Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The obvious has been officially confirmed ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    You're failing at that mind-reading thing again, Jim.
    I dont think you know what that means. And I was always taught silence in the face of something wrong is tacit approval.

Again, I dont know of one person in the 'we are against the MSM camp' here at tweb that has spoken up and let it be known the crowd size nuttery from the Trump side is dead wrong. Even when the thread was active and we were all arguing the point.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Yes you can - you just did ;)

To be fair, it's an issue of truth over fantasy. And it really does matter in that when two people can't agree on something so straight forward, it means there is something seriously wrong. Which is why I do not understand why so many of you are willing to let MM's position stand.

Jim
    MM is a big boy - you two can fight it out or hug it out.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied

To be fair, it's an issue of truth over fantasy. And it really does matter in that when two people can't agree on something so straight forward, it means there is something seriously wrong. Which is why I do not understand why so many of you are willing to let MM's position stand.

Jim
    You're failing at that mind-reading thing again, Jim.

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Jim. I don't care. I'm not interested. I was discussing the concept of faking vs editing in general.

I can't tell you how much I don't care about your war with MM on the crowd size.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    That is fine, but your argument is flawed. As I showed in the post you cut, there is no accidental way for the time lapse to have been constructed that does NOT show the full extent of the crowd...
    Jim. I don't care. I'm not interested. I was discussing the concept of faking vs editing in general.

I can't tell you how much I don't care about your war with MM on the crowd size.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Exactly. Or when reporters claim to be on location but are really standing in front of a green screen in the local studio.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Roy View Post
    Yeah, I just fixed it.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I disagree. In that case, I would say the video was misleading. Saying that something is "faked" suggests that fabrication took place.
    So, like when the highly respected journalists at NBC faked the fiery crash of a GM truck for their story?

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    If the video is edited purposefully to distort the message, it's faked.
    I disagree. In that case, I would say the video was misleading. Saying that something is "faked" suggests that fabrication took place.

Leave a comment:

• Roy
    replied
    Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    My two cents on "faked" vs "edited:" when I think about a video being faked, I think of images being altered or staged, or in the case of the crowd size thing maybe photos from another event used deceptively, or something along those lines. So just in a general sense I would regard referring to MM's comments as calling the video "fake" to be an unfair characterization.
    Thanks for the 2c tip.

I'd say that taking something out of a picture or film sequence is alteration just as putting something in is.
    Like removing all frames of a CCTV recording that show a particular person in order to give the impression that they weren't there. Cf Entrapment, Rising Sun, etc.
    Or cropping or airbrushing a picture of an event in order to remove one or more participants. Cf Yezhov/Malchenko/Bondarenko.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    That does not surprise me even a little bit OBP.

What I see in that is that when the data is objective, the people on the objectively wrong side no longer want to talk.

Jim
    Your opinion is duly noted, Jim. It is wholly unrelated to why I am not interested in discussing this with you.

Leave a comment:

• Roy
    replied
    I'm not getting involved in that, Roy -- I didn't pay much attention to it at the time, and - like I told Ox, I really don't have a dog in that fight.

(I edited your post cause it appeared you had a "close quote" instead of a "close italic". The intent, of course, was clarity, not obfuscation or deception)
    Yeah, I just fixed it.

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I'm not interested in discussing this with you, Jim. Thanks.
    That does not surprise me even a little bit OBP.

What I see in that is that when the data is objective, the people on the objectively wrong side no longer want to talk.

Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-30-2019, 11:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    I'm aware of the issue, Jim, and the fact that this has been rehashed over and over and over and over....

I don't have a dog in this fight - I was simply commenting on the fact that the difference between "editing" and "faking" comes down to intent.

I also do not wish to discuss this with you.
    That is fine, but your argument is flawed. As I showed in the post you cut, there is no accidental way for the time lapse to have been constructed that does NOT show the full extent of the crowd. Therefore, if the time lapse was inaccurate as to crowd size, it was purposefully faked. It is not a matter of opinion. Either the time lapse shows the reality of the crowd size, or it was faked.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Roy View Post
    So if a video is edited to never show the crowd at its peak, is that sufficient distortion to qualify as being faked?
    I'm not getting involved in that, Roy -- I didn't pay much attention to it at the time, and - like I told Ox, I really don't have a dog in that fight.

(I edited your post cause it appeared you had a "close quote" instead of a "close italic". The intent, of course, was clarity, not obfuscation or deception)

Leave a comment: