Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Little Greta comes clean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    I think you are implying if we can't keep to a 2.0C goal, it's not worth doing anything at all. And no one is trying to actually lower temperatures globally. The goals target limiting the total temperature growth to some hopefully 'safe enough' value.
    I'm responding to the rhetoric of "the world's going to end in catastrophe in 12 years" unless we implement radical policy now. The goal is to keep "global temperature rise" below 2C to prevent those consequences, and even that might not be enough, so say the alarmists. Just "doing anything" is not enough. You seem to be making arguments that are outside mainstream views. Scientific alarmism is what I'm addressing because that's what Greta's platform has always been based on, and she's addressing mainstream views about the issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      rogue tech laboratories and bait shop have been using contiguous fusion reactors (CFR or con-fusion reactors) for over 30 years now. An aside from that one little incident which resulted in TROMIE, THE NUCLEAR SQUIRREL we've been 100% accident free.

Almost.

Give or take.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41292[/ATTACH]
      Poor Tromie
      Are you also forgetting about the gamma gun experiment where 3 people were melted?
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
          I'm responding to the rhetoric of "the world's going to end in catastrophe in 12 years" unless we implement radical policy now. The goal is to keep "global temperature rise" below 2C to prevent those consequences, and even that might not be enough, so say the alarmists. Just "doing anything" is not enough. You seem to be making arguments that are outside mainstream views. Scientific alarmism is what I'm addressing because that's what Greta's platform has always been based on, and she's addressing mainstream views about the issue.
          Your so-called "scientific alarmism" is well founded and action is required. Compelling evidence demonstrates that global warming is already under way with consequences that must be faced today as well as tomorrow. The smug approach of the religious right, namely "don't worry, God will just take care of it, Jesus will return before things get too bad" will result in catastrophe - to the extent that our planet will be uninhabitable for our grandchildren.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            Your so-called "scientific alarmism" is well founded and action is required. Compelling evidence demonstrates that global warming is already under way with consequences that must be faced today as well as tomorrow. The smug approach of the religious right, namely "don't worry, God will just take care of it, Jesus will return before things get too bad" will result in catastrophe - to the extent that our planet will be uninhabitable for our grandchildren.
            So the apocalypse is not 12 years away, but a couple of generations down the pike!

Are there any scientific climate models which predict that this planet will be uninhabitable at some point? I think that the models and predictions hold that certain areas will be uninhabitable (such as coastlines) while other areas will suffer significant changes, such as severe storms.

Even if the worst predictions come to pass, such as massive extinctions, does that imply uninhabitability for humans?

Comment

• Guess who is Time Magazine's 2019 Person of the Year.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I think there was more substance to it last year: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/11/b...year-time.html
                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Your so-called "scientific alarmism" is well founded and action is required.
                  Agreed. It is well founded in that the alarmism is really happening.

Compelling evidence demonstrates that global warming is already under way with consequences that must be faced today as well as tomorrow. The smug approach of the religious right, namely "don't worry, God will just take care of it, Jesus will return before things get too bad" will result in catastrophe - to the extent that our planet will be uninhabitable for our grandchildren.
                  So your response is to just be another alarmist? Nice.

I don't think "God will just take care of it" I think natural scientific and technological progress will. Electric cars, solar, nuclear and fusion power, etc. I also don't think that comments like yours are true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    I don't think "God will just take care of it" I think natural scientific and technological progress will. Electric cars, solar, nuclear and fusion power, etc. I also don't think that comments like yours are true.
                    Tassman specializes in finding quotes he likes, and dishonestly assigning them to broad categories of people, especially if those people are Christians.

(In fact, I can't think of any examples where his targets were NOT Christians)
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                      I'm not responding to that rhetoric. I'm responding to people that want to pretend AGW is not happening and we therefore don't need to do anything about it. And I'm responding to people that believe AGW is a big conspiracy to try to control and/or bring down the free world.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Tassman specializes in finding quotes he likes, and dishonestly assigning them to broad categories of people, especially if those people are Christians.

(In fact, I can't think of any examples where his targets were NOT Christians)
                        Neither could you, seemingly, provide examples in which he is "dishonestly assigning them to broad categories of people, especially if those people are Christians". There is an instance of a rather broad claim in his pointing to the religious right and even in that case you have not done much to show how the statement is dishonest.
                        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

I think this is the sort of thing seanD is complaining about. Please explain what you believe is a realistic description of would be the consequences of the current trend in CO2 production over the next 60 to 80 years, and why you feel it is reasonable to characterize that consequence as 'our planet will be uninhabitable for our grandchildren'.
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• No one ever says it, but in many ways global warming will be a good thing

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-will-be-a-go/
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                              Neither could you, seemingly, provide examples in which he is "dishonestly assigning them to broad categories of people, especially if those people are Christians". There is an instance of a rather broad claim in his pointing to the religious right and even in that case you have not done much to show how the statement is dishonest.
                              I can't prove a negative, Charles. But I know LOTS of Christians, and am very much involved in the leadership of the largest protestant denomination in the US --- This notion Christians believe that "don't worry, God will just take care of it, Jesus will return before things get too bad" is just nutty. I don't know a single person who advocates that.

It would be up to Tassman to prove that this is actually a common notion among Christians.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                Agreed. It is well founded in that the alarmism is really happening.
                                But that isn't the point he was making. The point he's making is that he believes the evidence for AGW and the expected progress of that warming if GHG production by humans is not curtailed justifies being alarmed. So to engage his point one would need to discuss what the consequences are likely to be and if those consequences actually justify being alarmed.

So your response is to just be another alarmist? Nice.
                                If the facts justify alarm, shouldn't he be? The problem here is one can't just assume 'climate alarmism' is unfounded. A large number of well-trained and gifted scientists are on board with at least some aspects of it. So one needs to investigate the facts and try to understand if the 'alarmism' is in fact justified. If we are not willing to look at the evidence, then what justifies a dismissal of the 'alarm'?

I don't think "God will just take care of it" I think natural scientific and technological progress will. Electric cars, solar, nuclear and fusion power, etc.
                                This is very possible. But can you at least acknowledge that one of the reasons we are headed that way in a fashion that may in fact be sufficient to help is because a large number of people take seriously the consequences of not doing something about it, as opposed, say, to just dismissing it as 'alarmism'?

I also don't think that comments like yours are true.
                                Rather than just dismissing them as not true, I've asked him to discuss why he believes them to be true. And I am willing to discuss the science with him, because that is the only way to understand if his statement is true or likely true.
                                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-11-2019, 08:12 AM.

Comment