Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

O’Rourke: Churches Should Lose Tax-exempt Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
    Now that, is just silly, Tea. It has nothing to do with moral superiority, it has to do with the individual freedom of each person to live according to their own values and beliefs.
    Because allowing each person to live according to their own values and beliefs is the morally superior position, right?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      No, Tea. The question wasn't even about himself, it was a hypothetical. Question: "what would you say to a man who believes marriage is between a man and a woman." Answer: "I'd tell him to marry a woman." In other words, she'd tell him to tend to his own business, marry a woman, and don't worry yourself about how others choose to live their own lives.
      Read the rest of it - no, she took a nasty swipe for the base brownie points - still hypocritical as heck.

Now that, is just silly, Tea. It has nothing to do with moral superiority, it has to do with the individual freedom of each person to live according to their own values and beliefs.
      No, it isn't. Telling someone not to push their beliefs while pushing your own is an assumption of moral superiority - and even more hypocritical.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Key point - "presumably". This demonstrates your profound ignorance of the principle of the priesthood of the believer and the autonomy of the local church.
        This is NOT about church governance, it’s about mossrose’s quote which she highlighted from a Southern Baptist regarding the “The gospel of Christ”, as she saw it to be.

You don't know squat about what "every Christian" thinks.
        Everybody views morality and the social rules of their community through the lens of their own culture. This demonstrably applies to how Christians have viewed scripture and its precepts throughout history.

You are apparently as profoundly ignorant of what Catholics think, as well. Not all of the march lockstep with the Pope.

And you ignorantly assume that every Catholic buys that.
        Sincere Catholics accept official Catholic doctrine, including that of “no salvation outside the church”. But no doubt they exercise Christian charity when socializing with a hell-bound heretic like yourself.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Because allowing each person to live according to their own values and beliefs is the morally superior position, right?
          You mean as opposed to forcing each person to live according to YOUR religion-based values and beliefs.

It's the “right” of every person to live according to their own values and beliefs provided it is within the confines of accepted community values.
          Last edited by Tassman; 10-17-2019, 02:48 AM.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
            It's the “right” of every person to live according to their own values and beliefs provided it is within the confines of accepted community values.
            Which community, exactly? And on what basis does one determine that any given community's moral standards are necessarily correct and worthy of conformity?
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              This is NOT about church governance...
              It's about Tassman spewing forth ignorance in great volume.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                So a democrat presidential candidate didn’t say, on a public stage, that he would eliminate the tax exempt status of any church that didn’t perform gay weddings and the audience didn’t cheer at such a statement? So what part of this isn’t true?
                Beto O'Rourke is a candidate, lilpix, not a president, and has no authority to do such a thing even if he were president. It would be unconstitutional! Besides that, that's not what the discussion with Warren was about, it had nothing to do with the government, churches or the IRS in particular.

Comment

Beto O'Rourke is a candidate, lilpix, not a president, and has no authority to do such a thing even if he were president. It would be unconstitutional! Besides that, that's not what the discussion with Warren was about, it had nothing to do with the government, churches or the IRS in particular.
                  Sweety, did you watch the audience reaction to such comments? Were they aghast of such action or excited for such action? Beto is speaking, what most of them already believe (and I suspect you do too). Which is Christians need to bend a knee to the outrage mob or else.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Sweety, did you watch the audience reaction to such comments? Were they aghast of such action or excited for such action? Beto is speaking, what most of them already believe Jimmy. Which is Christians need to bend a knee to the outrage mob or else.
                    Personally, I hope O'Rourke and his ilk keep beating that drum right up til the election.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Personally, I hope O'Rourke and his ilk keep beating that drum right up til the election.
                      Beto is just saying, what they all believe.

“Bend a knee or we’ll destroy you in any way we can.”

The front runners don’t want to say it because unlike Beto, they have a shot.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Beto is just saying, what they all believe.
                        I think it's a stretch to say they ALL believe that, but, yes - even some of his liberal buddies are mad at him for giving away their plan to grab guns...

“Bend a knee or we’ll destroy you in any way we can.”

The front runners don’t want to say it because unlike Beto, they have a shot.
                        If you ever met Beto in person, you'd swear he was a parody of a bad liberal politician.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Read the rest of it - no, she took a nasty swipe for the base brownie points - still hypocritical as heck.
                          Yea, she took a swipe at him, which she shouldn't have because it was a hypothetical, but so what, that had nothing to do with the point she was making which was that people should mind their own business, live according to their own beliefs and principles, and not to be worrying themselves about how others choose to believe and live their lives.

No, it isn't. Telling someone not to push their beliefs while pushing your own is an assumption of moral superiority - and even more hypocritical.
                          But only one side is trying to push their beliefs on the other. Gays aren't telling hetero's who they can an can not marry, it's the other way around. Gays aren't running around telling you that if you decide to get married then you can only marry a woman, are they? But you're telling them that they have to live according to your beliefs.

Comment

Sweety, did you watch the audience reaction to such comments? Were they aghast of such action or excited for such action? Beto is speaking, what most of them already believe (and I suspect you do too). Which is Christians need to bend a knee to the outrage mob or else.
                            Ah, half of them, just like most of the democratic constituency is probably christian, sweety!

Comment

Why, you supporting Trump again, CP?

Comment

Yea, she took a swipe at him, which she shouldn't have because it was a hypothetical, but so what, that had nothing to do with the point she was making which was that people should mind their own business, live according to their own beliefs and principles, and not to be worrying themselves about how others choose to believe and live their lives.

But only one side is trying to push their beliefs on the other. Gays aren't telling hetero's who they can an can not marry, it's the other way around. Gays aren't running around telling you that if you decide to get married then you can only marry a woman, are they? But you're telling them that they have to live according to your beliefs.
                                Actually good points, Jim, but it doesn't stop there. It's not simply "if you believe in traditional marriage and you're a man - marry a woman" -- it's also "and if you speak publicly about your views, you're going to jail for hate speech", or "we will prevent you from speaking on college campuses", or "we will subpoena your sermons, sermon notes, publications...".

It's not as benign as you make it to be.

(No, Warren didn't actually 'go there', but that's the other side of that coin)

Comment