Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why Did Impeachment Hearings Fail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Actually, that's not on topic, either, Charles. This is about whether the PROCESS will move forward, and how.
    And the quote was stated in that exact context.

Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, D-Calif., said the impeachment case for bribery boiled down to Trump withholding a White House visit or military aid in exchange for an announcement of investigations. Schiff said attempts to cover up the demands, along with the stonewalling congressional demands for documents and testimony, could become articles of impeachment for obstruction of Congress.

“That is beyond anything Nixon did," Schiff said
    The article from which it was taken is even called: While focus is on Ukraine, here's the evidence committees have compiled to bolster Trump impeachment case

Given the title of the thread it seems you have concluded way too early.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
      And the quote was stated in that exact context.

The article from which it was taken is even called: While focus is on Ukraine, here's the evidence committees have compiled to bolster Trump impeachment case

Given the title of the thread it seems you have concluded way too early.
      Thank you, Charles, for that very valuable and relevant contribution.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

All is well, ff - just do what I do and all will be well. Just trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

It's worked great for me for over 6 decades.
        Your advice is never wasted, CP. I also have 6 decades under my belt. Even so, every new day is different - partly due to memory loss.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by Chu kles View Post
          Yes. I think this sums it up: “That is beyond anything Nixon did." Adam Schiff

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/p...ne/3919128002/
          This is the same guy who claimed to have irrefutable evidence that Trump conspired with Russia to win the election.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            On one hand I agree with you CP. Trusting in God to help us deal with troubles is the only real solution to anxiety. And we often see God's provision and faithfulness as we trust Him.

However - there is a real problem here if the person telling the person in need to trust in God is not doing anything themselves to help resolve the problem if it is in their power to do so.

And worse

If the person telling the other fellow to trust in God is advocating FOR the source of the trouble. Is in fact, a mouthpiece for, an instrument of the trouble itself.

Consider: A Trump supporter who rallies for the policies that are separating immigrant parents and children and who tells a woman separated from her child by those same policies to 'Trust God, He'll get you through this' all the while when not in the presence of those suffering working, advocating for those same policies.

While it is true, it is just so, so wrong for the two to be juxtaposed in the same person. Like those James mentioned that see a person hungry and poor and naked and, with eyes 'full of compassion', prays for them telling them to 'be warmed and filled' and then turns away, walks on, leaving them hungry poor and naked.

Jim
            Way to undercut Cow Poke's message with your self-righteous moralizing.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              Your advice is never wasted, CP. I also have 6 decades under my belt. Even so, every new day is different - partly due to memory loss.
              Tell me you weren't flashy thingy'd!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Are you referring to Kurt Volker, who testified that he saw absolutely no indication that President Donald Trump had conditioned a White House meeting and military assistance for Ukraine on a promise from Zelensky to investigate the Bidens, but then later indicated that he was no longer as sure after hearing the rumors and gossip presented by the non-witnesses?
                Read the articles and reports of the testimony if you did not watch it..
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

OK, so maybe you think they didn't, but something happened.

Was it Schiff's handling of the thing, being too controlling? (That's my personal choice, given that the made himself judge, jury, chief prosecutor AND media liaison.

Is, as has been suggested elsewhere on this board, that Americans are just stupid?

Current polling (and that may change) suggests the Democrats actually LOST ground by having public hearings.

Didn't they put on their most vigorous prosecution?
                  Didn't they call their best witnesses?

Since impeachment is entirely a political process (in that it's run by politicians, and, in this case, is incredibly partisan) what could the Democrats have done differently to persuade America to support them in their impeachment prosecution, instead, appearing to convince Americans NOT to support impeachment?

For Bonus Points... well, let's put that in a poll...
                  Well... :-)
                  "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                    Well... :-)
                    Yeah, so there!

Comment