't change what I said.
                          I did not mean to change anything. It was just an attempt to make some fun. I do not believe it was anything more than a typo.

Comment

I did not mean to change anything. It was just an attempt to make some fun. I do not believe it was anything more than a typo.
                            And Charles did you really expect conservatives Christians to support Clinton over Trump, or now to support the radical left over him?

Comment

And Charles did you really expect conservatives Christians to support Clinton over Trump, or now to support the radical left over him?
                              There is a huge difference between voting for or even supporting Trump at some point and then describing him in these terms:

What I want to say in closing is this election is not a battle between Republicans and Democrats. It’s a battle between good and evil, light and darkness, righteousness and unrighteousness. . . . This is the last chance we have, I’m convinced, as a country to turn this country around.”
                              You see the difference?

Comment

There is a huge difference between voting for or even supporting Trump at some point and then describing him in these terms:

You see the difference?
                                Well as far as POLICY it is kind of good verses evil.

Comment