Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

O’Rourke: Churches Should Lose Tax-exempt Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    The majority didn’t seem to mind having the Jews, Gypsies, gays, mentally ill, etc shipped away.
    Yep... which brings up another question being avoided:

Immediate? Local? Regional? National? International? Global? Which "community" should one be beholden to morally, and why?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The majority didn’t seem to mind having the Jews, Gypsies, gays, mentally ill, etc shipped away.
      With regard to the jews the majority could have been influenced by the church:

First to set fire to their synagogues or schools and to bury and cover with dirt whatever will not burn, so that no man will ever again see a stone or cinder of them. This is to be done in honor of our Lord and of Christendom, so that God might see that we are Christians, and do not condone or knowingly tolerate such public lying, cursing, and blaspheming of his Son and of his Christians. For whatever we tolerated in the past unknowingly * and I myself was unaware of it * will be pardoned by God. But if we, now that we are informed, were to protect and shield such a house for the Jews, existing right before our very nose, in which they lie about, blaspheme, curse, vilify, and defame Christ and us (as was heard above), it would be the same as if we were doing all this and even worse ourselves, as we very well know.

Second, I advise that their houses also be razed and destroyed. For they pursue in them the same aims as in their synagogues. Instead they might be lodged under a roof or in a barn, like the gypsies. This will bring home to them that they are not masters in our country, as they boast, but that they are living in exile and in captivity, as they incessantly wail and lament about us before God. Martin Luther https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...heir-lies-quot
      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
        With regard to the jews the majority could have been influenced by the church:
        So you agree that ‘majority rules’ is a bad idea. Thanks Charles. Now, can you give me a reason I should try to defend Martin Luther’s more crazy words?
        Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 10-21-2019, 12:15 PM.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

So you agree that ‘majority rules’ is a bad idea. Thanks Charles. Now, can you give me a reason I should try to defend Martin Luther’s more crazy words?
          That is a simplification of my view. I wonder why you ask me for a reason to support Martin Luther's words. It was an example listed among all the other examples of how you could arrive at the wrong conclusions. As has been pointed out numerous times those who claim to speak on behalf of a higher power or claim to have a higher authority based on a religious belief often point others in the completely wrong direction, just like people go in the wrong direction in the example you yourself provided.
          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

That is a simplification of my view. I wonder why you ask me for a reason to support Martin Luther's words. It was an example listed among all the other examples of how you could arrive at the wrong conclusions. As has been pointed out numerous times those who claim to speak on behalf of a higher power or claim to have a higher authority based on a religious belief often point others in the completely wrong direction, just like people go in the wrong direction in the example you yourself provided.
            In other words, you want to blame religion on all the ills of the world.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

In other words, you want to blame religion on all the ills of the world.
              I acknowledged the examples you gave in which religion was certainly not the only cause, so I wonder how you are able to arrive at such an obviously wrong conclusion.

Comment

I acknowledged the examples you gave in which religion was certainly not the only cause, so I wonder how you are able to arrive at such an obviously wrong conclusion.
                Charles, you should read about psychological experiments done in the 60’s about this same thing. You can condition people to accept a lot of things, without using religion to do so.
                Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 10-21-2019, 01:29 PM.
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Charles, you should read about psychological experiments done in the 60’s about this same thing. You can condition people to accept a lot of things, without using religion to do so.
                  What gives you reason to think I would deny that? And how is it even an answer the point I had about religion in some forms being one source of error among many others?

Comment

What gives you reason to think I would deny that? And how is it even an answer the point I had about religion in some forms being one source of error among many others?
                    Your point is to troll Charles. Stop pretending you were trying to have an honest conversation.
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Your point is to troll Charles. Stop pretending you were trying to have an honest conversation.
                      Strange answer after having failed to describy my position correctly.

Comment

Strange answer after having failed to describy my position correctly.
                        It’s not hard to see you trying to blame religion for the holocaust. Troll harder.
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

It’s not hard to see you trying to blame religion for the holocaust. Troll harder.
                          Wrong. I pointed out how one religious person planted some of those horrible ideas. I have made it absolutely clear that I acknowledge other reasons for the errors in moral judgement. What do you need that straw man for?

Comment

Wrong. I pointed out how one religious person planted some of those horrible ideas. I have made it absolutely clear that I acknowledge other reasons for the errors in moral judgement. What do you need that straw man for?
                            I hate to break the bad news to you, but humans have been generally distrustful of minority groups living among them. You’re just trying to play your silly games, the idea that Martin Luther implanted the idea is absurd, considering distrust of Jews goes back long before Martin Luther.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I hate to break the bad news to you, but humans have been generally distrustful of minority groups living among them.
                              Where did I deny that?

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                              You’re just trying to play your silly games, the idea that Martin Luther implanted the idea is absurd, considering distrust of Jews goes back long before Martin Luther.
                              Where did I claim he implanted it?

Comment

Where did I deny that?

Where did I claim he implanted it?
                                So you’re point in quoting ML is...
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment