Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    This misrepresents what Bleachbit is and how it works, as well as the capabilities for forensic software to recover wiped data.

I've installed a Bleachbit-like program in hundreds of computers and insist to everyone who comes to me for a computer swap that the old HDD be either wiped or smashed as a matter of basic security protocol.

--Sam
    So it can’t be accidentally installed and activated? As Teal said?
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

This misrepresents what Bleachbit is and how it works, as well as the capabilities for forensic software to recover wiped data.

I've installed a Bleachbit-like program in hundreds of computers and insist to everyone who comes to me for a computer swap that the old HDD be either wiped or smashed as a matter of basic security protocol.

--Sam
      You accidentally wiped your computer completely? Wow, impressive.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Clinton's server had security and a firewall. As far as anyone can tell, it was never breached.
        In fact, her server was compromised to the point that the Chinese government had a live dropbox intercepting every incoming and outgoing communication:

In August 2018, news articles alleged that a Chinese state-owned company hacked former Secretary Clinton’s non-government server and inserted code that forwarded nearly all of her emails to the foreign company. The reporting indicated that two Intelligence Community Inspector General (ICIG) officials – Frank Rucker and Jeanette McMillian – discovered the code and brought the possible intrusion to the attention of the FBI.

https://www.grassley.senate.gov/site...n%20Server.pdf

Plus, her email account depended on outside servers run by companies with lax security standards, or at least companies that were not cleared for government use, and certainly not for trafficking sensitive information.

So even if her server wasn't directly comprised (it was), that doesn't tell us anything about the multiple external servers and computer systems used to pass data back and forth across the internet.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          You accidentally wiped your computer completely? Wow, impressive.
          It would be helpful if you specified the accusation you're making with some sort of citation. As far as I can recall, you're referring to the incident where a contractor at Platte River Network had wiped the server hosting Clinton's emails and belatedly erased the backup PST file with Bleachbit, which is not a difficult or technically-intensive process.

I honestly don't think most people here have any real detailed recollections of the issue. It's all a jumbled mess of half-remembered things that really happened and things that didn't.

--Sam
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            In fact, her server was compromised to the point that the Chinese government had a live dropbox intercepting every incoming and outgoing communication:

In August 2018, news articles alleged that a Chinese state-owned company hacked former Secretary Clinton’s non-government server and inserted code that forwarded nearly all of her emails to the foreign company. The reporting indicated that two Intelligence Community Inspector General (ICIG) officials – Frank Rucker and Jeanette McMillian – discovered the code and brought the possible intrusion to the attention of the FBI.

https://www.grassley.senate.gov/site...n%20Server.pdf

Plus, her email account depended on outside servers run by companies with lax security standards, or at least companies that were not cleared for government use, and certainly not for trafficking sensitive information.

So even if her server wasn't directly comprised (it was), that doesn't tell us anything about the multiple external servers and computer systems used to pass data back and forth across the internet.
            House Republicans wrote to Grassley about a Daily Caller article alleging a breach, saying that they followed up with ICIG officials but, unsurprisingly, did not find anything worth mentioning except they thought some FBI officials were "indifferent" to chasing down allegations out of the Daily Caller.

One fails to be amazed.

--Sam
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

--Sam
              Which is a good practice so long as law enforcement has not subpoenaed you to turn over the data as part of a criminal investigation. That will get you immediately arrested if your name isn't Hillary Clinton.

Comment

House Republicans wrote to Grassley about a Daily Caller article alleging a breach, saying that they followed up with ICIG officials but, unsurprisingly, did not find anything worth mentioning except they thought some FBI officials were "indifferent" to chasing down allegations out of the Daily Caller.

One fails to be amazed.

--Sam
                The only media reports the FBI take seriously are the ones they themselves leaked.

Comment

It would be helpful if you specified the accusation you're making with some sort of citation. As far as I can recall, you're referring to the incident where a contractor at Platte River Network had wiped the server hosting Clinton's emails and belatedly erased the backup PST file with Bleachbit, which is not a difficult or technically-intensive process.

I honestly don't think most people here have any real detailed recollections of the issue. It's all a jumbled mess of half-remembered things that really happened and things that didn't.

--Sam

Or you could just read the post before answering it.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Or you could just read the post before answering it.

You first said that clearing data so that it can't be retrieved with forensic software can't be done accidentally.

I responded that Bleachbit isn't a complex or difficult program and such deletion is a basic security measure. It wouldn't be the forensically-difficult process you imply.

You responded by saying "You accidentally wiped your computer completely?", which wasn't connected to your first contention and doesn't connect with anything I've said.

So I think there's reason to be confused as to what you're actually talking about and request some specificity.

--Sam

Comment

You first said that clearing data so that it can't be retrieved with forensic software can't be done accidentally.

I responded that Bleachbit isn't a complex or difficult program and such deletion is a basic security measure. It wouldn't be the forensically-difficult process you imply.

You responded by saying "You accidentally wiped your computer completely?", which wasn't connected to your first contention and doesn't connect with anything I've said.

So I think there's reason to be confused as to what you're actually talking about and request some specificity.

--Sam
                      So name a computer this was accidentally installed and used on.

"The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                        So name a computer this was accidentally installed and used on.

Exactly.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Exactly.
                          I don't think y'all understand what you're trying to argue.

No one has argued, ever, that data on Clinton's servers was accidentally lost.

What was argued -- and why it'd be good for your own process to be specific -- is that Clinton "wiped" her server with some high-security grade product that made it impossible to forensically recover and that such a process must have been done with the intent to make recovery impossible, even with forensic tools. This was the rational reading of your first post.

But that's not what Bleachbit is, nor what it really does. It's commercial-grade free software that does a one-pass wipe. It's not even DoD-level erasure.

So it's a good idea to say specifically what you mean and then make a clear, straight thru-line in subsequent posts. Otherwise, it just ends up being nonsense.

--Sam

Comment

What was argued -- and why it'd be good for your own process to be specific -- is that Clinton "wiped" her server with some high-security grade product that made it impossible to forensically recover and that such a process must have been done with the intent to make recovery impossible, even with forensic tools. This was the rational reading of your first post.

But that's not what Bleachbit is, nor what it really does. It's commercial-grade free software that does a one-pass wipe. It's not even DoD-level erasure.

So it's a good idea to say specifically what you mean and then make a clear, straight thru-line in subsequent posts. Otherwise, it just ends up being nonsense.

--Sam
                            The excuses you come up with to excuse away anything Hillary does is truly breathtaking. You’re a full blown, Hillary apologist.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                              Good, don't give these snakes a damn thing, fight them to the Supreme Court.
                              If only Trump would take seriously the next line of the lyric to the song you refer to:

"I ain't workin' here no more!" Although in Trump's case, the word "workin'" is understood figuratively, of course!

Comment

--Sam
                                Translation: Clinton destroyed evidence in deliberate defiance of a lawful subpoena.

Yep, I agree.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment