Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Are These People Freaking Nuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Sorry to hear that Sparko, the pirate world could use more female pirates.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
      The traitor part is unquestionable. That he isn't a hero: do you mind establishing that? What criteria must a person satisfy to make him a hero? How has Manning not satisfied the necessary criteria?
      Shouldn't this be the other way around? Is hero something we all are by default until someone proves we're not? Do I get a sparkling sticker to go with this new designation?
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Wow. Just... wow.

I know you like to play the curmudgeon, but perhaps consider the possibility that we really do have a new believer here who's struggling right now
        We're all struggling.

and react with a semblance of a heart for once.
        I did act with a semblance of a heart. For seer, seeing how he was the one being dogpiled by oversensitive weenies for no reason. Oh no, he said "it", bring out the pitchforks! Leon OTOH is the kind of guy who runs from real fights and only shows up when the other guy's already laid flat to throw in a few kicks and runs off before an antagonistic fist shows up to pay its respects to his face. This time the fist showed up early.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Trying to define what makes one a "hero" is pointless when the recipient is pedantic to no end.

What makes Superman a hero is not that he has power, but that he has the wisdom and the maturity to use the power wisely.
          - Christopher Reeve
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            We're all struggling.
            Yes, but there are times that the struggle is especially harsh. A little bit of empathy and compassion can go a long way.

I did act with a semblance of a heart. For seer, seeing how he was the one being dogpiled by oversensitive weenies for no reason. Oh no, he said "it", bring out the pitchforks! Leon OTOH is the kind of guy who runs from real fights and only shows up when the other guy's already laid flat to throw in a few kicks and runs off before an antagonistic fist shows up to pay its respects to his face. This time the fist showed up early.
            Let's see, we have 4, people including myself that said anything at all. 2 of which were not harsh at all. I only said that it was "definitely disrespectful". I'd hardly call that "dogpiling". Dehumanizing anyone is bad. We are talking about real people whom Christ died for just as much as any one of us. He did come to save sinners, and to heal the sick.
            Leon seems pretty capable of standing up for himself. He certainly doesn't fit your description. Not that I've seen anyway. Not matching up with a stereotypical "tough guy" doesn't make someone a coward.

Comment

Shouldn't this be the other way around? Is hero something we all are by default until someone proves we're not? Do I get a sparkling sticker to go with this new designation?

What precisely is your point here?

Edit: preparing a sticker for you. Do you want it with pink sparkles or without?
              Last edited by Paprika; 05-15-2014, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                Trying to define what makes one a "hero" is pointless when the recipient is pedantic to no end.
                It is very amusing when someone, claiming that "there was nothing heroic in [Manning's] action...except for conspiracy nuts like Auggie, I can't see why anyone would regard him as a hero", cannot at all give a clear definition to justify his ruling out Manning as a hero and the strong perjorative against those who regard Manning as such.

Comment

It is very amusing when someone, claiming that "there was nothing heroic in [Manning's] action...except for conspiracy nuts like Auggie, I can't see why anyone would regard him as a hero", cannot at all give a clear definition to justify his ruling out Manning as a hero and the strong perjorative against those who regard Manning as such.
                  There's no such thing as a clear definition of a hero. So stop being a jackass and demanding one.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    There's no such thing as a clear definition of a hero. So stop being a jackass and demanding one.

If there's no clear definition of a hero, then perhaps Raphael shouldn't have been so quick to apply a perjorative against those who regard Manning as one. Don't you agree?

Comment

If there's no clear definition of a hero, then perhaps Raphael shouldn't have been so quick to apply a perjorative against those who regard Manning as one. Don't you agree?
                      This is why I don't talk to you. I'm out.
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Ok folks lets dial this down a bit. and while Civics is not the place for My Little Pony type discussions a little compassion towards someone who is struggling can go a long way into making the discussion move along without any tangents.

So please keep the personal attacks to a minimum. Remember there is a human being behind the screen.

RumTumTugger
                        Department head and Tweb Mom

Comment

What precisely is your point here?
                          That you shouldn't be asking others why Manning isn't a hero. The burden of proof is yours, not theirs.

Edit: preparing a sticker for you. Do you want it with pink sparkles or without?
                          And purple.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                            Yes, but there are times that the struggle is especially harsh. A little bit of empathy and compassion can go a long way.
                            Preach that to Leon, he's the one who started it.

Let's see, we have 4, people including myself that said anything at all. 2 of which were not harsh at all. I only said that it was "definitely disrespectful". I'd hardly call that "dogpiling".
                            Dogpile implies numbers, not necessarily quality.

Dehumanizing anyone is bad. We are talking about real people whom Christ died for just as much as any one of us. He did come to save sinners, and to heal the sick.
                            Yes, that's the problem, you have an extremely low standard for what constitutes dehumanizing.

Leon seems pretty capable of standing up for himself. He certainly doesn't fit your description. Not that I've seen anyway. Not matching up with a stereotypical "tough guy" doesn't make someone a coward.
                            Your opinion on Leon and my description doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Comment

That you shouldn't be asking others why Manning isn't a hero.
                              I wouldn't have if it had just been "I don't think Manning is a hero". But since Raphael made the strong statement that only "conspiracy nuts" can regard Manning as a hero, I inferred that Raphael is actively ruling out Manning as a hero. Thus my questioning as to the basis.

Comment

I wouldn't have if it had just been "I don't think Manning is a hero". But since Raphael made the strong statement that only "conspiracy nuts" can regard Manning as a hero, I inferred that Raphael is actively ruling out Manning as a hero. Thus my questioning as to the basis.
                                Ok but when Raph said it's because he hasn't done anything heroic that still wasn't enough for you. I mean, what do you want him to say? Manning didn't rescue children from a burning orphanage? Manning didn't single-handedly repel an entire Soviet platoon with two meters of barbed wire and a Ginsu knife? Manning didn't take a flying shoe for Hillary Clinton? There's a gazillion ways in which someone is not a hero. It's inane stuff like this that make people want to avoid talking to you.

Comment