Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Whistleblower identified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    You'd have only done it once - and I doubt calling him mister would have set him off. He was a great teacher - rarely angry - but you didn't want an up close look at his bad side.

Edit: I should add that Col. Kirkpatrick was one of my teachers that I respected the most - and that wasn't because of his service (although I think that made him an even better teacher).
    I had a history teacher who was a retired Marine major and former drill instructor. His eyes burned with hot rage when he was angry (if you've ever seen R. Lee Ermy's mean face, it was a lot like that), and even he didn't scare me. If you hadn't guessed, I was equal parts defiant and stupid in high school.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      The context was perfectly clear without your complaint, Jim.

Are you seriously trying to spin a complaint about distortion as sarcasm?
      Exactly the same sort of sarcasm as MMs reply to me.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I had a history teacher who was a retired Marine major and former drill instructor. His eyes burned with hot rage when he was angry (if you've ever seen R. Lee Ermy's mean face, it was a lot like that), and even he didn't scare me. If you hadn't guessed, I was equal parts defiant and stupid in high school.
        I just know our worst troublemakers didn't mess with Col. Kirkpatrick more than once.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Provide a direct quote from Morrison's testimony, if you please.

Meanwhile, I'll just leave this here...

Former senior National Security Council (NSC) official Tim Morrison confirmed Tuesday afternoon that he did not think President Donald Trump’s phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky in July was illegal.

Morrison was testifying alongside former special envoy to Ukraine Kurt Volker in the fourth public hearing before the House Intelligence Committee in the ongoing impeachment inquiry. Both witnesses had already given closed-door depositions; their testimony had been so favorable to the president that Republicans asked committee chairman Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) to invite them back. Though Schiff could have vetoed the request, the fact that he himself had called them in for earlier testimony made that politically difficult, and so he acceded to the GOP’s request.

When Democratic counsel Daniel Goldman asked Morrison, “you indicated in your opening statement or at least from your deposition that you went to [NSC counsel] Mr. [John] Eisenberg out of concern over the potential political fallout if the call record became public and not because you thought it was illegal,” Morrison replied: “Correct.”

Goldman then asked whether “asking a foreign government to investigate a domestic political rival is inappropriate.” Morrison deflected the question somewhat, saying it was not recommended.

(In his deposition, Morrison testified — much to Schiff’s apparent annoyance — that he did not even interpret the Ukraine call as particularly political.)

Morrison also confirmed that the transcript of the Ukraine call had been placed on a more secure server by mistake — not because of an attempted cover-up.

Asked by Republicans whether either of them had seen anything resembling bribery or extortion, both said no.

Morrison also added, in response to Republican counsel Stephen Castor, later that he had no concerns about the call.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...s-not-illegal/

And this...

Morrison testified there was no bribery tied to military aid with Ukraine, the basis for which the Democratic impeachment efforts are built upon.

“Did anyone ever ask you to bribe or extort anyone at any time during your time in the White House?” asked ranking Republican Rep. Devin Nunes of California.

“No,” said Morrison.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/11/19...r-impeachment/

And one more...

“I wanted to start between the July 25 call between President Trump and President Zelensky,” Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-NY) began. “Mr. Morrison, you were on that call and there was no mention of withholding aid on the call, correct?”

“That is correct, Congresswoman,” Morrison responded.

“And there was no quid pro quo, correct?” Stefanik asked.

“Correct,” Morrison responded.

“No bribery?” Stefanik responded.

“No extortion?” Stefanik asked.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/11/19...r-impeachment/

I'm not sure what fake news you've been reading, Jimmy, but your claim that "Morrison ... was forced to admit to the Presidents quid pro quo/bribery/extortion demand" appears to be false.
          Fake news? Is that what you call watching the hearings and the testimony itself? Apparently you should try it, you might learn the difference between fake and real news.

http://apnews.com/e6b5c1b4adbc40dda0bb4f7fba8bae1d

Morrison, along with Taylor, was told by Sondland on September 1 of the quid pro quo, i.e. an exchange of the military aid for investigations into the Bidens and Burisma. Sondland admitted to the quid pro quo himself, in his own testimony on Wednesday.

Comment

Just in High School?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              Exactly the same sort of sarcasm as MMs reply to me.
              Really simple yes or no question - do you honestly believe that Schiff does not know who the alleged whistle blower is?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Really simple yes or no question - do you honestly believe that Schiff does not know who the alleged whistle blower is?
                Does it matter given that the whistle-blower's complaints have been corroborated by numerous people. Besides he/she is protected by the Whistleblower Protection Act.
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Just in High School?

I've gotten a little better.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                    Fake news? Is that what you call watching the hearings and the testimony itself? Apparently you should try it, you might learn the difference between fake and real news.

http://apnews.com/e6b5c1b4adbc40dda0bb4f7fba8bae1d

Morrison, along with Taylor, was told by Sondland on September 1 of the quid pro quo, i.e. an exchange of the military aid for investigations into the Bidens and Burisma. Sondland admitted to the quid pro quo himself, in his own testimony on Wednesday.
                    Sondland testified under oath that he was acting on his own presumption and not based on anything he had been told, and he testified that the President told him directly and clearly that he didn't want a quid pro quo. Morrison also testified under oath that he knew of no quid pro quo, bribery, or extortion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      Unless you mention it on introduction - we had an algebra teacher who went by his rank instead of mister. He told us on Day One and we called him Colonel Kirkpatrick ever since - no one thought he was being a jerk.

You look like a jerk correcting every little mistake or every person you talk to, however.
                      Was he a Marine (there’s no such thing as a former Marine, simply a Marine that’s no longer in the corps)? That’s the difference between the Air Force and the other branches. The Air Force is like being part of a big corporation, the Army and Navy is ‘true military’, and the Marines are sort of like a cult group.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Doesn't matter. But it is unlikely he does not know.

Nevertheless, I believe he has a responsibility, if he knows, to keep the identity secret, and thus not to confirm any rumors about the identity and to prevent any lines of questioning that might otherwise reveal that identity. And so any actions or comments that are being criticized here surrounding that issue and Schiff are related to him honoring his responsibility to do so.
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          Does it matter given that the whistle-blower's complaints have been corroborated by numerous people. Besides he/she is protected by the Whistleblower Protection Act.
                          Exactly. Who the whistle blower is is in fact irrelevant since AFAIK everything reported in the complaint has been dealt with by eyewitness testimony in one form or another. The only possible information that the whistle blower might have would be the names of other witnesses not yet interviewed, or if he himself had firsthand knowledge beyond anything heard thus far.

And much more to the point: Outing him or her undermines the concept of whistle blower protection and reduces the probability inappropriate or illegal actions by people in power will be reported in the future.

Those here that want him outed could care less about that sort of protection either for ignorance or because they want yet another target to demean.

But outing him or her would be a very bad idea.
                          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 11-22-2019, 07:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                            ...the whistle-blower's complaints have been corroborated by numerous people.
                            Fake news. Eric Ciaramella claimed that Trump repeatedly mentioned Biden in his phone call with President Zelensky and that he exerted undue pressure on the Ukrainian government to undertake investigations with the sole aim of benefiting his reelection campaign. Not only does the official White House transcript of the phone call prove these accusations false, but no witness has offered any firsthand testimony or other corroborating evidence that Ciaramella's accusations are true.

Moderator Notice

Since the identity of the alleged whistle blower has not been officially revealed as of this date and time, it is the position of the owners and staff of this board that his or her identity not be stated as fact. Any statement revealing his/her identity is solely the responsibility of the poster making such claim or reference.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                            Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Psychotherapy Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Cow Poke; 11-23-2019, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              Doesn't matter. But it is unlikely he does not know.
                              Most of Washington knows by now, but I don't think there's any reason Schiff should be singled out in this. There's no good reason to believe he knows more than Ratcliffe. A whistleblower looking for advice on how to refer a complaint to congress is going to talk to staff, not the congressperson. There's no reason to think the whistleblower would volunteer any details, either, and especially not if they're part of the IC.

The conspiracy theorists aren't saying Schiff knows who the whistleblower is, anymore, anyway. They're saying Schiff coached him on what to put in his complaint. On a dime, Trump's defenders have turned from saying they don't want to hear from the whistleblower, because all he's got is hearsay, to demanding to hear from him, because he's actually Schiff, or something else just as poorly considered.

Let's be at least this honest. They don't want to hear from the whistleblower.

They want to paint a target on his back.

They want to make him pay.

Comment

Fake news. -- claimed that Trump repeatedly mentioned Biden in his phone call with President Zelensky and that he exerted undue pressure on the Ukrainian government to undertake investigations with the sole aim of benefiting his reelection campaign. Not only does the official White House transcript of the phone call prove these accusations false, but no witness has offered any firsthand testimony or other corroborating evidence that -- accusations are true.
                                Like I said. You have no respect for the concept of protecting a whistle blower. Which ultimately, I'm sad to say, means you have more empathy for the criminal than you do commitment to truth or justice.

By the way - aside from the fact it is illegal to out a whistle blower and you are now participating in an illegal act - sticking someone's name in a comment like this based on rumor could well be implicating a person not involved. You should be ashamed of yourself on both counts ... and I'm wondering if there are any TWEB rules about participating in illegal acts? Would it not be in TWEB's best interest not to be bantering about names that could potentially be illegal to communicate? After all, even Fox news warned its reporters about such things.
                                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 11-22-2019, 07:46 AM.

Comment