Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Majority of Republicans polled think Trump better than Lincoln

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
    They'll largely side with the government.
    Mayne you have a point, so far the military has pretty much sided with the government. But they are an arm of the government.

There are quite a few Christians in the military, at all ranks, part of what liberals deride as the G-d and guns culture.

Do you even know anyone who has served?

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
      Mayne you have a point, so far the military has pretty much sided with the government. But they are an arm of the government.

There are quite a few Christians in the military, at all ranks, part of what liberals deride as the G-d and guns culture.

Do you even know anyone who has served?
      He probably knows someone who has served in the Russian army.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        Creating regulations that make building new buildings expensive, which drives up the price, which prices people out of the housing market.
        Is that really why housing price has gone up over the years?

Most regulations are put in place for a reason. Yes, there are exceptions, some of the regulations do make one wonder. But those do not account for the expensive housing.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          He probably knows someone who has served in the Russian army.
          Even the Soviet Army knew that asking troops to use force on their neighbors had a cost on morale. And it is even more so today in the post Soviet Russia.

The mindset which has an extreme distrust of the military can be found among to groups, extreme leftists, and those on the right, the Christian right. This form of anti-military is different from the other divides where some see the problem residing in those across the aisle. But the military is an institution of our country, a democratic country, and the servicemen are drawn from our neighbors.

And Christians, conservative Christians, are heavily represented in the military. Which raises the question if a large institution can be influenced by Christian values by having Christians enter into the institution.

Comment

And Christians, conservative Christians, are heavily represented in the military. Which raises the question if a large institution can be influenced by Christian values by having Christians enter into the institution.
            That may actually be an interesting topic for another thread.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Is that really why housing price has gone up over the years?

Most regulations are put in place for a reason. Yes, there are exceptions, some of the regulations do make one wonder. But those do not account for the expensive housing.
              It’s much tougher, for builders to build in the state than it used to be. This drives up cost because more red tape = more cost. My parents own a 1300 square foot home, 2 hours away from LA. It’s valued at 250,000, pricing most young families and lower income people, out of the market.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Even the Soviet Army knew that asking troops to use force on their neighbors had a cost on morale. And it is even more so today in the post Soviet Russia.

The mindset which has an extreme distrust of the military can be found among to groups, extreme leftists, and those on the right, the Christian right. This form of anti-military is different from the other divides where some see the problem residing in those across the aisle. But the military is an institution of our country, a democratic country, and the servicemen are drawn from our neighbors.

The culture of the military is interesting, you have those that party and drink like fish and you have more religious types in the mix too.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

The culture of the military is interesting, you have those that party and drink like fish and you have more religious types in the mix too.
                  Yeah, peer pressure is intense. My older brother, a former marine, deals with a lot of military at Camp Lejeune. It's pretty tough to be a practicing Christian in the Marine Corps, particularly.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

ItÂ’s much tougher, for builders to build in the state than it used to be. This drives up cost because more red tape = more cost. My parents own a 1300 square foot home, 2 hours away from LA. ItÂ’s valued at 250,000, pricing most young families and lower income people, out of the market.
                    Very little of that cost is due to regulation. The cost to stick build a house is over a hundred dollars per square foot, regardless of the region. In areas where there is lax regulations, there are many problems (as is the case with do-it-yourself construction). Most regulations regarding housing are common sense, and cannot be rescinded without serious repercussions.

The problem is not with regulations, but some areas do impose unnecessary and burdensome regulations.

In my neck of the woods (western NY), it is cheaper to buy existing housing than to build new. And there are a dizzying array of regulations, too many for the average person to track. But which ones to roll back? Most relate to some of the codes which are based on best practices. The one area which does impact costs greatly are local zoning on lot size. But those are local governments imposing what the voters want.

Comment

Very little of that cost is due to regulation. The cost to stick build a house is over a hundred dollars per square foot, regardless of the region. In areas where there is lax regulations, there are many problems (as is the case with do-it-yourself construction). Most regulations regarding housing are common sense, and cannot be rescinded without serious repercussions.

The problem is not with regulations, but some areas do impose unnecessary and burdensome regulations.

In my neck of the woods (western NY), it is cheaper to buy existing housing than to build new. And there are a dizzying array of regulations, too many for the average person to track. But which ones to roll back? Most relate to some of the codes which are based on best practices. The one area which does impact costs greatly are local zoning on lot size. But those are local governments imposing what the voters want.
                      I think we might be speaking past each other. I agree regulations are not the issue as excessive ones are.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I think we might be speaking past each other. I agree regulations are not the issue as excessive ones are.
                        Except I am arguing that the excessive regulations are inconsequential on the impact on the price of housing. Other factors account for it, notably inflation and supply and demand (free market).

One reason I commented on it is that it has become common for conservatives to rail against regulations. But then we are left with the question of which regulations. I can't think of any regulations, common across a region, which can be repealed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Yeah, peer pressure is intense. My older brother, a former marine, deals with a lot of military at Camp Lejeune. It's pretty tough to be a practicing Christian in the Marine Corps, particularly.
                          As the joke goes:

The Army and Navy are military branches, the Air Force is a business, and the Marines are a cult.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

As the joke goes:

The Army and Navy are military branches, the Air Force is a business, and the Marines are a cult.
                            One of my brothers was a marine, another a sailor. Thanksgivings were always fun when both of them were home.

Marine brother: We're the first in and the last out.
                            Navy brother: Yeah, well, you can't even GET there unless we take you!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              One of my brothers was a marine, another a sailor. Thanksgivings were always fun when both of them were home.

Marine brother: We're the first in and the last out.
                              Navy brother: Yeah, well, you can't even GET there unless we take you!
                              To throw fuel on the fire:

MARINE - My ___ Rides In Navy Equipment
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

To throw fuel on the fire:

MARINE - My ___ Rides In Navy Equipment
                                Navy: Yeah, and when you get yourself shot, Marine, you don't even have medics! You have to call the Navy Corpsman! (or, as Obama liked to say "corpse men")

Comment