Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Second Amendment Sanctuary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80107819_1533235043493713_5374815481163153408_o.jpg
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
      Do localities have the right to defy state and federal laws?

Many argued that localities were overstepping their bounds when the topic was enforcement of immigration laws.

Is the second amendment the hill to stand on for Christians?
      What's your starting point? Is it a normal situation, or 'they want to destroy us'?
      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
        What's your starting point? Is it a normal situation, or 'they want to destroy us'?
        Do you think the survival of the church depends on the gun? Not sure why you asked that.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          False. That just the propaganda being picked up through your tin foil hat.
          Jim, as a lifelong gun control advocate, please stop doing this. MM is correct and we both know it. The abolitionists are masquerading as gun control advocates and undermining the legitimacy of gun control positions. If you (general) want to advocate for abolition, do it honestly and not behind more rational skirts.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Of course, why do you think we invented god in the first place?
            You didn't - He invented you.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Jim, as a lifelong gun control advocate, please stop doing this. MM is correct and we both know it. The abolitionists are masquerading as gun control advocates and undermining the legitimacy of gun control positions. If you (general) want to advocate for abolition, do it honestly and not behind more rational skirts.
              I say what I mean, Tea, not what you want to think I mean. No one is trying to abolish the right of people to own guns, which should be obvious to sensible gun owners. Even your originalist Justice Scalia understood that the right wasn't unlimited.

Comment

I say what I mean, Tea, not what you want to think I mean. No one is trying to abolish the right of people to own guns, which should be obvious to sensible gun owners. Even your originalist Justice Scalia understood that the right wasn't unlimited.
                I never disputed that you speak your mind. But the claim that there is no abolition movement is patently false

I have no issue with the Second Amendment being limited. I think the Court was stupid to incorporate it. I fully support reasonable gun control. What I disagree with is misrepresenting the positions by pretending that there's no abolition movement within the gun control lobby.

If you (general) support abolition then say so. If you hold, as I do, that there should be rational and fair limitations on gun ownership then argue those limits. But the pretense that there is no abolition movement hurts gun control.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Do you think the survival of the church depends on the gun? Not sure why you asked that.
                  Remember, Jesus told his disciples to arm themselves.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I never disputed that you speak your mind. But the claim that there is no abolition movement is patently false

I have no issue with the Second Amendment being limited. I think the Court was stupid to incorporate it. I fully support reasonable gun control. What I disagree with is misrepresenting the positions by pretending that there's no abolition movement within the gun control lobby.

If you (general) support abolition then say so. If you hold, as I do, that there should be rational and fair limitations on gun ownership then argue those limits. But the pretense that there is no abolition movement hurts gun control.
                    The idea that there is an abolition movement is not supported by an iota of evidence as there is not one person who has ever advocated for the complete abolition of guns. Glad to hear you're one of those advocating for reasonable limitations.

Comment

The idea that there is an abolition movement is not supported by an iota of evidence as there is not one person who has ever advocated for the complete abolition of guns. Glad to hear you're one of those advocating for reasonable limitations.
                      Two Democratic presidential candidates have advocated for abolition. Hardly the only ones. You're mistaken.

Yes, I've been a gun control advocate my entire life. Growing up around idiots that can't differentiate pets or ME from deer will do that.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Two Democratic presidential candidates have advocated for abolition. Hardly the only ones. You're mistaken.

Yes, I've been a gun control advocate my entire life. Growing up around idiots that can't differentiate pets or ME from deer will do that.
                        I believe "Beto's" reply to the question about whether he was in favor of gun confiscation was "Hell yes." At one point he tried to walk it back but this led to Politifact declaring that "We rate O’Rourke’s claim that he is “not talking about confiscating anybody’s guns” as False."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Do you think the survival of the church depends on the gun?
                          I meant to address the first question about localities.

Not sure why you asked that.
                          Clearly some people think 'they want to destroy us', = war situation, in which more things are permissible than normal. What starting point you have determines what conclusion you reach.
                          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Exactly. Banning guns is as stupid as banning cars. We finally agree on something.
                            If it turns out that autopiloted cars are significantly safer than people driving cars, I'd argue its a moral imperative that cars be driven on autopilot in most places (especially those with high frequencies of car accidents).

It is, however, always a balance between freedom and safety. Sometimes due to practical concerns we accept some risks. Traffic is one of the greatest examples of that. Its rather dangerous, but the practicality it lends in getting around is enough that people are willing to accept that risk.

How much risk we accept is an ongoing discussion. There's no blanket answer that can be given.

Comment

Which two would that be?
                              Now, is that any way to talk about your fellow Alabamians?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                I believe "Beto's" reply to the question about whether he was in favor of gun confiscation was "Hell yes." At one point he tried to walk it back but this led to Politifact declaring that "We rate O’Rourke’s claim that he is “not talking about confiscating anybody’s guns” as False."
                                Whether you agree with him or not he was specifically speaking about Military style assault weapons, not guns in general.

Comment