Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Last post on Civics

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Last post on Civics

    Darth Ex and Epoetker will not be allowed to post in this thread. I expect the mods to delete their posts as they appear.

    This post is written as a benefit to the people I offended and attacked during my rant yesterday.

    I've always known that the atmosphere up in Civics gets a little caustic at times, and I decided to participate in it for a spell. I think its become a terrible echo chamber for Christian conservatives, and could do with a few questions from time to time from someone who doesn't believe that a world with universal healthcare is the worst thing in the world. I live in a country with that perspective.

    However yesterday I saw a couple of things that upset me emotionally. I used to be transsexual, and was on a course to go through all the steps of "sexual reassignment". Thankfully Christ stepped back in, but it leaves me fairly sensitive to their issues. Seer referred to someone who wanted a hormone replacement therapy as an "it". While he did that simple for sake of rhetoric, and thankfully got soundly criticised, it upset me a lot and put me into the red corner. It was more than seer's post that accomplished this though, a "supportive" friend had a big hand in bringing back all the things I thought I had gotten over. I'm still terrible gender dysphoric and that's something I have to deal with.

    So I head into the Barry Laughs At Everyone But Himself, first of all because it was gonna be a dumb conservative backslapping session of people congratulating each other for something they wouldn't mind for a second seeing in a conservative politic. Something I was tired of seeing, so I let off my mind about how dumb birtherism was and is, and Darth Ex went into birther mode, defending that its plausible with all the vagueness of a troll.

    I said somethings I regret. Not the stuff to and about Darth Ex, I think that's spot on. However for the fact that I wasn't in a sound state of mind I take back everything I said about One Bad Pig, and I'll dial down the statement about the majority of conservatives here being anti-[insert positive quality].

    There's a lot of filth on this part of the forum, much of it goes completely unchallenged. A lot of unstated assumptions that are taken as fact and it seems to be implicitly implied that anything left of Reagan is commie. I have a lot of questions to ask conservatives, but I find I'm not geared for it. Its not healthy for me to post here, and if posting here has a high likelihood of me going into an embarrassing rant mode, then I'd rather not.

    See you in the other forums where something more real than politics is being discussed.

    *cracks open Scholastic Metaphysics by Ed Feser*

  • #2
    Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    I've always known that the atmosphere up in Civics gets a little caustic at times, and I decided to participate in it for a spell. I think its become a terrible echo chamber for Christian conservatives, and could do with a few questions from time to time from someone who doesn't believe that a world with universal healthcare is the worst thing in the world...There's a lot of filth on this part of the forum, much of it goes completely unchallenged.


    However yesterday I saw a couple of things that upset me emotionally.
    This is where you erred. Speaking as someone who has challenged some of the various status quos here in Civics in some small ways, you messed up big time here. Head in emotionally unstable, and you'll end up discrediting yourself, as you've observed.

    I have a lot of questions to ask conservatives, but I find I'm not geared for it. Its not healthy for me to post here, and if posting here has a high likelihood of me going into an embarrassing rant mode, then I'd rather not.
    I think that if you can keep your emotions on an even keel, it'll be okay. But for the moment, of course, you should stay away.
    Last edited by Paprika; 05-15-2014, 03:32 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hey Leon,

      We all have our bad days. And to be honest, I generally avoid civics as it's all generally American politics which are usually of little interest to me.

      I'm praying for you brother.
      "If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
      -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

      "...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

      Comment


      • #4
        You still haven't given me your testimony

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          Darth Ex and Epoetker will not be allowed to post in this thread. I expect the mods to delete their posts as they appear.

          This post is written as a benefit to the people I offended and attacked during my rant yesterday.

          I've always known that the atmosphere up in Civics gets a little caustic at times, and I decided to participate in it for a spell. I think its become a terrible echo chamber for Christian conservatives, and could do with a few questions from time to time from someone who doesn't believe that a world with universal healthcare is the worst thing in the world. I live in a country with that perspective.

          However yesterday I saw a couple of things that upset me emotionally. I used to be transsexual, and was on a course to go through all the steps of "sexual reassignment". Thankfully Christ stepped back in, but it leaves me fairly sensitive to their issues. Seer referred to someone who wanted a hormone replacement therapy as an "it". While he did that simple for sake of rhetoric, and thankfully got soundly criticised, it upset me a lot and put me into the red corner. It was more than seer's post that accomplished this though, a "supportive" friend had a big hand in bringing back all the things I thought I had gotten over. I'm still terrible gender dysphoric and that's something I have to deal with.

          So I head into the Barry Laughs At Everyone But Himself, first of all because it was gonna be a dumb conservative backslapping session of people congratulating each other for something they wouldn't mind for a second seeing in a conservative politic. Something I was tired of seeing, so I let off my mind about how dumb birtherism was and is, and Darth Ex went into birther mode, defending that its plausible with all the vagueness of a troll.

          I said somethings I regret. Not the stuff to and about Darth Ex, I think that's spot on. However for the fact that I wasn't in a sound state of mind I take back everything I said about One Bad Pig, and I'll dial down the statement about the majority of conservatives here being anti-[insert positive quality].

          There's a lot of filth on this part of the forum, much of it goes completely unchallenged. A lot of unstated assumptions that are taken as fact and it seems to be implicitly implied that anything left of Reagan is commie. I have a lot of questions to ask conservatives, but I find I'm not geared for it. Its not healthy for me to post here, and if posting here has a high likelihood of me going into an embarrassing rant mode, then I'd rather not.

          See you in the other forums where something more real than politics is being discussed.

          *cracks open Scholastic Metaphysics by Ed Feser*
          Like I told you in private Leonhard, sorry for that offhanded remark. I didn't understand your struggle, and you know I have grown fond of you over our time here even when you chastise me concerning the laws of logic or grammar. Peace brother...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            I said somethings I regret. . . . However for the fact that I wasn't in a sound state of mind I take back everything I said about One Bad Pig, and I'll dial down the statement about the majority of conservatives here being anti-[insert positive quality].
            Thanks, Leonhard. It's all too easy to spout off in the heat of the moment, and not so easy to back off once words are delivered. I'll pray that you attain the self-control it takes to avoid impassioned topics.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Thanks, Leonhard. It's all too easy to spout off in the heat of the moment, and not so easy to back off once words are delivered. I'll pray that you attain the self-control it takes to avoid impassioned topics.

              Why, I have never (in the last five minutes) spouted off in the heat of the moment (it's kinda chilly here, actually). I have no idea what you are talking about...







              Sorry, it was waaaaay too serious in here!

              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


              "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

              My Personal Blog

              My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

              Comment


              • #8
                It bugs me, too, that Civics is so nasty. I'm a nice guy at heart, and just want to get along with people (I consider my extreme tendency for this a personality fault). Something keeps me checking the section, though. I really oughtta quit that.
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

                Comment

                Related Threads

                Collapse

                Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by LiconaFan97, Yesterday, 04:56 PM
                17 responses
                92 views
                0 likes
                Last Post shunyadragon  
                Started by Juvenal, Yesterday, 11:08 AM
                9 responses
                72 views
                0 likes
                Last Post Stoic
                by Stoic
                 
                Started by Hypatia_Alexandria, Yesterday, 08:52 AM
                6 responses
                61 views
                0 likes
                Last Post rogue06
                by rogue06
                 
                Started by Ronson, 10-22-2020, 10:59 PM
                11 responses
                331 views
                0 likes
                Last Post rogue06
                by rogue06
                 
                Started by seer, 10-22-2020, 02:50 PM
                24 responses
                159 views
                0 likes
                Last Post Ronson
                by Ronson
                 
                Working...
                X