Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Homeless Problem and Manufacturing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Homeless Problem and Manufacturing

    If Trump were smart and innovative, he’d create a solution for homelessness. He’d expand mental health institutions and put the most mentally ill (those who cannot work) there where they’d get treatment. He’d take the remainder who can work and want jobs and rehabilitate them with honest jobs where they’d manufacture his hats and junk. He’d then expand this successful model to train the homeless to manufacture other products. There’s no other viable solution to compete with China. We have the cheap labor, the people who want jobs and honest work. They are an untapped resource he—and all the other presidents before him since Reagan—have ignored.
    Last edited by whag; 11-25-2019, 04:42 PM.

  • #2
    "Mentally ill held in Hitler-like concentration camps and forced labor facilities!" - CNN.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by seanD View Post
      "Mentally ill held in Hitler-like concentration camps and forced labor facilities!" - CNN.
      No, the mentally ill would be in mental hospitals. The able-minded homeless would be paid a living wage...to make MAGA hats and toenail clippers.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by whag View Post
        No, the mentally ill would be in mental hospitals. The able-minded homeless would be paid a living wage...to make MAGA hats and toenail clippers.
        That's not how they would spin it.
        "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

        Comment


        • #5
          Welcome back, the trolling is of good quality.
          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by whag View Post
            If Trump were smart and innovative, he’d create a solution for homelessness. He’d expand mental health institutions and put the most mentally ill (those who cannot work) there where they’d get treatment. He’d take the remainder who can work and want jobs and rehabilitate them with honest jobs where they’d manufacture his hats and junk. He’d then expand this successful model to train the homeless to manufacture other products. There’s no other viable solution to compete with China. We have the cheap labor, the people who want jobs and honest work. They are an untapped resource he—and all the other presidents before him since Reagan—have ignored.
            The problem with this is that the government does not have the right to make slaves of people just because they are homeless.

            Some people don't like being tied down to a mindless job and won';t submit themselves to such work. Other people just want to live a life without obligations to others. Other people have drug problems and may not fit well into rehab programs.

            There are some people who just had too many things acting against them and can use some help to get out of this. But it will take some ingenious plan to help these people. I'm not sure we can predicate who would have the genius solution that would not just be an endless welfare scheme. One thing that could help is to get rid of minimum wage laws -- these laws block people from taking on work that may be commensurate with their needs, desires and abilities, as they try to either survive in a homeless state or to rise out of it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by seanD View Post
              That's not how they would spin it.
              In ANY administration, the opposing side will always spin the president's efforts. That's pretty much irrelevant here.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                The problem with this is that the government does not have the right to make slaves of people just because they are homeless.

                Some people don't like being tied down to a mindless job and won';t submit themselves to such work. Other people just want to live a life without obligations to others. Other people have drug problems and may not fit well into rehab programs.

                There are some people who just had too many things acting against them and can use some help to get out of this. But it will take some ingenious plan to help these people. I'm not sure we can predicate who would have the genius solution that would not just be an endless welfare scheme. One thing that could help is to get rid of minimum wage laws -- these laws block people from taking on work that may be commensurate with their needs, desires and abilities, as they try to either survive in a homeless state or to rise out of it.
                I didn't say anything about enforcement. The new manufacturing sector would be an offer of help for the many homeless who don't like living on the streets.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by whag View Post
                  If Trump were smart and innovative, he’d create a solution for homelessness. He’d expand mental health institutions and put the most mentally ill (those who cannot work) there where they’d get treatment. He’d take the remainder who can work and want jobs and rehabilitate them with honest jobs where they’d manufacture his hats and junk. He’d then expand this successful model to train the homeless to manufacture other products. There’s no other viable solution to compete with China. We have the cheap labor, the people who want jobs and honest work. They are an untapped resource he—and all the other presidents before him since Reagan—have ignored.
                  I agree that it's a problem that needs to be addressed, and what we've done in the past hasn't worked.
                  "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by whag View Post
                    I didn't say anything about enforcement. The new manufacturing sector would be an offer of help for the many homeless who don't like living on the streets.
                    Understanding, of course, that there will always be some, perhaps of the mental illness, who will live "on the streets" no matter what.

                    But, yeah, the situation needs to be addressed.
                    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Understanding, of course, that there will always be some, perhaps of the mental illness, who will live "on the streets" no matter what.

                      But, yeah, the situation needs to be addressed.
                      Of course there are. Those who prefer street living are fewer than those who want work, food, and shelter.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by whag View Post
                        Of course there are. Those who prefer street living are fewer than those who want work, food, and shelter.
                        Not fighting you, Whag -- just making the point that part of the process is determining which ones actually want help, and which ones want to be left alone. Too many times, we assume things we don't know.

                        Not so much recently, but I remember when Houston Police would go on their "it's gonna freeze tonight, let's get you to a shelter" emphasis -- and many homeless would simply refuse to be helped. Now, it's entirely possible that it was because it was "the Police" as opposed to some aid agencies, but best efforts were made.

                        Then there's the problem of -- in our community, there was an entire hotel - 140 rooms - dedicated to the homeless, and local aid agencies footed the bill. The problem was that it had the effect of concentrating all the criminals and druggies in the same place, and they had greater access to crime and drugs. It was sad, and about 2 years ago, the aid agencies finally admitted defeat.

                        So, the big question is - when we get all these people together, how do we keep the situation from devolving to "the lowest common denominator"?
                        "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                          The problem with this is that the government does not have the right to make slaves of people just because they are homeless.

                          Some people don't like being tied down to a mindless job and won';t submit themselves to such work. Other people just want to live a life without obligations to others. Other people have drug problems and may not fit well into rehab programs.

                          There are some people who just had too many things acting against them and can use some help to get out of this. But it will take some ingenious plan to help these people. I'm not sure we can predicate who would have the genius solution that would not just be an endless welfare scheme. One thing that could help is to get rid of minimum wage laws -- these laws block people from taking on work that may be commensurate with their needs, desires and abilities, as they try to either survive in a homeless state or to rise out of it.
                          The hardest part of this whole business - and I've been in it for over 30 years - is determining which ones want to actually improve their lives and which ones just want to game the system. You don't want to give up on somebody who can be "brought along", but you don't want to waste your time with somebody who's just gonna be a liability for everybody else.
                          "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Not fighting you, Whag -- just making the point that part of the process is determining which ones actually want help, and which ones want to be left alone. Too many times, we assume things we don't know.

                            Not so much recently, but I remember when Houston Police would go on their "it's gonna freeze tonight, let's get you to a shelter" emphasis -- and many homeless would simply refuse to be helped. Now, it's entirely possible that it was because it was "the Police" as opposed to some aid agencies, but best efforts were made.

                            Then there's the problem of -- in our community, there was an entire hotel - 140 rooms - dedicated to the homeless, and local aid agencies footed the bill. The problem was that it had the effect of concentrating all the criminals and druggies in the same place, and they had greater access to crime and drugs. It was sad, and about 2 years ago, the aid agencies finally admitted defeat.

                            So, the big question is - when we get all these people together, how do we keep the situation from devolving to "the lowest common denominator"?
                            I've heard similar stories, and to be frank, I really don't know. What we need is a genius statesman to figure it out--a truly "stable genius" who gets things done and can work the problem. If only we had that. Sarcasm tags.

                            Funny, but this isn't my idea. I actually heard it from a Chinese businessman who operated the U.S. division of computer parts/electric scooter/skateboard manufacturer. He was wondering why the homeless in his area (Ontario, California) couldn't be used help establish new manufacturing in the U.S., since they--like the Chinese--could assemble simple products in exchange for a living wage. It could at least make a dent.

                            People don't realize that two ideologically opposed presidents--Reagan and Clinton--contributed greatly to the current mess. Reagan for closing mental institutions and Clinton for welfare reform without any real plan for the blowback.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by whag View Post
                              I've heard similar stories, and to be frank, I really don't know. What we need is a genius statesman to figure it out--a truly "stable genius" who gets things done and can work the problem. If only we had that. Sarcasm tags.

                              Funny, but this isn't my idea. I actually heard it from a Chinese businessman who operated the U.S. division of computer parts/electric scooter/skateboard manufacturer. He was wondering why the homeless in his area (Ontario, California) couldn't be used help establish new manufacturing in the U.S., since they--like the Chinese--could assemble simple products in exchange for a living wage. It could at least make a dent.

                              People don't realize that two ideologically opposed presidents--Reagan and Clinton--contributed greatly to the current mess. Reagan for closing mental institutions and Clinton for welfare reform without any real plan for the blowback.
                              I would encourage you to look at your claim that "Reagan closed down mental institutions". I think you'll find that's a rather notorious myth. Care to discuss?
                              "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Esther, Today, 12:09 PM
                              25 responses
                              118 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by Gondwanaland, Yesterday, 01:42 PM
                              44 responses
                              226 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seer
                              by seer
                               
                              Started by Ronson, Yesterday, 11:16 AM
                              11 responses
                              88 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by Juvenal, Yesterday, 04:13 AM
                              14 responses
                              67 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Terraceth  
                              Started by shunyadragon, 11-24-2020, 06:20 PM
                              22 responses
                              139 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Working...
                              X