Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Republicans’ motivations are all out in the open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Republicans’ motivations are all out in the open

Michael Gerson has once again written an interesting piece on Trump and the republicans:

“Secretary [Rick] Perry, Ambassador [Kurt] Volker and I worked with Mr. Rudy Giuliani on Ukraine matters at the express direction of the president of the United States. . . . We followed the president’s orders. . . . Everyone was in the loop.”

With these words, Gordon Sondland, ambassador to the European Union, did his country the favor of candor and clarity. This does not mean that elected Republicans will yield to reason and evidence. But it does change conditions on the ground in significant ways.
    According to Sondland, Vice President Pence was informed of the extortion attempt and said nothing. Both acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo were closely involved in the effort.
    Congress now has every reason and right to hear directly from Barr, Pence, Mulvaney and Pompeo, given their implication in public corruption. And their refusal to testify compounds their apparent corruption with cowardice.
    Third, the Sondland testimony — along with the testimony of other witnesses — has stripped away the last, semi-rational arguments advanced by Republican defenders of the president. No quid pro quo? No longer tenable. Secondhand hearsay? Not anymore. A “deep-state” plot? Tell that to Vindman and Taylor. The president as anti-corruption crusader? Give me a break.
    Any leader who would depend on Rudy Giuliani, Michael Cohen, Paul Manafort and Roger Stone for service and counsel is not a bad judge of character; he is a good judge of useful knaves.
    But at the top of those lines Trump has placed people such as Mulvaney, Barr, Pence and Pompeo, who are morally neutered.
    Other Republicans will want to appear more reluctant. But anyone who puts power above truth and character is doing a nasty disservice to their country. And it won’t be forgotten.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...d00_story.html
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Democrats want to throw Trump from the train so they can control it all by themselves, and will do anything they feel necessary to accomplish that.
    Republicans want to keep Trump on the train so they can keep the White House, the Senate, and will do anything they feel necessary to accomplish that.

Who else is absolutely shocked? SHOCKED, I say!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm still wondering who Michael Gerson is and why I should care about his opinion.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I'm still wondering who Michael Gerson is and why I should care about his opinion.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I need to get a subscription to the WaPo.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Is that Michael Gerson, or a young Garrison Keillor?

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              I need to get a subscription to the WaPo.
              I did not need one. You can read it for free. At least I could.
              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                I did not need one. You can read it for free. At least I could.
                Many of these outfits allow you x number of page views per day or week, then start throwing up a paywall.

Washington Post offers free access to users who are Amazon Prime members, meaning people who bought the Amazon Prime subscription. Also, you can have unlimited access if you have .edu, .mil/, or .gov email. In such case, you should fill in your email in the required field while registering on the site. You will be able to get your free subscription after the email is verified.

Comment

If you have firefox and you're quick with the esc key at the right time, you usually can stop the paywall block from loading

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                    If you have firefox and you're quick with the esc key at the right time, you usually can stop the paywall block from loading
                    It's the Washington Compost. Not worth the effort.

Comment

It's the Washington Compost. Not worth the effort.
                      So, we should rather wake up and smell the roses? Like:

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Sorry for thinking that it might be worth the effort anyway.

Comment

Michael Gerson has once again written an interesting piece on Trump and the republicans:

But Reporters ... who put power above truth and character are doing a nasty disservice to their country. And it won’t be forgotten.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...d00_story.html
                        I thought this corrected version of the opinion section was very important.

Comment

Is that Michael Gerson, or a young Garrison Keillor?
                          Or an old Harry Potter?
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Sorry for thinking that it might be worth the effort anyway.

Comment

Remember, the thread title is "Republicans’ motivations are all out in the open"

In Their Own Words, Democrats Explain Why This Impeachment Is A Farce

Schiff recently issued this letter in which he explained the criteria for approving witnesses requested by Republicans in his hippity-hoppity kangaroo impeachment court. Such witnesses must be “relevant,” or Schiff will not approve them. In order for a witness to be relevant, he or she must not contradict any of the following assumptions:
                              • That the president requested a foreign leader and government to initiate an investigation to benefit the president’s personal political interests,
                              • That the president sought to use the power of his office to advance his political interests, and
                              • That the president sought to obstruct, suppress, or cover up evidence of his actions.

Thus, in black and white, Schiff wrote a letter that instructed the powerless Republican minority that only evidence of the president’s guilt would be considered relevant. Does Schiff have a barn? “Maybe we could hold the trial there. I’ll sew the costumes and maybe Uncle Goober can be the judge.”

Like I've been saying all along --- it's all about politics.

Comment