Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Derangement Is Destroying Political Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    The only thing anyone posts about here is Trump - day in and day out.

Of the 20 threads on the front page of Civics:
    - eight are explicitly about Trump and/or his impeachment[1]
    - seven are not directly about Trump, but he's mentioned in the opening post anyway[2]
    - two more aren't about Trump but he still gets frequent mentions[3], despite the supposed thread topic (Brexit / taxing churches)

Only three of the twenty threads do not quickly descend into discussions of Trump[4], and one of those is about how to deal with the whistleblower who exposed him. Even the thread about a massacre in Mexico begins with asking what Trump will do about it.

When Trump is the basis or referent for 80% of the threads here and rapidly becomes the topic of half the others, there is really no grounds for complaining about TDS. You might as well change the Civics tagline to "Donald duke" and move the thread on China to World History because that's a better fit.

[1]
    Trump loses yet another case in court.
    Trump Derangement Is Destroying Political Analysis
    Whistleblower identified
    Sondland admits quid pro quo
    SCOOP: CIA, FBI Informant Was Washington Post Source For Russiagate Smears
    Bidengate
    Take This Impeachment And Shove It...
    Trump’s Spiritual Advisor

[2]
    Election results for Virginia and Kentucky
    Blexit - Blacks Exiting the Democratic Party
    US Family Massacred In Mexico...
    Joe Walsh on Fox/Conservative talk shows
    Hillary Clinton urges Dems to 'close ranks' around
    Justice Department Distances Itself From Giuliani
    Fox News departure: Catherine Herridge joins CBS News, saying 'facts matter'

[3]
    O’Rourke: Churches Should Lose Tax-exempt Status
    Brexit vote

[4]
    ABC anchor: We had Epstein three years ago — and ABC spiked it
    In China, every day is Kristallnacht
    Whistleblower Laws
    There is, of course, a significant difference between discussing a topic that touches on the subject of Trump directly or tangentially, and obsessively denigrating and condemning the man on a daily basis the way ox does. But I'm sure you know that.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
      True. But inside Civics it's all Trump, Trump, Trump.
      My oldest daughter has come back from the culture of death - that has nothing to do with Trump, and I'm still praising God.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
        I keep telling myself you mean well.
        And I lay awake every night worrying to death about that.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          But as of late, there hasn't been much discussion there.
          The main reason I'm not active here.

I get enough of this in lawl skool.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
          "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
          Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

I reported this just as a means to get input from the powers that be -- my impression was that, in the OP, we were pretty lax in enforcement of copyright.

I may have misunderstood.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              None of you would last one minute under the sort of barrage across all the threads I am in as it has occurred today.
              wow
              Thanks for preserving that, Cow Poke.
              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                Thanks for preserving that, Cow Poke.
                This quote doesn't appear to reference anything in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                  This quote doesn't appear to reference anything in this thread.

Comment

OK, so how, exactly, do I make a "mockery" of those who oppose him? And where is this little nugget of wisdom written down.

You do raise some legitimate issues, Jim, but even a blind hog...

Absolutely false. And this kind of crap is exactly why you earn the "TDS" label. It is NOT true that I ignore "the problems" - I simply don't go wall-to-wall railing against Trump day in and day out...

In your mind, with your absolute obsession, I can see why you would believe that.

I'm going to be polite, and not accuse you of being a liar, because I believe that in your obsession with Trump, you actually believe that in your head.

Jim, at this point, you're hardly the one to determine what is "objective".

Here are some things for you to totally ignore about I believe....
                    • Trump could not have become President without God allowing it. God is sovereign.
                    • Am I saying God "selected" Trump? Absolutely no way.
                    • It is a Biblical mandate for me to pray for those in authority over us -- I do, every day, often more than a couple times a day.
                    • There is an incredible unified effort among the liberals to get rid of Trump - I'm anxious for this to get into the open - open hearings, public testimony - and for the process to play out. They don't need me spending every waking moment repeating every bit of gossip, rumor, innuendo, accusation.... it's all out there, Jim.

So, look what's happening --- because I'm not as obsessed with Trump as you are, I'm a bad guy.

That's truly sad.
                    The fact that you always defend Trump, other than saying you think he's a jackass, that you always post links either supporting Trump or denigrating those supporting the allegations against him, makes the above post moot. You have always defended Trump in this way and yet continue to deny support for Trump. We're just wondering why?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      The fact that you always defend Trump, other than saying you think he's a jackass, that you always post links either supporting Trump or denigrating those supporting the allegations against him, makes the above post moot. You have always defended Trump in this way and yet continue to deny support for Trump. We're just wondering why?
                      Cool.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
                        The main reason I'm not active here.

I get enough of this in lawl skool.
                        Apparently not quite enough.

Comment

Cool.
                          Actually that was rhetorical, CP. We're not really wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            Actually that was rhetorical, CP. We're not really wondering.
                            Fabulous.

Comment

Now, could somebody please take a deep breath and point out anything in the article that is not true?
                              I can.

Political analysis as a media sport has been a train wreck since Buckley left the air (I was still a moderate back then) and it wasn't far from a wreck then. You can't destroy something that had long since been flattened.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                Trump's presidency is a field rich for debate, but you can't have a rational debate with someone who continually screams, "Orange man bad!"
                                That would be an improvement on his usual arguments about Trump...
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment