Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Majority of Republicans polled think Trump better than Lincoln

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Lincoln was dead set against seeking revenge against the South
    When Honest Abe heard the news about the fall.....

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Perhaps you should move to a less prejudiced and bigoted part of the South?
      No matter where you live in the South you cannot escape the South. I do live in Hillsborough, NC a blue island in a sea of red.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        No matter where you live in the South you cannot escape the South. I do live in Hillsborough, NC a blue island in a sea of red.
        Shuny, I work pretty much with conservative Republicans in my church work, and pretty much with leftist Democrats in my work life, and I hear absolutely NOTHING that indicates hate for Lincoln in any way, shape or form.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have a hard time ranking presidents. They are from different eras facing different challenges, and some didn't face any real challenges at all.

Of the recent variety, I'd vote for Eisenhower to be on Rushmore.

Comment

No matter where you live in the South you cannot escape the South.
            Some of us would never dream of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
              I have a hard time ranking presidents. They are from different eras facing different challenges, and some didn't face any real challenges at all.

Of the recent variety, I'd vote for Eisenhower to be on Rushmore.
              The modern day conservatives, not all of them, but a good many of them, would see Eisenhower today as what they would call a Rino.

Comment

The romanticized sentimentalism of the Lost Cause mythology has taken firm root in the American conscience, and especially so in the south. In that mythology, some are elevated (Stonewall Jackson and Lee), others lessened (Longstreet, Grant, and Lincoln), while others dropped or ignored (Jefferson Davis).

Different individuals and different groups adopt certain pieces of the mythology in different ways. I don't think anyone is saying that all southerners are monolithic and single minded. It is curious the way generalizations are interpreted.

Comment

How would Reconstruction have been different had Lincoln lived?

Would it have been gentle and accepted by defeated populace? Would Lincoln have embarked on a course to extend emancipation to include the franchise (political rights as citizens)? Could Lincoln have steered a course which would avoid the Jim Crow legacy?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Some of us would never dream of it.
                    I will never leave the South, but I believe I am more honest as to the social problems of the South. Racism still rages under a veneer of superficial political correctness. Many in the South are still fighting the Civil War, and justifying the secession of Southern states. This reflects in the Southern negative view of Lincoln.
                    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      The modern day conservatives, not all of them, but a good many of them, would see Eisenhower today as what they would call a Rino.
                      That would be amusing since Eisenhower was about as conservative as they come. Reagan, Nixon and the Bushes each expanded government more than Eisenhower. And it was Eisenhower who warned future generations about entrenched bureaucrats and getting involved in useless wars.

If any of those Republicans were RINOs it would be Nixon. He was a liberal by almost any standard.

Comment

That would be amusing since Eisenhower was about as conservative as they come. Reagan, Nixon and the Bushes each expanded government more than Eisenhower. And it was Eisenhower who warned future generations about entrenched bureaucrats and getting involved in useless wars.

If any of those Republicans were RINOs it would be Nixon. He was a liberal by almost any standard.
                        I'm not sure where JimL gets the idea. I'm drawing a blank on recalling any castigation of Eisenhower as a RINO in my conservative news sources.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I will never leave the South, but I believe I am more honest as to the social problems of the South.
                          More honest? than? ME?

Shuny - I work with the "social problems of the South" nearly every day of my life. I don't think it gets any more honest than that.

Racism still rages under a veneer of superficial political correctness. Many in the South are still fighting the Civil War, and justifying the secession of Southern states. This reflects in the Southern negative view of Lincoln.
                          I'm aware of a tiny fringe group of loonies who hold that view, and the rest of us just shrug and press on. Even some of the guys I know who say things like "The South shall RISE AGAIN" only do it to get a reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            I'm not sure where JimL gets the idea. I'm drawing a blank on recalling any castigation of Eisenhower as a RINO in my conservative news sources.
                            I did a quick search of liberal talking points for anything upon which that oculd be based, and came up completely empty.

I DO remember that's one of the reasons my Dad first began thinking about voting Republican!

Comment

But few recognize Ike as a political conservative, instead lumping him in with the eastern establishment Republicans.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...servative.html

Note that the opening paragraph notes that few have placed the conservative label on Ike. He expanded social security and federal involvement in health care, using federal funds to force hospitals to integrate, called in federal troops to Little Rock, and despised Goldwater. Hardly conservative solutions.

Comment

Trumps current headache with China is a direct result of Nixon’s foreign policy decisions with China. Likewise, both OSHA and the EPA are Nixon’s creation. Really, the biggest criticism I hear about Eisenhower is that he wasn’t a war general, but a pencil pusher, for most of his military career and his tendency to use the newly created CIA (established under Truman in 1947), to do his bidding.
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment