Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House Democrats brace for some defections among moderates on impeachment of Trump

House Democratic leaders are bracing for some defections among a group of moderate Democrats in swing districts who are concerned a vote to impeach President Trump could cost them their seats in November.

Lawmakers and senior aides are privately predicting they will lose more than the two Democrats who opposed the impeachment inquiry rules package in late September, according to multiple officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to talk frankly. Two senior Democratic aides said the total could be as many as a half-dozen, while a third said the number could be higher.

Predictions about some defections come as a core group of centrists from districts Trump won in 2016 are having second thoughts. While many knew impeachment would never be popular in their GOP-leaning districts, some have been surprised that support hasn’t increased despite negative testimony about Trump from a series of blockbuster hearings last month.

And there are still posters here who deny this is all political.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• rally.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        House Democrats brace for some defections among moderates on impeachment of Trump

House Democratic leaders are bracing for some defections among a group of moderate Democrats in swing districts who are concerned a vote to impeach President Trump could cost them their seats in November.

Lawmakers and senior aides are privately predicting they will lose more than the two Democrats who opposed the impeachment inquiry rules package in late September, according to multiple officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to talk frankly. Two senior Democratic aides said the total could be as many as a half-dozen, while a third said the number could be higher.

Predictions about some defections come as a core group of centrists from districts Trump won in 2016 are having second thoughts. While many knew impeachment would never be popular in their GOP-leaning districts, some have been surprised that support hasn’t increased despite negative testimony about Trump from a series of blockbuster hearings last month.

And there are still posters here who deny this is all political.
        I'm hearing that some of those "defections" are going to be nothing more than their voting for just one of the articles of impeachment but not the other.

I guess they think that'll confuse the voters into thinking that they didn't want to fully impeach Trump but rather only half impeachment.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          I'm hearing that some of those "defections" are going to be nothing more than their voting for just one of the articles of impeachment but not the other.

I guess they think that'll confuse the voters into thinking that they didn't want to fully impeach Trump but rather only half impeachment.
          So, maybe like ... "you 6 guys vote against #1, and us 6 guys will vote against #2" or something like that?

Which, again, shows how POLITICAL this really is.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post

It is interesting how liberals idolize someone that sails around the world, flaunting their privilege, while attacking others for doing the same. What was I doing at 16? Going to school because my parents were broke and I was determined not to be, as an adult. Must be nice not to have to do that.
            00000000000000aaa3ca.gif

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41330[/ATTACH]
              Are those plastic buttons on her shirt?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Are those plastic buttons on her shirt?
                00000000000000aaa3ca1.gif

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  In arguing that Trump abused power, the Democrats keep reiterating that THEY have the SOLE POWER to set rules for impeachment (which they do) but they extend that to justify demanding documents and testimony from the Executive Branch with no right whatsoever to appeal to the Judicial.

In other words, in accusing Trump of abuse of power, the Democrats are abusing their own power.
                  Sole power means sole power, they don't need the courts. The executive doesn't have the power to deny subpoened documents or to block supoened witnesses as the judge in the McGahn case explained. "The President is not a King," even though you apparently would that he were. The courts can force the issue, again, as the Judge in the McGahn case did, but that's only necessary when and if the president violates the Constitution. by acting "like a King."

Comment

• Even idiots can follow this argument:

“Senate Republicans say there is an early consensus building within their ranks for a short impeachment trial that could see the GOP-led chamber vote on a likely acquittal of President Donald Trump without hearing from any witnesses.”
                    That would be such a ridiculous dereliction of duty, such an obvious sign they are toadies of the president, that I sort of hope they do it. The American people would see the House bring forth 17 witnesses, more than 100 hours of testimony while the Senate has, well, nothing. It’s not clear frankly that you can have a “trial” without witnesses or evidence.
                    WaPo
                    We will see what happens.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                      The President has a right to ask the court if he has to for go his Executive Privilege going up to the highest court if he wants it is up to the congress to show just cause through out the whole appeal process. The House Democrats chose not to continue fighting the appeal they do not have the right to call it obstruction for the President to ask the THIRD BRANCH of the government rule on whether the legislative branch's reason for wanting the privileged information is enough to overturn the Executive branches privilege.

By your criteria here Obama was guilty of obstruction of Congress when he did the same thing Trump is doing appeal ask the Judicial branch to decide between his administration and congress. Do you really want to go there or will you admit that your leftist handlers are wrong here and finely think for youself.

The Founding Fathers created 3 Branches of Government just for this type of situation where 2 co equal branches disagree with each other on who is right.
                      It has nothing to do with priviledged information, RTT. As the President, through a signed letter from his Attorney made clear, "the president has no intention to cooperate with the House impeachment inquiry in any way." That is, on its face, an admission of intended obstruction which is exactly what the President has followed though on.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        Sole power means sole power, they don't need the courts.
                        You still need the courts to adjudicate between conflicting claims.

Comment

You still need the courts to adjudicate between conflicting claims.
                          If the claims were actually conflicted, yes. But they're not. The President is simply abusing his power by denying Congress their right to the documents and testimony requested.

Comment

• "Sole power of impeachment" simply means they get to make the final decision about whether or not a president is impeached. It doesn't mean they get to rule over the entire process like kings.

(And Democrats are SO concerned about "abuse of power". )
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              "Sole power of impeachment" simply means they get to make the final decision about whether or not a president is impeached. It doesn't mean they get to rule over the entire process like kings.

(And Democrats are SO concerned about "abuse of power". )
                              I've just been listening to Nadler stammering through an attempt to defend this nonsense that he has "sole power" ---- but, like the Democrats have been repeating all morning "no one is above the law".

They really do think they can have it both ways. Long live King Nadler!!! (I wonder if Schiff is jealous)

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                If the claims were actually conflicted, yes. But they're not.
                                That's what this hearing is all about, Jim.

The President is simply abusing his power by denying Congress their right to the documents and testimony requested.
                                That's the liberal talking point, yes, but it negates the power of the third branch of government, and concedes it to a handful of partisans on ONE COMMITTEE from ONE HALF of one of the branches of government.

Trump is not King. Neither is Nadler.

Comment