Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    So smart that she's hamstringing her own committee(s) by refusing to hold a vote that would grant them subpoena authority.
    How many times does it need be explained to you that they already have subpoena power? They don't need a vote to have subpoena power, subpoena power is already gauranteed by the rules of the House. Get your head out of the Breitbart bubble.

Comment

This is true up to a certain point; however, they can not, of course, invent rules that put them in violation of the law, and due process laws do not grant them the authority to arbitrarily issue subpoenas, for what I think are obvious reasons. Judicial precedent says that any committee who wishes such authority must seek the approval of its chamber, which in this case means a house vote.

So why won't Pelosi do it? What's she afraid of?
      No it doesn't mean a House vote, MM. The authority of the chamber simply means in accordance with the House rules, and the House rules are set at the convening of the Congress. It's actually the republicans who originally made the rule, the democrats, when taking over the House, simply kept it. No vote needed! Thank you republicans!

Comment

And why would we want open and timely debate about a matter as serious as the impeachment of a president?
        Because we know how your republicans in Congress operate, and the way they operate has nothing to do with truth seeking.

Comment

There's no need to draw it out. Hold open hearings, present the damning evidence that Democrats claim to be in possession of, and then vote to impeach. If Democrats move quickly and decisively then Republicans won't have time to interfere, which is what Jimmy's talking points straight from the mouth of Shifty Adam Schiff claim to want to prevent. Dragging their feet and keeping proceedings secret and out of the public view actually gives Republicans more opportunity to interfere and spin the narrative in their favor.

It keeps coming back to the question: What are the Democrats afraid of?
          Don't worry guys, you'll be clued in soon enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Because we know how your republicans in Congress operate, and the way they operate has nothing to do with truth seeking.
            Let me guess, your TV told you that, correct?
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
              No it doesn't mean a House vote, MM. The authority of the chamber simply means in accordance with the House rules, and the House rules are set at the convening of the Congress. It's actually the republicans who originally made the rule, the democrats, when taking over the House, simply kept it. No vote needed! Thank you republicans!
              Sorry, but House rules do not override judicial precedent.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                That would be an arguementum ad cerebrum fallacy. Well done.

Reps forget Rep crimes so he won’t be removed from office but Syria might prevent him being re-elected. It might depend on ‘Moscow’ Mitch finding someone else. I don’t see any names coming forward. Which Rep would run against Trump?
                Any chance you could find another shorthand for Republicans? Most people in the US think 'representative' when they see 'rep'. Sometimes it's not clear if you mean the Republicans or the House of Representatives.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

She certainly does, which is why the unprincipled republicans fear her so much.
                  Dude, seriously? She got backed into a corner by a group of her own freshmen! Tip O'Neill would have eaten the 'Squad' for breakfast. And Trump tricked her into supporting the same group she needed to be disciplining!

Pelosi isn't half the Speaker she used to be - and she was never in the big leagues like O'Neill.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

She's not afraid, MM, she's smart, and she'sway too smart to cave to the whining of republicans whose only goal is to muck up the investigation, not to present the facts to their constituents.
                    Jim, she's most likely in her last term as Speaker and she's already on record acknowledging the possibility. This will hurt the moderate Dems badly - and most of them are freshmen. If they can't pull a rabbit out of that hat, they will lose the House.

And the same guy that kept promising he had the real dirt on Russiagate - and didn't - is heading up this farce with the same 'we've got him now' promises that weren't true back then.

Smoke and mirrors only go so far.

Pelosi is holding out for a miracle at this point - either an actual smoking gun or a graceful exit - and it isn't likely to come. There's no hope of dragging this out until after the 2020 election so eventually, there will be a vote or the 'inquiry' will be dropped.

The longer she waits, if no miracle occurs, the more likely she faces a defeat on the House floor if it does go to a vote - or the fury of the Dem base if it doesn't. Whether for inquiry or articles, there must be a vote or the Dems will implode.

Minus a miracle, Pelosi is done as Speaker.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

There's no need to draw it out. Hold open hearings, present the damning evidence that Democrats claim to be in possession of, and then vote to impeach. If Democrats move quickly and decisively then Republicans won't have time to interfere, which is what Jimmy's talking points straight from the mouth of Shifty Adam Schiff claim to want to prevent. Dragging their feet and keeping proceedings secret and out of the public view actually gives Republicans more opportunity to interfere and spin the narrative in their favor.

It keeps coming back to the question: What are the Democrats afraid of?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• It's hard for folks here to make the argument that a long investigatory process means Democrats don't have any good evidence on Trump when several of the same people spent 2015 and 2016 giving bated-breath updates to the seven (7) Benghazi investigations ... which had >100 closed-door depositions and 1 public hearing, for what it's worth.

Truth is, Democrats have their reasons for how they're proceeding -- and have their internal disagreements about how they should proceed. Only way to understand that is to listen to what Democrats are saying and what they're reported to be discussing in caucus meetings.

What we can't do, at this moment, is definitely say how this will express itself in public opinion going toward the election. Since impeachment proceedings began, Trump's approval hasn't dropped precipitously. But it sure ain't going up, either.

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 12.44.39 AM.jpg
                        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Sorry, but House rules do not override judicial precedent.
                          Sorry, but there is no judicial president. Any past judicial rulings had to do with the existing rules of the Congress at that time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            Dude, seriously? She got backed into a corner by a group of her own freshmen! Tip O'Neill would have eaten the 'Squad' for breakfast. And Trump tricked her into supporting the same group she needed to be disciplining!

Pelosi isn't half the Speaker she used to be - and she was never in the big leagues like O'Neill.
                            Sorry Tea, but you're living in a dream world. Pelosi is probably the toughest, smartest, speaker in the history of the Congress, and even though you don't know it, the President and the Republican party knows it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              Jim, she's most likely in her last term as Speaker and she's already on record acknowledging the possibility. This will hurt the moderate Dems badly - and most of them are freshmen. If they can't pull a rabbit out of that hat, they will lose the House.

And the same guy that kept promising he had the real dirt on Russiagate - and didn't - is heading up this farce with the same 'we've got him now' promises that weren't true back then.

Smoke and mirrors only go so far.

Pelosi is holding out for a miracle at this point - either an actual smoking gun or a graceful exit - and it isn't likely to come. There's no hope of dragging this out until after the 2020 election so eventually, there will be a vote or the 'inquiry' will be dropped.

The longer she waits, if no miracle occurs, the more likely she faces a defeat on the House floor if it does go to a vote - or the fury of the Dem base if it doesn't. Whether for inquiry or articles, there must be a vote or the Dems will implode.

Minus a miracle, Pelosi is done as Speaker.
                              I'm afraid you're seeing the world through rose colored republican glasses there, Tea. My take is that either the republicans will have to concede to the mounting evidence against this President, or to the backlash from their own constituency and impeach the immoral, unethical, undemocratic, wannabe treasonous autocrat, or he will lose the 2020 election in a landslide and take the republican party down with him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                It's hard for folks here to make the argument that a long investigatory process means Democrats don't have any good evidence on Trump when several of the same people spent 2015 and 2016 giving bated-breath updates to the seven (7) Benghazi investigations ... which had >100 closed-door depositions and 1 public hearing, for what it's worth.

Truth is, Democrats have their reasons for how they're proceeding -- and have their internal disagreements about how they should proceed. Only way to understand that is to listen to what Democrats are saying and what they're reported to be discussing in caucus meetings.

What we can't do, at this moment, is definitely say how this will express itself in public opinion going toward the election. Since impeachment proceedings began, Trump's approval hasn't dropped precipitously. But it sure ain't going up, either.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40278[/ATTACH]
                                Over 50% of the country now agree with the impeachment inquiry and the presidents removal from office.

Comment