Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Majority of Republicans polled think Trump better than Lincoln

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Many if not most conservative Republicans in the South hate Lincoln for obvious reasons. In North and South Carolina it is almost unanimous, with a lot white silk sheets in the closet flying Confederate flags.
    Making up stories again, I see.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      That was my guess.
      Being a bigot doesn't help your case. Of course neither does listening to Shuny's lies. The South generally likes Lincoln more than the North. His reunification would have been far better for the South and the country. Northern Republicans were still out for blood, hence the impeachment of Johnson.

Seriously, did you flunk every single history class?
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        Being a bigot doesn't help your case. Of course neither does listening to Shuny's lies. The South generally likes Lincoln more than the North. His reunification would have been far better for the South and the country. Northern Republicans were still out for blood, hence the impeachment of Johnson.

When Honest Abe heard the news about the fall
        the folks thought he'd throw a great victory ball
        but he asked the band to play the song "Dixie"
        for you Johnny Reb, and all that you believed.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Here's the problem....

A) the Democrats have to come up with AoC they can actually sell to the American public.
          2) they have to get enough representatives in the House to vote FOR impeachment to move to the Senate
          c) that means they will probably have to get major support from the American public, and that's just not changing
          D) even IF it goes to the Senate, a snowball has a better chance of surviving the hot place.
          I think you're underestimating the snowball...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Apparently you have not meet any 'Sons of the Confederacy' which is very active in NC
            You, sir, really need to widen your circle of acquaintances.

(is that a banjo I hear? )
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              You, sir, really need to widen your circle of acquaintances.

(is that a banjo I hear? )
              Actually because of my interest in history I have attended the 'Sons of Confederate Veterans' often and have friends there. One long term friend. They discouraged me from using 5 dollar bills when I paid for the Onions they sold to raise money, and pay for lunch with them.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Actually because of my interest in history I have attended the 'Sons of Confederate Veterans' often and have friends there. One long term friend. They discouraged me from using 5 dollar bills when I paid for the Onions they sold to raise money, and pay for lunch with them.
                That's a heartwarming anecdotal story, Shuny. Thank you so very much for sharing it.

Just remember --- an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but an onion a day keeps EVERYBODY away!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Because Trump is the first president ever to cite Executive Privilege
                  If the President can deny documentary evidence, deny witnesses from testifying, which will be precedent if he gets away with it, then you can throw Congressional oversight and any check on the Presidency out the window in the future. Hmmm, that would pretty much mean the President in the future can do whatever he wants, sort of like a dictator.

Comment

Shunya didn't say the south, Tea, he said many, if not most, conservative republicans in the south hate Lincoln. But yea, I'm sure the South, you know, that part of the country that went to war against the North and President Lincoln, now likes Lincoln more than the North does. Did you take a count, or do you just make this stuff up in your own mind?
                    Last edited by JimL; 12-02-2019, 11:41 PM.

Comment

I got A's in history, but deleted everything I learned when I graduated. :-(
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Making up stories again, I see.
                        Have you ever listened to someone who was held a strict constructionism view on the constitution, regardless of which area he was from? Lincoln placed the onus on the south, while the seccessionists saw their actions as constitutional.

Many do view Lincoln's actions negatively, while also recognizing some of the great things Lincoln did.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          Shunya didn't say the south, Tea, he said many, if not most, conservative republicans in the south hate Lincoln. But yea, I'm sure the South, you know, that part of the country that went to war against the North and President Lincoln, now likes Lincoln more than the North does. Did you take a count, or do you just make this stuff up in your own mind?
                          *emphasis mine

Did too, and now you're both wrong.

Lincoln's version of reunification was much better than Reconstruction and, unlike you history ignorant Yankees, every Southerner knows it. My guess is you have no clue why Johnson was impeached.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                            Have you ever listened to someone who was held a strict constructionism view on the constitution, regardless of which area he was from? Lincoln placed the onus on the south, while the seccessionists saw their actions as constitutional.

Many do view Lincoln's actions negatively, while also recognizing some of the great things Lincoln did.
                            Granted - but that wasn't the question. In the South, Lincoln has a more positive than negative reputation - and we all still think the Court was wrong.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

You imply that they're a bunch of unrepentant racists with a "lot white silk sheets in the closet" (KKK robes) but have friends there. So how long have you been paling around with KKK members?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                                I got A's in history, but deleted everything I learned when I graduated. :-(
                                When I was in History and Civics back in High Skewl other kids would actually use me to fact check what the teacher said.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment