Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sondland admits quid pro quo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Crimes, please.

Two words - Clinton Foundation.
    Two more words - that does not excuse Trump, as you well know.

Obstruction is a crime. I understand that Trump met all the criteria in five cases.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      There are several instances of obstruction. I will get a list. While you are waiting:
      A New York judge.... I'm SHOCKED!!!!
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        They obviously did that to a naive person without a lawyer present. Cohen is a lawyer himself, and was also represented by a team of lawyers.
        It really isn't all that uncommon for a prosecutor to tell a defendant that if they cooperate that they'll receive leniency in return and some of the time that has included confessing to crimes that they didn't commit. Sometimes this is done to clear up some old unsolved cases but upon occasion they do it because that confession implicates someone else who is the person that the prosecutor is more interested in. In the latter this is usually seen in cases involving organized crime groups or members of a drug cartel.

Another reason someone might confess to a crime is to save someone else. It is not uncommon, especially when dealing with drug dealers and traffickers to threaten them with prosecuting their spouse as well and telling them that with both parents in jail that their kids will end up in foster care.

If folks realized just how dirty some prosecutors "play" they would be mortified.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

There are several instances of obstruction. I will get a list. While you are waiting:
          Is there a reason that you didn't include a link with this quote?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            A New York judge.... I'm SHOCKED!!!!
            You should be. But, love Trump, love his crimes. He will smooth your conscience with a tweet.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Rats, I wanted you to say "whataboutism".

Obstruction is a crime. I understand that Trump met all the criteria in five cases.
              Linkies?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't think you understand what the bolded part means

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  It really isn't all that uncommon for a prosecutor to tell a defendant that if they cooperate that they'll receive leniency in return and some of the time that has included confessing to crimes that they didn't commit. Sometimes this is done to clear up some old unsolved cases but upon occasion they do it because that confession implicates someone else who is the person that the prosecutor is more interested in. In the latter this is usually seen in cases involving organized crime groups or members of a drug cartel.

Another reason someone might confess to a crime is to save someone else. It is not uncommon, especially when dealing with drug dealers and traffickers to threaten them with prosecuting their spouse as well and telling them that with both parents in jail that their kids will end up in foster care.

If folks realized just how dirty some prosecutors "play" they would be mortified.
                  Just about every crime show on TV will include an example.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    I don't think you understand what the bolded part means
                    He was just practicing the principle of "underpromise - overdeliver".

Comment

• [QUOTE=rogue06;683016]Is there a reason that you didn't include a link with this quote?
                      Sorry.
                      [/Judge orders Trump to pay $2m for misusing Trump Foundation funds https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50338231

Comment

He was just practicing the principle of "underpromise - overdeliver".
                        The two of us could rule the world, CP.

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                          Mueller catalogued his crimes for posterity. Not enough Americans care to read the evidence. It will make a good movie but it might not have a satisfying ending; the crook walks free.
                          Not even Mueller was confident enough in the findings of his own investigation to state plainly that the president committed a crime or to recommend indictment.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Not even Mueller was confident enough in the findings of his own investigation to state plainly that the president committed a crime or to recommend indictment.
                            Rightly or wrongly, Mueller chose leave it to Congress. They, so far, have failed to do their duty; for political reasons.

Why is it that Trump and Barr are so keen to undermine Mueller, if there are no crimes?

Comment

Hasn't Pelosi given the green light for impeachment?
                              Pelosi is being jerked all over the map. Her moderates are going to be livid if they don't see positive numbers in their districts soon. Her leftists aren't going to give up their favorite bone. And Schiff isn't delivering the goods Pelosi needs. Her best bet is to declare victory, end the mess and retire.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

As this article points out, Jim, it happens far more than you'd imagine...

Criminally Yours: Lying To Get To The Truth

Why would someone ever admit to a crime he didn't commit? How could anyone be so naive or stupid? But not only does it happen, it happens more frequently than you would imagine. Why?

A hot topic in criminal law is “false confessions.” Why would someone ever admit to a crime he didn’t commit? How could anyone be so naive or stupid?

But not only does it happen, it happens more frequently than you would imagine. Why?

In large part because it’s legal for police to tell suspects the boldest lies in order to wrangle a confession from them. Among the most common lies are:

– “We’ve got you on video doing the crime, so you might as well admit it.”

– “This is only a small case, just say you did it and you’ll get a drug program.”

and...

The only way psychological gamesmanship might be disapproved by the court is if it’s so egregious as to offend “the notion of fundamental fairness.” But boy, is that a big hurdle.

Take the case of Matthew Thomas. Police lied to him in a manner so egregious, even John McCain would have cracked. Thomas was accused of killing his four-month-old son. After being interrogated for more than nine hours, he was told that if he didn’t admit to doing the crime, his wife would be arrested for it and dragged from the baby’s hospital bedside because “one of them had to have done it.” They told him the baby was still alive, and that his information would save the child’s life. Another lie — the baby was already dead. They told him they were sure it was an accident, and if he just admitted it, he could go home. Right.

The trial judge found that the confession was not only voluntary, but that defense counsel had no right to put on an expert in police interrogation techniques to speak about the phenomenon of false confessions.

Police fed Thomas information about how they believed the death occurred then prodded him to parrot it back.

I was taught in basic police school this "it's ok to lie to get a confession" -- I never felt comfortable with that, but, yeah - it happens FAR more than you'd ever imagine.
                                Which is why you don't talk to the cops; you talk to your lawyer.

And yes, it's a stupid way to run a railroad...
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment