Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump loses yet another case in court.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    I’ve been listening to ‘Trumpcast’ with a growing sense of foreboding.

https://slate.com/podcasts/trumpcast...r-court-judges
    On purpose?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      On purpose?
      Of course. I can recommend it to you. Rachel is my first love but Virginia is a close second.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Of course. I can recommend it to you. Rachel is my first love but Virginia is a close second.
        I'll add it to my list of stuff I'll probably never get around to reading / listening to.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'll add it to my list of stuff I'll probably never get around to reading / listening to.
          Good for you. I listen to two or three podcasts every day, making breakfast, in the shower, after supper and afore bed. These are unusual times and we all need the best information we can find.

I need to read up on Mark Joseph Stern.
          Last edited by firstfloor; 11-05-2019, 05:41 PM.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Trump is packing the lower courts with reactionary judges. Because they are appointed for life, the only way to get rid of them is to kill them. That’s just the rules but it seems a little extreme.
            Even if we are only counting what other people can do (i.e. not counting resignation, as that's the personal decision of the judge), it is possible to impeach any federal judge. Granted, it's a difficult process and occurs very rarely, but it's incorrect to claim the only way to get rid of them is to kill them.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              The previous Administration obstructed Congress so blatantly that the Attorney General was held in contempt of Congress for the first time ever where even 17 Democrats voted to support the measure. IIRC, the Obama Administration routinely ignored subpoenas for documents and often didn't even bother offering an excuse like Executive Privilege for their refusal. They just simply ignored the requests.
              So should everyone going forward just be content with using the 'whataboutism' defense? Is your argument that everyone should get away with something if someone else in the past has gotten away with it?

I'm not being flippant and this isn't a matter of whats right or wrong but whats acceptable or unacceptable in the publics perception. It seems like the public accepted that those in positions of power would abuse it to some extent. Since the support for impeachment is now the majority position amongst the public it would indicate that its no longer acceptable. The alternative would be to let every future president get away with anything previous presidents had done.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                Since the support for impeachment is now the majority position amongst the public...
                Depends on what poll you're looking at; and what segment of the population is being polled.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Depends on what poll you're looking at; and what segment of the population is being polled.
                  True; if they polled just you, 100% would support Trump.
                  That would be a badly designed survey, but it might be worth a headline on Fox News.
                  Last edited by firstfloor; 11-06-2019, 01:24 AM.

Comment

“From the moment I picked up your book until I put it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it.”

Groucho Marx
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                      So should everyone going forward just be content with using the 'whataboutism' defense? Is your argument that everyone should get away with something if someone else in the past has gotten away with it?

I'm not being flippant and this isn't a matter of whats right or wrong but whats acceptable or unacceptable in the publics perception. It seems like the public accepted that those in positions of power would abuse it to some extent. Since the support for impeachment is now the majority position amongst the public it would indicate that its no longer acceptable. The alternative would be to let every future president get away with anything previous presidents had done.
                      I think the general idea is the media spent years asleep at the wheel, not caring about what was going on under Obama, burying stories that made their chosen ones look bad, only to wake up after the 2016 election and suddenly decided things they ignored were suddenly enemies at the gates. We look at major stories that have dropped, the Epstein case, the Weinstein case, the Lauar case, etc and we find a history of media cover ups and lies. The media only cares because their chosen one, didn’t win.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                        I think the general idea is the media spent years asleep at the wheel, not caring about what was going on under Obama, burying stories that made their chosen ones look bad, only to wake up after the 2016 election and suddenly decided things they ignored were suddenly enemies at the gates. We look at major stories that have dropped, the Epstein case, the Weinstein case, the Lauar case, etc and we find a history of media cover ups and lies. The media only cares because their chosen one, didn’t win.
                        I think it's worse than that. They definitely covered up the truth when Obama was in the White House, but to suggest they are reporting the straight facts now would be naive considering the prevalence of fake news that has erupted since at least 2016.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Argued Before: KATZMANN, Chief Judge, CHIN and DRONEY, Circuit Judges.

Robert Katzmann Appointed by William J. Clinton
                          Denny Chin Appointed by Barack Obama
                          Christopher Droney Appointed by Barack Obama

Trump never stood a chance against 3 liberal justices...
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            Argued Before: KATZMANN, Chief Judge, CHIN and DRONEY, Circuit Judges.

Robert Katzmann Appointed by William J. Clinton
                            Denny Chin Appointed by Barack Obama
                            Christopher Droney Appointed by Barack Obama

Trump never stood a chance against 3 liberal justices...
                            Really, so he'll have no problem in the SCOTUS then, right?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              Really, so he'll have no problem in the SCOTUS then, right?
                              Probably not since there is no mandate for anyone to release their taxes. Oh, the Stygian Witches on the SCOTUS will no doubt naturally vote against him, but he will win nonetheless.
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                                Probably not since there is no mandate for anyone to release their taxes. Oh, the Stygian Witches on the SCOTUS will no doubt naturally vote against him, but he will win nonetheless.
                                No mandate? What are you talking about? It has nothing to do with a mandate, it has to do with being investigated for the obvious campaign finance fraud he was involved in. Are you trying to suggest that no ones taxes can ever be investigated in a criminal case?

Comment