Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Derangement Is Destroying Political Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Might have more trouble with 703 - need for direct knowledge.
    703 comes up as expert witness, which I also think most could qualify as, and is an exception to 602 - the need for direct knowledge.

Even so, they have direct knowledge of what they themselves have experienced. Direct knowledge refers to any knowledge that is relevant to the proceedings. Most witnesses won't have direct knowledge of the actual charge but had witnessed something that could assist in determining the charge.

A lot of murders apparently don't have any eye witnesses to the actual killing but someone may have seen the suspect purchasing a similar weapon used in the murder, someone may have seen the suspect drag a large bag into his car, someone may have seen the suspect burning his clothes in the backyard etc.

None of them have direct knowledge of the actual killing but provide a piece of the puzzle to put together a sequence of events for the jury to decide whether, that given all the known circumstances, the suspect is guilty or not.

And while you disagree, I personally think the democrats have done a pretty good job in putting together their case. I think the witnesses are very credible and most importantly their statements and recollections of events flow remarkably well across so many witnesses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Ideally, any impeachment proceeding should be able to transfer from Congress directly to a civil court.
      And if this were a civil court the trial and conviction of Trump would take about 10 minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        And if this were a civil court the trial and conviction of Trump would take about 10 minutes.
        Point of order, Mister Attorney! If Trump is a criminal, why would he be tried in a civil court?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
          703 comes up as expert witness, which I also think most could qualify as, and is an exception to 602 - the need for direct knowledge.

Even so, they have direct knowledge of what they themselves have experienced. Direct knowledge refers to any knowledge that is relevant to the proceedings. Most witnesses won't have direct knowledge of the actual charge but had witnessed something that could assist in determining the charge.

A lot of murders apparently don't have any eye witnesses to the actual killing but someone may have seen the suspect purchasing a similar weapon used in the murder, someone may have seen the suspect drag a large bag into his car, someone may have seen the suspect burning his clothes in the backyard etc.

None of them have direct knowledge of the actual killing but provide a piece of the puzzle to put together a sequence of events for the jury to decide whether, that given all the known circumstances, the suspect is guilty or not.

And while you disagree, I personally think the democrats have done a pretty good job in putting together their case. I think the witnesses are very credible and most importantly their statements and recollections of events flow remarkably well across so many witnesses.
          Er, virtually none (none I see any possibility of, anyway) of these witnesses could testify as experts because they are supposed to be material witnesses. Maybe Yovanovitch - but that would mean bringing in the Bidens because her expertise is Ukraine (even then, I don't see her being allowed as an expert).

My reading of 702 doesn't seem to support any (except as above) as expert witnesses. I don't think this is allowed for material witnesses anyway - every lawyer in the country would be using it to get in opinion.

My problem with the case is the part that is coherent isn't describing either illegal activity or proving abuse of power. There's no constitutional provision for a Cabinet - it serves totally at the President's pleasure. We've codified a lot over two hundred and nearly fifty years in administration but most of that is not directly binding on the President - most not even being law. Translation: Trump can send whoever the heck he wants to talk to other countries and he made a mistake not resetting the appointees.

Intent: was Trump after his own political interest or was he pursuing American interests? If both, not an abuse of power - aligned interests don't negate the President's power to direct foreign policy.

Motive: was Trump out to get Joe Biden as a political rival? If so it hasn't been shown and Trump would have been a total idiot - Biden posed no threat. Was Trump out to get Joe Biden for corruption in the 2016 election? Plausible but still not shown - and neither an abuse of power nor illegal.

So, where's the actual beef?
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            Motive: was Trump out to get Joe Biden as a political rival? If so it hasn't been shown and Trump would have been a total idiot - Biden posed no threat. Was Trump out to get Joe Biden for corruption in the 2016 election? Plausible but still not shown - and neither an abuse of power nor illegal.

So, where's the actual beef?
            It's not all that unusual for a POTUS' interests on behalf of the nation line up with his own personal desires. He/She is, after all, in charge of foreign policy - not the bureaucrats who think they're in charge.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
              If this were a civil court, almost none of the "witnesses" would have been allowed to testify.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                If this were a civil court, almost none of the "witnesses" would have been allowed to testify.
                The phrase "Objection, your honor, hearsay" would be repeated over and over, and be answered with "sustained".

Comment