Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
    Is Gerson a democrat?
    He owns a cat.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
      Is Gerson a democrat?
      I still don't know who he is or why I should give a pair of fetid dingos about his opinion.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I still don't know who he is or why I should give a pair of fetid dingos about his opinion.
        Charles often likes what he has to say, and posts snippets of his opinion pieces here. Shouldn't that be enough for everybody?
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          For one thing the evidence is not hearsay, and for another the transcript, the redacted transcript, doesn't refute the complaint, it substantiates it.
          How's life in that bubble of yours, Jim?

Comment

• Jerry Nadler’s absolutely underwhelming articles of impeachment

As to the "overwhelming evidence"....

Just 11 weeks after Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced her “official impeachment inquiry,” Judiciary Committee chief Jerry Nadler released his draft articles of impeachment — remarkably weak ones.

The same day, Pelosi announced a deal with President Trump to pass his US-Mexico-Canada trade deal, replacing NAFTA. It’s a win for him and for her moderate members — yet the speaker is simultaneously treating the president as a threat to the republic and as a man she can do business with.

The reason may be as simple as the polls: The latest Quinnipiac survey shows sentiment against impeachment at its strongest since Pelosi got the ball rolling on Sept. 24, with more than half of voters now saying Trump shouldn’t be removed from office.

Partisan leaks from Rep. Adam Schiff’s early closed-door hearings had shifted public opinion slightly the other way through the end of October, when the House finally voted to OK impeachment proceedings. But the public hearings have since pushed the needle all the way back, and then some.

Why? Well, Democrats have been confused on just what Trump did wrong. All their early talk of a “quid pro quo” in Trump’s July phone call with Ukraine’s president turned (after some polling) into charges of “bribery” and “extortion.” Yet all those terms are absent from Nadler’s articles......

Nadler takes the "over" out of "whelming".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                So?
                It's pretty much all Charles can contribute when he's not trying to stir up trouble.

The lad really does need to stay in the car.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Also it seems the democrats introduced the Articles of Impeachment without even giving the Republicans a minority day of hearing where they could call witnesses and such.

78925614_2639426986102948_2644039995504984064_n.jpg

GOP calls for minority hearing on impeachment, threatens procedural measures
                  By Juliegrace Brufke - 12/10/19 04:40 PM EST

Top Republicans in the House are vowing to use every procedural tool available to them to strong-arm Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee and get them to hold a minority hearing on impeachment.

In a letter led by House Freedom Caucus Chairman Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.), sent to Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) on Tuesday, the conservative members noted Republicans had previously requested a minority hearing be held before articles of impeachment were introduced. The group argued that while Democrats did not comply with their requested timeline, under current rules they are entitled to a hearing.

“During the open hearing on December 4, 2019, Congressman [Jim] Sensenbrenner [R-Wis.], on behalf of all of the Republican members of the House Judiciary Committee, presented you with a request for a minority hearing in compliance with Clause 2(1)(1) of Rule XI. To date, you have ignored the request and failed to respond to repeated questioning on the matter,” they wrote.

The lawmakers went on to allege the Democrats’ probe has been conducted at an “unprecedented speed,” adding that while they do not control the panel’s schedule, they feel the minority hearing should be held before the articles are voted on in the committee in coming days.

“The House rules do not afford you the ability to deny this request. Though scheduling is left to your discretion, when considering the unprecedented speed at which the majority is moving towards impeaching a duly elected president, a delay under these circumstances is tantamount to a denial of our right to a minority hearing,” they continued.

“Until our procedural rights as Members of the United States House of Representatives are respected, we will avail ourselves of every parliamentary tool available to us in committees and the House floor in order to highlight your inaction,” it reads.

In addition to Biggs, 71 GOP lawmakers including House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (Calif.), Minority Whip Steve Scalise (La.), GOP Conference Chairwoman Liz Cheney (Wyo,) signed onto the letter.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...use-procedural

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Also it seems the democrats introduced the Articles of Impeachment without even giving the Republicans a minority day of hearing where they could call witnesses and such.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41311[/ATTACH]

GOP calls for minority hearing on impeachment, threatens procedural measures
                    By Juliegrace Brufke - 12/10/19 04:40 PM EST

Top Republicans in the House are vowing to use every procedural tool available to them to strong-arm Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee and get them to hold a minority hearing on impeachment.

In a letter led by House Freedom Caucus Chairman Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.), sent to Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) on Tuesday, the conservative members noted Republicans had previously requested a minority hearing be held before articles of impeachment were introduced. The group argued that while Democrats did not comply with their requested timeline, under current rules they are entitled to a hearing.

“During the open hearing on December 4, 2019, Congressman [Jim] Sensenbrenner [R-Wis.], on behalf of all of the Republican members of the House Judiciary Committee, presented you with a request for a minority hearing in compliance with Clause 2(1)(1) of Rule XI. To date, you have ignored the request and failed to respond to repeated questioning on the matter,” they wrote.

The lawmakers went on to allege the Democrats’ probe has been conducted at an “unprecedented speed,” adding that while they do not control the panel’s schedule, they feel the minority hearing should be held before the articles are voted on in the committee in coming days.

“The House rules do not afford you the ability to deny this request. Though scheduling is left to your discretion, when considering the unprecedented speed at which the majority is moving towards impeaching a duly elected president, a delay under these circumstances is tantamount to a denial of our right to a minority hearing,” they continued.

“Until our procedural rights as Members of the United States House of Representatives are respected, we will avail ourselves of every parliamentary tool available to us in committees and the House floor in order to highlight your inaction,” it reads.

In addition to Biggs, 71 GOP lawmakers including House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (Calif.), Minority Whip Steve Scalise (La.), GOP Conference Chairwoman Liz Cheney (Wyo,) signed onto the letter.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...use-procedural
                    Does it matter? The articles were likely written months ago, and there's nothing the House Republicans can do or say that will change the Democrat party's mind. Just let it go.
                    Last edited by Mountain Man; 12-11-2019, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Does it matter? The articles were likely written months ago, and there's the House Republicans can do or say that will change the Democrat party's mind. Just let it go.
                      I don't really think the articles were written "months ago", cause they were still huddling with focus groups to find something "overwhelmingly powerful" to convince America they're doing the right thing.

Comment

Does it matter? The articles were likely written months ago, and there's nothing the House Republicans can do or say that will change the Democrat party's mind. Just let it go.
                        It matters because if they aren't following the rules then their whole sham of impeachment is invalid and illegal.

It would be like having a trial and not letting the defense have a say. (yes I know this isn't a trial)

Comment

I don't really think the articles were written "months ago", cause they were still huddling with focus groups to find something "overwhelmingly powerful" to convince America they're doing the right thing.

They could have been fill-in-the-blank preprinted forms, sort of like how some of those opposed to Kavanaugh were when Trump announced his nomination.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Nah, the focus group was for the media narrative. I think they always planned on vague charges in the articles themselves because they knew they couldn't prove anything specific.

Comment

Nope Americans deserve to hear all the evidence not just the third and fourth hand hearsay and opinions masquerading as evidence the Democrats are trying to foist on the American people. only low information folks like JimL et al on this board are satisfied with teh non evidence the Democrats are disseminating.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                                Nope Americans deserve to hear all the evidence not just the third and fourth hand hearsay and opinions masquerading as evidence the Democrats are trying to foist on the American people. only low information folks like JimL et al on this board are satisfied with teh non evidence the Democrats are disseminating.
                                I just think that will have a better chance of happening in a Senate trial where there will be lawyers, due process, and rules of evidence.

Comment