Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The obvious has been officially confirmed ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    No sir, I've been trying.

Never said you did - I said you're grouping me in with others with whom you appear to be at war.

Except I respond to you as a person, Jim - you're so fixated on Trump that you group anybody who opposes you together.
    You are seeing something that isn't there CP. But I'll keep trying.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      You are seeing something that isn't there CP. But I'll keep trying.
      Says the guy continually lumps me in with his enemies.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Says the guy continually lumps me in with his enemies.
        You're not my enemy just because you have a different opinion than I do - where do you get 'lump me in with my enemies? I included you in the list because you were expressing the same sort of ideas. Ideas I don't understand. And which I tried to ask questions to help sort out in the post you gave up on.

Jim
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

MM - what you call paranoid delusions are the simple facts of the case.
          No, they're not, and the fact that you can't see that is a large part of your problem. What you call "the simple facts" are so loaded up with unfounded assumptions and idle speculation that you've effectively left fact behind and entered the land of fiction.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            No, they're not, and the fact that you can't see that is a large part of your problem. What you call "the simple facts" are so loaded up with unfounded assumptions and idle speculation that you've effectively left fact behind and entered the land of fiction.
            We will soon see how well your assessment actually holds

Comment

Yes it is, and quite clearly. Two explicit examples are provided -- treason and bribery -- illustrating the nature and seriousness of the crime that would compel impeachment. Anything short of that does not warrant impeachment, per the Constitution.
              Like I said, as far as the President is concerned, "abuse of power" is a crime, and abuse of power circumscribes many things that are not actual crimes and it is left to Congress to both investigate and adjudicate. Read the Federalist Papers and Alexander Hamilton. But again, along with the abuse of power, there is also much evidence of many criminal acts by Trump and his administration, criminal acts which you chose to ignore and snip out of my previous post.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                Like I said, as far as the President is concerned, "abuse of power" is a crime...
                "Abuse of power" is a category of crimes and not a crime in and of itself. You still need to name an actual crime at least as serious as bribery and treason before impeachment is warranted, per the Constitution.

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                ...there is also much evidence of many criminal acts by Trump and his administration...
                Then why haven't Democrats released the evidence and voted to impeach already, if the facts are really that cut and dried? Why the endless "investigations", and why are they now floating the unconstitutional notion that a president doesn't actually need to be guilty of a crime to be impeached?

It's time to take off the tinfoil hat and put on your thinking cap, because the answers are pretty obvious.

Comment

"Abuse of power" is a category of crimes and not a crime in and of itself....
                  You beat me to it.... "Abuse of power" is an accusation, which must then be supported by fact. If it's actually a crime, that has to be proven, not simply alleged.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You beat me to it.... "Abuse of power" is an accusation, which must then be supported by fact. If it's actually a crime, that has to be proven, not simply alleged.
                    I don't think anyone is proposing that just accusing the president is sufficient. There has to be actual abuse of power that can be shown objectively.

But that isn't an issue in the case of Mr. Trump. It's just a matter of determining if the abuse itself so egregious it warrants impeachment.

Jim

Comment

I don't think anyone is proposing that just accusing the president is sufficient.
                      Ummmm..... he is routinely called a criminal and worse on this very site.

There has to be actual abuse of power that can be shown objectively.
                      Absolutely.

But that isn't an issue in the case of Mr. Trump. It's just a matter of determining if the abuse itself so egregious it warrants impeachment.

Jim
                      And, again, if the Democrat leadership hadn't been so spiteful and hate-filled since BEFORE Trump was even POTUS, it would be easier to see this as an "objective" prosecution.

Comment

Ummmm..... he is routinely called a criminal and worse on this very site.
                        That won't get him impeached, and most of the time the accusations are related to some criminal or apparently criminal action on his part.

Absolutely.

And, again, if the Democrat leadership hadn't been so spiteful and hate-filled since BEFORE Trump was even POTUS, it would be easier to see this as an "objective" prosecution.
                        That may well be true (though I'm not sure I agree with the specific adjectives you are using to describe their negative reaction to Trump).

Jim

Comment

The fact that the Democrats won't even hold a vote to make their impeachment inquiry official (which they must do if they want their demand letters to carry any legal weight) suggests that even they aren't confident in their case against the President.

Comment

That won't get him impeached, and most of the time the accusations are related to some criminal or apparently criminal action on his part.
                            Yeah, I was accused of "abuse of power" when I was a police officer, and this was way before bodycams. That would be an accusation related to "some criminal or apparently criminal action" on my part.

Fortunately, the judge had a hard time believing the testimony of the 265 pound bad guy who attacked me with a cue stick was credible, in that I "threw him over the hood of my police car" just because I didn't like him.

(It was kinda funny - I weight about 148 lbs back then, and this was a BIG guy who had come running full force at me to beat me with the cue stick from the bar) The judge kept looking at the guy, then at me, sizing us both up, then asking the complainant...."so, what you're telling me is that Officer Cow Poke beat you up?" The guy couldn't even look at the judge, who then uttered the words "case dismissed".

That may well be true (though I'm not sure I agree with the specific adjectives you are using to describe their negative reaction to Trump).

Jim
                            And I don't agree with some of the specific adjectives frequently used here (not necessarily by you) to describe Trump with his negative reaction to the spiteful and hate-filled Democrats trying everything but the kitchen sink to invalidate his presidency even before he was sworn in.

Comment

The fact that the Democrats won't even hold a vote to make their impeachment inquiry official (which they must do if they want their demand letters to carry any legal weight) suggests that even they aren't confident in their case against the President.
                              I don't think it quite means what you are saying MM. The lack of confidence is due more to the fact the republicans have relinquished nearly all moral responsibility as it relates to their role in the separations of powers WRT this president. Which means the house must have a case that is more than merely technically correct. It must be sufficiently strong that a significant number of republicans in the senate will have no choice but to recognize it's legitimacy. And in this day with Trump at the helm and the republicans mostly just his minions, that is a tall order.

Jim

Comment

I don't think it quite means what you are saying MM. The lack of confidence is due more to the fact the republicans have relinquished nearly all moral responsibility as it relates to their role in the separations of powers WRT this president. Which means the house must have a case that is more than merely technically correct. It must be sufficiently strong that a significant number of republicans in the senate will have no choice but to recognize it's legitimacy. And in this day with Trump at the helm and the republicans mostly just his minions, that is a tall order.

Jim
                                What does it matter what the Republicans do? The Democrats have the advantage of numbers in the House and could vote to make the inquiry official today if they wanted, and then the Trump administration would be compelled to respond to all subpoenas. But then you guys insist that the evidence against Trump is already significant and damning, so why even bother with that? Just release the evidence in full, vote to impeach, and then sit back and watch Senate Republicans squirm knowing that Pelosi and her gang just backed them into a corner.

But that's not happening, and it will never happen. Do you know why? It's very simple: they don't have a case against the President. That's why they're operating behind closed doors and depending on carefully constructed "leaks" to their media allies to sell their false narrative. It's the Russian Collusion Delusion all over again, where the ironclad evidence is always just around the corner but never actually delivered.

Comment