Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Justice Department Distances Itself From Giuliani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justice Department Distances Itself From Giuliani

Justice Department Distances Itself From Giuliani
    In an unusual statement, a spokesman said department officials would not have met with President Trump’s personal lawyer had they known his associates were under investigation.

By Katie Benner
    Oct. 20, 2019
    The Justice Department distanced itself on Sunday from Rudolph W. Giuliani, President Trump’s personal lawyer, declaring that department officials would not have met with Mr. Giuliani to discuss one of his clients had they known that federal prosecutors in New York were investigating two of his associates.

SDNY isn't confirming or denying widely reported claims that Giuliani is under investigation, but ...
    “This is an incredibly unusual statement from the Justice Department, which does not comment on ongoing investigations or even acknowledge them, and it’s the kind of statement that would give clients pause about who is representing them,” said Joyce Vance, a former federal prosecutor.

In other reporting, Giuliani hired Jon Sales, a Watergate prosecutor, at the beginning of the month, but since October 15, he is a lawyer representing himself.

Further from the Times story:
    Prosecutors in Manhattan informed Attorney General William P. Barr about the investigation of Mr. Parnas and Mr. Fruman soon after he was confirmed in February, according to a Justice Department official. They were required to do so under the department’s rule that requires prosecutors to notify the attorney general of any cases that could generate national news media or congressional attention.

That puts all of Giuliani's Ukrainian work looking for dirt on Biden under a cloud. At this point, it appears a foregone conclusion Giuliani's search for Ukrainian corruption was itself corrupt:

Fourth defendant in Giuliani associates’ case arrested at New York airport
    By Devlin Barrett
    Oct. 16, 2019 at 5:42 p.m. EDT
    David Correia, the fourth defendant in a campaign finance case involving business associates of President Trump’s personal lawyer Rudolph W. Giuliani, was arrested Wednesday morning at a New York City airport, officials said.

Correia has been charged with participating in a scheme to use foreign money to build political support for a fledgling recreational marijuana business in Nevada and other states, according to an indictment unsealed last week that also charged Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman with conspiracy and making false statements to campaign finance regulators.

The other defendants were quickly arrested by the FBI, but Correia had been traveling in the Middle East and returned to the United States to surrender to authorities at John F. Kennedy International Airport.

Correia made a brief court appearance Wednesday, where a judge ordered him released on $250,000 bond. He and the other person charged in the case, Andrey Kukushkin, are due back in court Thursday.

This will likely dovetail into the impeachment inquiry, so it was time for its own thread.

Trump's last fixer turned on him.

Giuliani is out there spreading the truth about Quid Pro Joe and his son Hunter, and all of a sudden, Giuliani's associates find themselves under investigation. And by the corrupt Southern District of New York, no less.

What a coincidence! No, really.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Giuliani is out there spreading the truth about Quid Pro Joe and his son Hunter, and all of a sudden, Giuliani's associates find themselves under investigation. And by the corrupt Southern District of New York, no less.

Comment

Previously posted:
        Prosecutors in Manhattan informed Attorney General William P. Barr about the investigation of Mr. Parnas and Mr. Fruman soon after he was confirmed in February ...

That says the investigation into Parnas and Fruman began before Barr was appointed, and likely before they teamed up with Giuliani.

10/16/2019 3:38PM
        Giuliani’s Indicted Associates: What We Know

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that money came from an unnamed Russian businessman, that Volker's testimony places Parnas in a meeting with Giuliani with the Justice Department discussing the investigation into Biden, and that they were behind the campaign, with Giuliani, to remove our Ukrainian ambassador, Yovanovich.

Trump has been at pains to distance himself from Parnas and Fruman, but his statements to date have not weathered investigation.

Two Giuliani Associates Who Helped Him on Ukraine Charged With Campaign-Finance Violations
        By Aruna Viswanatha, Rebecca Ballhaus, Sadie Gurman and Byron Tau
        Updated Oct. 10, 2019 11:24 pm ET
        WASHINGTON—Two donors to a pro- Trump fundraising committee who helped Rudy Giuliani’s efforts to investigate Democrat Joe Biden were arrested late Wednesday on criminal charges stemming from their alleged efforts to funnel foreign money into U.S. elections and influence U.S. politics on behalf of at least one unnamed Ukrainian politician.

[...]

Messrs. Parnas and Fruman have assisted Mr. Giuliani’s effort to investigate Mr. Biden’s son that is now at the center of an impeachment inquiry being conducted by House Democrats.

“I don’t know those gentlemen,” Mr. Trump said Thursday when asked about the new charges, adding he hadn’t discussed them with Mr. Giuliani, a former New York City mayor who is serving as Mr. Trump’s private lawyer.

However, Messrs. Parnas and Fruman had dinner with Mr. Trump at the White House in early May 2018, shortly before they donated to the pro-Trump super PAC, according to since-deleted Facebook posts captured in a report published by the Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project, a nonprofit U.S.-based media organization.

Comment

- I love it -

Would you like some pristine beachfront property in Arizona?
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            - I love it -

Would you like some pristine beachfront property in Arizona?
            Hey, man, with the global warming predictions being bandied about, Arizona will be prime beachfront property within the next decade!

By the way, have you guys been paying attention to Barr and Durham? There's a reason liberals are suddenly trying to turn up the heat on Trump and his team.

Comment

Barr has been taking a bath in Giuliani’s poo. Folks are beginning to complain about the stink. Barr himself has no sense of smell.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Hey, man, with the global warming predictions being bandied about, Arizona will be prime beachfront property within the next decade!
                That would be just another topic that you have buried yourself in conspiracy theories and general ignorance ...

By the way, have you guys been paying attention to Barr and Durham? There's a reason liberals are suddenly trying to turn up the heat on Trump and his team.
                hmmm - dare I guess - another conspiracy theory is being born?
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  hmmm - dare I guess - another conspiracy theory is being born?
                  Nope. NBC recently reported that Durham is onto something big, and key Democrats have suddenly started hiring lawyers.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...g-significant/

Comment

Nope. NBC recently reported that Durham is onto something big, and key Democrats have suddenly started hiring lawyers.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...g-significant/
                    Barr and Durham are just going to embarrass themselves. They will deserve every bit of ridicule coming their way. Russia is behind discrediting Russian interference in the 2016 election; as you would expect. This has always been about lifting sanctions; Trump’s mission for mother Russia and Putin.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                      Barr and Durham are just going to embarrass themselves. They will deserve every bit of ridicule coming their way. Russia is behind discrediting Russian interference in the 2016 election; as you would expect. This has always been about lifting sanctions; Trump’s mission for mother Russia and Putin.
                      It's time to lay off the Rachel Maddow, fella.

Comment

It's time to lay off the Rachel Maddow, fella.
                        Your boy is getting hard to control. The public are turning against him and the Reps are bound to follow quite soon. Time to boot the gangster POTUS out of town.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                          Your boy is getting hard to control. The public are turning against him and the Reps are bound to follow quite soon. Time to boot the gangster POTUS out of town.
                          Right. The walls are closing in. Again.

walls_closing_in_trump_censored.jpg

Comment

The cartoon is incorrect, as we know, and the facts on obstruction were clearly laid out and could still be included in articles of impeachment. Pelosi is spoiled for choice.

‘Moscow’ Mitch must be thinking that he has a major liability on his hands, but for some reason, he is scared to act. What does Trump or Putin have on him?

Ambassador Bill Taylor hammers a few more nails into Trump’s coffin. The conspiracy is becoming clear. Trump obviously learned nothing from Mueller except that Reps will let him crime.
                            Last edited by firstfloor; 10-23-2019, 02:19 AM.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40384[/ATTACH]
                              You delude yourself, just as Trump lives in denial.

The Mueller report revealed 10 instances when Trump's conduct raised potential legal issues.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ustice-1281245
                              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment